Re: External HD format

  • John Peach
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2005
      If you go to a shell prompt and type:
      mfdisk /dev/hda
      then enter "l" at the prompt you get a list of supported filing
      systems.

      You will see that FAT16,FAT32 and NTFS are supported. Here is the
      list (reformatted). The first column is the ID and the second is the
      file system type:

      0 Empty
      1b Hidden Win95 FA
      64 Novell Netware
      bb Boot Wizard hid
      1 FAT12
      1c Hidden Win95 FA
      65 Novell Netware
      c1 DRDOS/sec (FAT-
      2 XENIX root
      1e Hidden Win95 FA
      70 DiskSecure Mult
      c4 DRDOS/sec (FAT-
      3 XENIX usr
      24 NEC DOS
      75 PC/IX
      c6 DRDOS/sec (FAT-
      4 FAT16 <32M
      39 Plan 9
      80 Old Minix
      c7 Syrinx
      5 Extended
      3c PartitionMagic
      81 Minix / old Lin
      da Non-FS data
      6 FAT16
      82 Linux swap
      db CP/M / CTOS / .
      7 HPFS/NTFS
      41 PPC PReP Boot
      83 Linux
      de Dell Utility
      8 AIX
      42 SFS
      84 OS/2 hidden C:
      df BootIt
      9 AIX bootable
      4d QNX4.x
      85 Linux extended
      e1 DOS access
      a OS/2 Boot Manag
      4e QNX4.x 2nd part
      86 NTFS volume set e3 DOS R/O
      b Win95 FAT32
      4f QNX4.x 3rd part
      87 NTFS volume set
      e4 SpeedStor
      c Win95 FAT32 (LB
      50 OnTrack DM
      8e Linux LVM
      eb BeOS fs
      e Win95 FAT16 (LB
      51 OnTrack DM6 Aux
      93 Amoeba
      ee EFI GPT
      f Win95 Ext'd (LB
      52 CP/M
      94 Amoeba BBT
      ef EFI (FAT-12/16/
      10 OPUS
      53 OnTrack DM6 Aux
      9f BSD/OS
      f0 Linux/PA-RISC b
      11 Hidden FAT12
      54 OnTrackDM6
      a0 IBM Thinkpad hi
      f1 SpeedStor
      12 Compaq diagnost
      55 EZ-Drive
      a5 BSD/386
      f4 SpeedStor
      14 Hidden FAT16 <3
      56 Golden Bow
      a6 OpenBSD
      f2 DOS secondary
      16 Hidden FAT16
      5c Priam Edisk
      a7 NeXTSTEP
      fd Linux raid auto
      17 Hidden HPFS/NTF
      61 SpeedStor
      b7 BSDI fs
      fe LANstep
      18 AST SmartSleep
      63 GNU HURD or Sys
      b8 BSDI swap
      ff BBT

      Here is a little hacking technique for you. If you have an NTFS
      partition but you do not have security priv to read/write to it. Put
      the drive in a linux machine, then use a root account to do whatever
      you want to the partition. This has saved my ass a couple of times.

      Peach

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Taka Torimoto"

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "John Peach"
        <yahoospam@j...> wrote:

        > Here is a little hacking technique for you. If you have an NTFS
        > partition but you do not have security priv to read/write to it.
        Put
        > the drive in a linux machine, then use a root account to do
        whatever
        > you want to the partition. This has saved my ass a couple of
        times.

        > Peach
        >

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Taka Torimoto"
        > <ttorimoto@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > What are the compatible external (USB) hard drive formats for
        > > read/write on the LinkStation?
        > >
        > > I assume FAT32 will work for both read/write...
        > >
        > > do we have read/write access to NTFS formatted HDs on the
        external
        > > (USB) drive?

        Linux write access to NTFS is very sketchy and not included in the
        LS's OS by default. Currently there are two ways to enable write
        support:

        1) Compile the kernel/module with the "dangerous" write support
        turned on. In this case it works okay only if you are editing
        existing files and never changing the overall size of the edited
        files (at least don't make them ask for more allocation space).

        2) Use "captive-ntfs", which actually uses the Microsoft NTFS driver
        with a Linux "wrapper" around it. It seems to have very poor
        performance, but worse yet, if you crash, unplug, etc the drive
        without unmounting it, you will lose the entire file system! At
        least that is what happened to me once. Otherwise it does work, and
        works great for hacking into Windows/NTFS disks to try to fix them
        so they will boot up again.

        If that external hard drive is *normally* going to be used on the
        LS, you might consider just formatting it EXT3, then it will give
        the best performance with the linkstation. If you ever need to plug
        it into a Windows machine, there are ways to do that with extra
        software or drivers.