External HD format

  • Taka Torimoto
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2005
      What are the compatible external (USB) hard drive formats for
      read/write on the LinkStation?

      I assume FAT32 will work for both read/write...

      do we have read/write access to NTFS formatted HDs on the external
      (USB) drive?
    • John Peach
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2005
        If you go to a shell prompt and type:
        mfdisk /dev/hda
        then enter "l" at the prompt you get a list of supported filing
        systems.

        You will see that FAT16,FAT32 and NTFS are supported. Here is the
        list (reformatted). The first column is the ID and the second is the
        file system type:

        0 Empty
        1b Hidden Win95 FA
        64 Novell Netware
        bb Boot Wizard hid
        1 FAT12
        1c Hidden Win95 FA
        65 Novell Netware
        c1 DRDOS/sec (FAT-
        2 XENIX root
        1e Hidden Win95 FA
        70 DiskSecure Mult
        c4 DRDOS/sec (FAT-
        3 XENIX usr
        24 NEC DOS
        75 PC/IX
        c6 DRDOS/sec (FAT-
        4 FAT16 <32M
        39 Plan 9
        80 Old Minix
        c7 Syrinx
        5 Extended
        3c PartitionMagic
        81 Minix / old Lin
        da Non-FS data
        6 FAT16
        82 Linux swap
        db CP/M / CTOS / .
        7 HPFS/NTFS
        41 PPC PReP Boot
        83 Linux
        de Dell Utility
        8 AIX
        42 SFS
        84 OS/2 hidden C:
        df BootIt
        9 AIX bootable
        4d QNX4.x
        85 Linux extended
        e1 DOS access
        a OS/2 Boot Manag
        4e QNX4.x 2nd part
        86 NTFS volume set e3 DOS R/O
        b Win95 FAT32
        4f QNX4.x 3rd part
        87 NTFS volume set
        e4 SpeedStor
        c Win95 FAT32 (LB
        50 OnTrack DM
        8e Linux LVM
        eb BeOS fs
        e Win95 FAT16 (LB
        51 OnTrack DM6 Aux
        93 Amoeba
        ee EFI GPT
        f Win95 Ext'd (LB
        52 CP/M
        94 Amoeba BBT
        ef EFI (FAT-12/16/
        10 OPUS
        53 OnTrack DM6 Aux
        9f BSD/OS
        f0 Linux/PA-RISC b
        11 Hidden FAT12
        54 OnTrackDM6
        a0 IBM Thinkpad hi
        f1 SpeedStor
        12 Compaq diagnost
        55 EZ-Drive
        a5 BSD/386
        f4 SpeedStor
        14 Hidden FAT16 <3
        56 Golden Bow
        a6 OpenBSD
        f2 DOS secondary
        16 Hidden FAT16
        5c Priam Edisk
        a7 NeXTSTEP
        fd Linux raid auto
        17 Hidden HPFS/NTF
        61 SpeedStor
        b7 BSDI fs
        fe LANstep
        18 AST SmartSleep
        63 GNU HURD or Sys
        b8 BSDI swap
        ff BBT

        Here is a little hacking technique for you. If you have an NTFS
        partition but you do not have security priv to read/write to it. Put
        the drive in a linux machine, then use a root account to do whatever
        you want to the partition. This has saved my ass a couple of times.

        Peach

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Taka Torimoto"

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "John Peach"
          <yahoospam@j...> wrote:

          > Here is a little hacking technique for you. If you have an NTFS
          > partition but you do not have security priv to read/write to it.
          Put
          > the drive in a linux machine, then use a root account to do
          whatever
          > you want to the partition. This has saved my ass a couple of
          times.

          > Peach
          >

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Taka Torimoto"
          > <ttorimoto@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > What are the compatible external (USB) hard drive formats for
          > > read/write on the LinkStation?
          > >
          > > I assume FAT32 will work for both read/write...
          > >
          > > do we have read/write access to NTFS formatted HDs on the
          external
          > > (USB) drive?

          Linux write access to NTFS is very sketchy and not included in the
          LS's OS by default. Currently there are two ways to enable write
          support:

          1) Compile the kernel/module with the "dangerous" write support
          turned on. In this case it works okay only if you are editing
          existing files and never changing the overall size of the edited
          files (at least don't make them ask for more allocation space).

          2) Use "captive-ntfs", which actually uses the Microsoft NTFS driver
          with a Linux "wrapper" around it. It seems to have very poor
          performance, but worse yet, if you crash, unplug, etc the drive
          without unmounting it, you will lose the entire file system! At
          least that is what happened to me once. Otherwise it does work, and
          works great for hacking into Windows/NTFS disks to try to fix them
          so they will boot up again.

          If that external hard drive is *normally* going to be used on the
          LS, you might consider just formatting it EXT3, then it will give
          the best performance with the linkstation. If you ever need to plug
          it into a Windows machine, there are ways to do that with extra
          software or drivers.