Re: External HD format

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3 1:55 PM
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "John Peach"
      <yahoospam@j...> wrote:

      > Here is a little hacking technique for you. If you have an NTFS
      > partition but you do not have security priv to read/write to it.
      Put
      > the drive in a linux machine, then use a root account to do
      whatever
      > you want to the partition. This has saved my ass a couple of
      times.

      > Peach
      >

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Taka Torimoto"
      > <ttorimoto@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > What are the compatible external (USB) hard drive formats for
      > > read/write on the LinkStation?
      > >
      > > I assume FAT32 will work for both read/write...
      > >
      > > do we have read/write access to NTFS formatted HDs on the
      external
      > > (USB) drive?

      Linux write access to NTFS is very sketchy and not included in the
      LS's OS by default. Currently there are two ways to enable write
      support:

      1) Compile the kernel/module with the "dangerous" write support
      turned on. In this case it works okay only if you are editing
      existing files and never changing the overall size of the edited
      files (at least don't make them ask for more allocation space).

      2) Use "captive-ntfs", which actually uses the Microsoft NTFS driver
      with a Linux "wrapper" around it. It seems to have very poor
      performance, but worse yet, if you crash, unplug, etc the drive
      without unmounting it, you will lose the entire file system! At
      least that is what happened to me once. Otherwise it does work, and
      works great for hacking into Windows/NTFS disks to try to fix them
      so they will boot up again.

      If that external hard drive is *normally* going to be used on the
      LS, you might consider just formatting it EXT3, then it will give
      the best performance with the linkstation. If you ever need to plug
      it into a Windows machine, there are ways to do that with extra
      software or drivers.