Upgrading/Replacing Drive within Linkstation

  • Taka Torimoto
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1 10:22 AM
      Hey guys. I just got myself a 160GB LinkStation (sorry to say it's
      not a 2.0 hardware; i flashed the firmware to 1.46.10 tho).

      Are there any step-by-step instructions (document or web page) on how
      to upgrade the internal drive? If not, we need to make one (I'd do it
      if I knew what the steps were!). :)

      And what is the max capacity the Linkstation can handle?
      Will any drive work?

      thanks.

      -taka
    • lb_worm
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2005
        Has anyone done this sort of thing yet?

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Taka Torimoto"
        <ttorimoto@y...> wrote:

        > Hey guys. I just got myself a 160GB LinkStation (sorry to say it's
        > not a 2.0 hardware; i flashed the firmware to 1.46.10 tho).
        >
        > Are there any step-by-step instructions (document or web page) on how
        > to upgrade the internal drive? If not, we need to make one (I'd do it
        > if I knew what the steps were!). :)
        >
        > And what is the max capacity the Linkstation can handle?
        > Will any drive work?
        >
        > thanks.
        >
        > -taka
      • balimbabullabe
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2005
          I have not upgraded to a bigger hard disc but I installed a different
          hard disc because I was a little cowardous and didn't want to mess my
          linkstation up ;-)
          I made an image of the first partition and stored it on a pc in my
          network which has a ftp server. Then I installed a new hard disc (40GB
          in this case) and created these partitions:

          1. partition with the same size as the first partition of the
          Linkstation's hard disc
          2. a swap partition (about the same size as the 250GB disc of my
          Linkstation II had)
          3. the rest

          To the first partition I copied the image (transferred it to the third
          partition using ftp and then did a dd if=/mnt/hda3/hda1.bin of=/dev/hda1.

          All of these partitions were primary partitions. I did this on a
          normal x86 pc and then put the disc into the Linkstation and it booted
          fine.

          It was a good idea I did this because during my hacking efforts I
          messed the disc up many times. ;-)
          I think it shouldn't be a problem to install and "normal" P-ATA hard
          disc that's correctly jumpered. The latest Linkstation is sold with a
          400GB (or was it 350GB ?) drive.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lb_worm"
          <bobateiger@h...> wrote:
          > Has anyone done this sort of thing yet?
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Taka Torimoto"
          > <ttorimoto@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hey guys. I just got myself a 160GB LinkStation (sorry to say it's
          > > not a 2.0 hardware; i flashed the firmware to 1.46.10 tho).
          > >
          > > Are there any step-by-step instructions (document or web page) on how
          > > to upgrade the internal drive? If not, we need to make one (I'd do it
          > > if I knew what the steps were!). :)
          > >
          > > And what is the max capacity the Linkstation can handle?
          > > Will any drive work?
          > >
          > > thanks.
          > >
          > > -taka
        • JSCHLADE
          Message 4 of 7 , May 15, 2005
            Hi All,

            I just bought a LS 160 and it came with firmware 2.04 (looks like a
            have LS II?). I did some tests with Windows 2003 and everything
            worked great but I wanted to upgrade the internal hard drive. I
            didn't think it would be problem till I realized you couldn't easily
            open it but I found some great instructions here:

            http://www.natfairbanks.com/

            So I stuck in a 320G hard drive that was formatted using FAT32 but my
            LS failed to boot up and the diagnostic light blinked 6 times. I
            called Buffalo support and found out this means there's a hard drive
            problem but they weren't too helpful. So I searched the net and
            luckily found this group. I've read some posts and it looks like it
            can be done but I have a few questions:

            1) Do I just need to init the hard drive and stick it in again?
            2) Will the LS automatically format it and create the needed
            partitions?
            3) I guess I should have looked at how the original hard drive was
            partition but I assumed the LS OS was in the firmware. Does anyone
            some step by step instructions?
            4) What's on these partitions?

            Thanks,
            John
          • balimbabullabe
            Message 5 of 7 , May 15, 2005
              > I just bought a LS 160 and it came with firmware 2.04 (looks like a
              > have LS II?). I did some tests with Windows 2003 and everything

              yes, that's Linkstation II

              > So I stuck in a 320G hard drive that was formatted using FAT32 but
              > my LS failed to boot up and the diagnostic light blinked 6 times.

              That's because Linkstations only have a part of the software they need
              for booting in flash. The rest is stored on the first partition.

              > 1) Do I just need to init the hard drive and stick it in again?
              > 2) Will the LS automatically format it and create the needed
              > partitions?

              No and no.

              > 3) I guess I should have looked at how the original hard drive was
              > partition but I assumed the LS OS was in the firmware. Does anyone
              > some step by step instructions?
              > 4) What's on these partitions?

              John, have a look at the hacking howto in the links section. It does
              not give you a detailed instruction how to replace the internal drive
              but it could give you an idea how to do this. I myself replaced (for
              testing purposed) the internal 250GB harddrive with a 40GB drive,
              perhaps I will write the steps down and integrate them into the howto.
            • balimbabullabe
              Message 6 of 7 , May 15, 2005
                > but it could give you an idea how to do this. I myself replaced (for
                > testing purposed) the internal 250GB harddrive with a 40GB drive,
                > perhaps I will write the steps down and integrate them into the howto.

                because the tv program is boring today I decided to update the howto.
                Your 320GB drive is bigger than the maximum Buffalo sells. I think it
                would be interesting for people to read what's the maximum size the
                Linkstation supports. Someone here with a 400MB drive ?
              • JSCHLADE
                Message 7 of 7 , May 17, 2005

                  Thanks for updating your document. It was very useful to print out
                  and reference when I performed the hard drive upgrade last night.
                  After repartitioning my new hard drive into the 3 partitions for the
                  OS, swap and storage, the LS still failed to boot up after inserting
                  the new drive.

                  I even made sure I set the jumper on the drive to MS like the
                  original one is configured.

                  I used ff to copy the first partition to the new drive from the old
                  drive. It was easy to setup the 2nd partition which was swap. The 3
                  one took a little bit because I had to format it.

                  Does anyone know what could be going wrong? I hope I didn't toast
                  this thing. The more I read and learn about it, the more I like it.
                  Tonight I'll verify that I can still use the old drive. It should
                  work since I didn't do anything to it beside run that utility
                  that "unhides" the partitions.

                  Does, anyone have a good recommendation on how to debug this issue?
                  I don't understand what problem it would be having with the drive?
                  All the partitions look great. Does the 1st one have to bootable or
                  something? I'm definitely not a UNIX expert, but I know enough to be
                  dangerous.

                  Thanks again,
                  John

                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"