v2 Software

  • Simon Middleton
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2005
      Hi, so I just picked up a LinkStation 250 (note for UK buyers -
      Staples are currently selling them for £180, which is way cheaper
      than
      I've seen online) and started reading up on root access. Then of
      course I discovered that this doesn't seem to be possible with a new
      box that ships with v2 software. Does anyone have any new information
      on this? Or any other plans on how to get access to one of these
      boxes?

      It shipped with 2.0, I tried installing the 2.04 release from the ftp
      site and that added PCast support but no other noticeable difference.

      My main purpose for buying this was so I could stick TwonkyVision on
      it and have a nice standalone media server - still more storage is
      always useful I guess.

      It's a shame that the PCast server isn't actually a UPNP AV server
      itself really which of course would solve my problem.

      -- Simo.