SlimServer 6.0 - Installation Issues

  • bubba
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005

      Has anybody successfully installed SlimServer 6 on the LinkStation? I'm
      running version 5.4, and I've upgraded Perl to version 5.8, but no matter
      what I try, SlimServer 6 won't run (it complains of missing, dependent
      files, namely "Storable.pm").

      I've tried going through various how-to's online with no success, and I've
      tried installing the LinkStation binaries. Anybody have any ideas?

      Regards,

      Mil.
    • rod_tucker
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bubba" <bubba@c...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Has anybody successfully installed SlimServer 6 on the LinkStation?
        I'm
        > running version 5.4, and I've upgraded Perl to version 5.8, but no
        matter
        > what I try, SlimServer 6 won't run (it complains of missing, dependent
        > files, namely "Storable.pm").
        >
        > I've tried going through various how-to's online with no success, and
        I've
        > tried installing the LinkStation binaries. Anybody have any ideas?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Mil.

        I had exactly the same problem when I tried this about a week ago. I
        eventually gave up on Slimserver 6 and tried the the daily updated beta
        version instead. It loaded OK and works just fine.

        Rod Tucker
      • scottnasello
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 5, 2005
          I tried 2 different nightly betas & both of them complain about
          storable.pm as well as Columngrouper.pm, DBI.pm, to name a few. I am
          running perl 5.6.1

          any thoughts?

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "rod_tucker"
          <rod_tucker@y...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bubba" <bubba@c...>
          wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > Has anybody successfully installed SlimServer 6 on the
          LinkStation?
          > I'm
          > > running version 5.4, and I've upgraded Perl to version 5.8, but
          no
          > matter
          > > what I try, SlimServer 6 won't run (it complains of missing,
          dependent
          > > files, namely "Storable.pm").
          > >
          > > I've tried going through various how-to's online with no success,
          and
          > I've
          > > tried installing the LinkStation binaries. Anybody have any ideas?
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > >
          > > Mil.
          >
          > I had exactly the same problem when I tried this about a week ago.
          > eventually gave up on Slimserver 6 and tried the the daily updated
          beta
          > version instead. It loaded OK and works just fine.
          >
          > Rod Tucker
        • scottnasello
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 5, 2005
            where can i get perl 5.8?

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "scottnasello"
            <trash@s...> wrote:

            > I tried 2 different nightly betas & both of them complain about
            > storable.pm as well as Columngrouper.pm, DBI.pm, to name a few. I
            am
            > running perl 5.6.1
            >
            > any thoughts?
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "rod_tucker"
            > <rod_tucker@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bubba" <bubba@c...>
            > wrote:
            > > > Hi,
            > > >
            > > > Has anybody successfully installed SlimServer 6 on the
            > LinkStation?
            > > I'm
            > > > running version 5.4, and I've upgraded Perl to version 5.8, but
            > no
            > > matter
            > > > what I try, SlimServer 6 won't run (it complains of missing,
            > dependent
            > > > files, namely "Storable.pm").
            > > >
            > > > I've tried going through various how-to's online with no
            success,
            > and
            > > I've
            > > > tried installing the LinkStation binaries. Anybody have any
            ideas?

            > > > Regards,
            > > >
            > > > Mil.
            > >
            > > I had exactly the same problem when I tried this about a week
            ago.
            > > eventually gave up on Slimserver 6 and tried the the daily
            updated
            > beta
            > > version instead. It loaded OK and works just fine.
            > >
            > > Rod Tucker
          • bubba
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 5, 2005
              Let everyone know if you make any progress.... I've been tearing my hair out
              trying to get 6.0 running for a while now!

              > I tried 2 different nightly betas & both of them complain about
              > storable.pm as well as Columngrouper.pm, DBI.pm, to name a few. I
              am
              > running perl 5.6.1
              >
              > any thoughts?
              >
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "rod_tucker"
              > <rod_tucker@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bubba" <bubba@c...>
              > wrote:
              > > > Hi,
              > > >
              > > > Has anybody successfully installed SlimServer 6 on the
              > LinkStation?
              > > I'm
              > > > running version 5.4, and I've upgraded Perl to version 5.8, but
              > no
              > > matter
              > > > what I try, SlimServer 6 won't run (it complains of missing,
              > dependent
              > > > files, namely "Storable.pm").
              > > >
              > > > I've tried going through various how-to's online with no
              success,
              > and
              > > I've
              > > > tried installing the LinkStation binaries. Anybody have any
              ideas?

              > > > Regards,
              > > >
              > > > Mil.
              > >
              > > I had exactly the same problem when I tried this about a week
              ago.
              > > eventually gave up on Slimserver 6 and tried the the daily
              updated
              > beta
              > > version instead. It loaded OK and works just fine.
              > >
              > > Rod Tucker

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • born_daniel
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 5, 2005
                Many of these issues have been discussed and resolved in the past.
                Your best resource is the "Search" button in this group... ;-)

                See here:

                Daniel

                wrote:

                > Let everyone know if you make any progress.... I've been tearing my
                hair out
                > trying to get 6.0 running for a while now!

                Issues

                > where can i get perl 5.8?
                >
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "scottnasello"
                > <trash@s...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I tried 2 different nightly betas & both of them complain about
                > > storable.pm as well as Columngrouper.pm, DBI.pm, to name a few. I
                > am
                > > running perl 5.6.1
                > >
                > > any thoughts?
                > >
                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "rod_tucker"
                > > <rod_tucker@y...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bubba" <bubba@c...>

                > > LinkStation?
                > > > I'm
                > > no
                > > > matter
                > > dependent

                > success,
                > > and
                > > > I've
                > ideas?

                > > > I had exactly the same problem when I tried this about a week
                > ago.
                > > > eventually gave up on Slimserver 6 and tried the the daily
                > updated
                > > beta
                > > > version instead. It loaded OK and works just fine.
                > > >
                > > > Rod Tucker
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Marc D. Field
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 5, 2005
                  On 04/05/2005 01:59 AM, scottnasello wrote:
                  > where can i get perl 5.8?

                  Hi,

                  You can get Perl 5.8 from my site,
                  <http://fieldnetworks.com/slim/linkstation.html>. I'm not sure why
                  things aren't working for some people. I'm using the release version of
                  SlimServer 6 with no problems.

                  One question: for those upgrading from SlimServer 5.4, are you deleting
                  or moving the old SlimServer directory before installing SlimServer 6?
                  Or just extracting the new SlimServer files over an existing
                  installation? You need to do the former. Something like this:

                  mv /mnt/slimserver /mnt/slimserver-old (where /mnt/slimserver represents
                  the full path to your existing slimserver directory)

                  tar xzvf /mnt/share/slimserver-6-download.tar.gz (where
                  mnt/slimserver-6-download.tar.gz represents the full path to the
                  downloaded slim 6 file)

                  mv /mnt/share/SlimServer6 /mnt/slimserver (where /mnt/share/SlimServer6
                  represents the full path to the directory that's created as a result of
                  extracting the downloaded file)

                  If you created a directory to hold the data files, then I'd make a copy
                  of that as well, in case you do need to go back to slim 5.4. Something
                  like this:

                  cp -r /mnt/slim-data /mnt/slim-data-old

                  Then I'd kill the 5.4 Slimserver process (ps -A; then kill n, where n is
                  the process number for Slimserver...or just reboot). Then start the new
                  slimserver.

                  Marc
                • scottnasello
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 5, 2005