Re: SlimServer 6.0 - Installation Issues

  • rod_tucker
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bubba" <bubba@c...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > Has anybody successfully installed SlimServer 6 on the LinkStation?
      I'm
      > running version 5.4, and I've upgraded Perl to version 5.8, but no
      matter
      > what I try, SlimServer 6 won't run (it complains of missing, dependent
      > files, namely "Storable.pm").
      >
      > I've tried going through various how-to's online with no success, and
      I've
      > tried installing the LinkStation binaries. Anybody have any ideas?
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Mil.

      I had exactly the same problem when I tried this about a week ago. I
      eventually gave up on Slimserver 6 and tried the the daily updated beta
      version instead. It loaded OK and works just fine.

      Rod Tucker
    • scottnasello
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 5, 2005
        I tried 2 different nightly betas & both of them complain about
        storable.pm as well as Columngrouper.pm, DBI.pm, to name a few. I am
        running perl 5.6.1

        any thoughts?

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "rod_tucker"
        <rod_tucker@y...> wrote:

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bubba" <bubba@c...>
        wrote:
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > Has anybody successfully installed SlimServer 6 on the
        LinkStation?
        > I'm
        > > running version 5.4, and I've upgraded Perl to version 5.8, but
        no
        > matter
        > > what I try, SlimServer 6 won't run (it complains of missing,
        dependent
        > > files, namely "Storable.pm").
        > >
        > > I've tried going through various how-to's online with no success,
        and
        > I've
        > > tried installing the LinkStation binaries. Anybody have any ideas?
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > >
        > > Mil.
        >
        > I had exactly the same problem when I tried this about a week ago.
        > eventually gave up on Slimserver 6 and tried the the daily updated
        beta
        > version instead. It loaded OK and works just fine.
        >
        > Rod Tucker
      • scottnasello
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 5, 2005
          where can i get perl 5.8?

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "scottnasello"
          <trash@s...> wrote:

          > I tried 2 different nightly betas & both of them complain about
          > storable.pm as well as Columngrouper.pm, DBI.pm, to name a few. I
          am
          > running perl 5.6.1
          >
          > any thoughts?
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "rod_tucker"
          > <rod_tucker@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bubba" <bubba@c...>
          > wrote:
          > > > Hi,
          > > >
          > > > Has anybody successfully installed SlimServer 6 on the
          > LinkStation?
          > > I'm
          > > > running version 5.4, and I've upgraded Perl to version 5.8, but
          > no
          > > matter
          > > > what I try, SlimServer 6 won't run (it complains of missing,
          > dependent
          > > > files, namely "Storable.pm").
          > > >
          > > > I've tried going through various how-to's online with no
          success,
          > and
          > > I've
          > > > tried installing the LinkStation binaries. Anybody have any
          ideas?

          > > > Regards,
          > > >
          > > > Mil.
          > >
          > > I had exactly the same problem when I tried this about a week
          ago.
          > > eventually gave up on Slimserver 6 and tried the the daily
          updated
          > beta
          > > version instead. It loaded OK and works just fine.
          > >
          > > Rod Tucker
        • bubba
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 5, 2005
            Let everyone know if you make any progress.... I've been tearing my hair out
            trying to get 6.0 running for a while now!

            > I tried 2 different nightly betas & both of them complain about
            > storable.pm as well as Columngrouper.pm, DBI.pm, to name a few. I
            am
            > running perl 5.6.1
            >
            > any thoughts?
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "rod_tucker"
            > <rod_tucker@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bubba" <bubba@c...>
            > wrote:
            > > > Hi,
            > > >
            > > > Has anybody successfully installed SlimServer 6 on the
            > LinkStation?
            > > I'm
            > > > running version 5.4, and I've upgraded Perl to version 5.8, but
            > no
            > > matter
            > > > what I try, SlimServer 6 won't run (it complains of missing,
            > dependent
            > > > files, namely "Storable.pm").
            > > >
            > > > I've tried going through various how-to's online with no
            success,
            > and
            > > I've
            > > > tried installing the LinkStation binaries. Anybody have any
            ideas?

            > > > Regards,
            > > >
            > > > Mil.
            > >
            > > I had exactly the same problem when I tried this about a week
            ago.
            > > eventually gave up on Slimserver 6 and tried the the daily
            updated
            > beta
            > > version instead. It loaded OK and works just fine.
            > >
            > > Rod Tucker

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • born_daniel
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 5, 2005
              Many of these issues have been discussed and resolved in the past.
              Your best resource is the "Search" button in this group... ;-)

              See here:

              Daniel

              wrote:

              > Let everyone know if you make any progress.... I've been tearing my
              hair out
              > trying to get 6.0 running for a while now!

              Issues

              > where can i get perl 5.8?
              >
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "scottnasello"
              > <trash@s...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I tried 2 different nightly betas & both of them complain about
              > > storable.pm as well as Columngrouper.pm, DBI.pm, to name a few. I
              > am
              > > running perl 5.6.1
              > >
              > > any thoughts?
              > >
              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "rod_tucker"
              > > <rod_tucker@y...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bubba" <bubba@c...>

              > > LinkStation?
              > > > I'm
              > > no
              > > > matter
              > > dependent

              > success,
              > > and
              > > > I've
              > ideas?

              > > > I had exactly the same problem when I tried this about a week
              > ago.
              > > > eventually gave up on Slimserver 6 and tried the the daily
              > updated
              > > beta
              > > > version instead. It loaded OK and works just fine.
              > > >
              > > > Rod Tucker
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Marc D. Field
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 5, 2005
                On 04/05/2005 01:59 AM, scottnasello wrote:
                > where can i get perl 5.8?

                Hi,

                You can get Perl 5.8 from my site,
                <http://fieldnetworks.com/slim/linkstation.html>. I'm not sure why
                things aren't working for some people. I'm using the release version of
                SlimServer 6 with no problems.

                One question: for those upgrading from SlimServer 5.4, are you deleting
                or moving the old SlimServer directory before installing SlimServer 6?
                Or just extracting the new SlimServer files over an existing
                installation? You need to do the former. Something like this:

                mv /mnt/slimserver /mnt/slimserver-old (where /mnt/slimserver represents
                the full path to your existing slimserver directory)

                tar xzvf /mnt/share/slimserver-6-download.tar.gz (where
                mnt/slimserver-6-download.tar.gz represents the full path to the
                downloaded slim 6 file)

                mv /mnt/share/SlimServer6 /mnt/slimserver (where /mnt/share/SlimServer6
                represents the full path to the directory that's created as a result of
                extracting the downloaded file)

                If you created a directory to hold the data files, then I'd make a copy
                of that as well, in case you do need to go back to slim 5.4. Something
                like this:

                cp -r /mnt/slim-data /mnt/slim-data-old

                Then I'd kill the 5.4 Slimserver process (ps -A; then kill n, where n is
                the process number for Slimserver...or just reboot). Then start the new
                slimserver.

                Marc
              • scottnasello
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 5, 2005