Slimserver Tar help needed

  • scottnasello
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2005
      I am trying to upgrade to Slimserver v6 for my new squeezebox2.

      I moved my working slim config to /usr/local/slimserver_old

      then I created a new slimserver at /usr/local/slimserver

      I am having a ton of issues trying to tar the tar.gz...

      I sent this command:

      :/# tar -zxvf SlimServer_v6.0.tar.tar usr/local/slimserver

      with this response:

      tar: usr/local/slimserver: Not found in archive

      I am following the how tos, and this worked for the old version of
      slimserver...

      my thinking is that it is thinking that "usr/local/slimserver" is not
      being intepreted as the path I want to extract to. Any help would be
      excellent
    • Jonathan Schott
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2005
        Hi there!

        scottnasello schrieb:
        > I sent this command:
        >
        > :/# tar -zxvf SlimServer_v6.0.tar.tar usr/local/slimserver
        >
        > with this response:
        >
        > tar: usr/local/slimserver: Not found in archive
        >
        > I am following the how tos, and this worked for the old version of
        > slimserver...
        >
        > my thinking is that it is thinking that "usr/local/slimserver" is not
        > being intepreted as the path I want to extract to. Any help would be
        > excellent

        The problem is, that tar doesn't work this way. You can't specify a
        target folder this way. To unpack the files in the right place simply cd
        into the target dir and then run "tar -xvzf <path/to/your/file>".

        Regards,
        Jonathan
      • Marc D. Field
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5, 2005
          On 04/05/2005 01:11 AM, scottnasello wrote:
          > :/# tar -zxvf SlimServer_v6.0.tar.tar usr/local/slimserver
          >
          > with this response:
          >
          > tar: usr/local/slimserver: Not found in archive

          Another option:

          Remove the empty /usr/local/slimserver you just created (rm -r
          /usr/local/slimserver).

          Extract the Slimserver download wherever it stands (cd to the directory
          that has the downloaded file, then tar zxvf SlimServer_v6.0.tar.tar).

          Move the extracted directory where you want it to go (mv SlimServer6
          /usr/local/slimserver).

          BTW, if you do let tar put the files into place for you, note that you
          probably want to add the / at the start of usr/local/slimserver.

          Marc