How to -> Firmware-Version and Hardware?

  • bmwbiker0569
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
      Hello,

      i`m from Germany and my english is not really good......

      I want to buy a Link-Station, but - in front of buying - i had to know,
      how to display the aktual Firmware-Revision and the Hardware in the
      Linkstation, because i want to put the Linkstation into a Kurobox.

      You know about The Limitation of the Flash-Memory (It must be the
      Version with 4 MB!) and i heard about newer Linkstations that can`t
      downgrade to Firmware 1.44 from 2.02.

      Please tell me the comand i have to use if The Linkstation is connected
      by Crossover-Cable to a Windows-XP-PC.

      Best regards

      bmwbiker0569
    • Jonathan Schott
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
        bmwbiker0569 schrieb:

        > Please tell me the comand i have to use if The Linkstation is connected
        > by Crossover-Cable to a Windows-XP-PC.

        You need a original firmware update utility from Buffalo, e.g. the
        1.45_13 version. When you are running the utility it will show you the
        current firmware. The links to this firmware can be found somewhere in
        the old messages in this group.

        Regards,
        Jonathan
      • bmwbiker0569
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Schott
          <jonathan@s...> wrote:
          > bmwbiker0569 schrieb:
          > >
          > > Please tell me the comand i have to use if The Linkstation is
          connected
          > > by Crossover-Cable to a Windows-XP-PC.
          >
          > You need a original firmware update utility from Buffalo, e.g. the
          > 1.45_13 version. When you are running the utility it will show you
          the
          > current firmware. The links to this firmware can be found somewhere
          in
          > the old messages in this group.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Jonathan

          Thanks for this fast post!

          but how to get the Hardware-specs. from the box?
          OR..... how to get Access to the LS with newest Firmware 2.02 to turn
          it into a KUROBOX ?
        • Jonathan Schott
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
            bmwbiker0569 schrieb:
            > but how to get the Hardware-specs. from the box?
            > OR..... how to get Access to the LS with newest Firmware 2.02 to turn
            > it into a KUROBOX ?

            A box with 1.4x firmware (my recently purchased boxes here in Germany at
            computeruniverse.net were both shipped with a 1.44 firmware) can most
            likely be converted to a kuro box. With 2.xx firmwares/revisions I have
            no experience, seems a little bit harder (getting root access with
            internal serial connector, etc.) or impossible... :-(

            Regards,
            Jonathan
          • zju33173
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005

              ich habe vor einigen Tagen über www.ble-computer.de eine
              bestellt, die 1.44 Firmware enthielt. Normalerweise sieht
              man im Status des Web-Config, welche Version enthalten ist.

              Grüße

              JZ

              PS: Welche BMW fährst'n?

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bmwbiker0569"
              <bmwbiker@t...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > i`m from Germany and my english is not really good......
              >
              > I want to buy a Link-Station, but - in front of buying - i had to
              know,
              > how to display the aktual Firmware-Revision and the Hardware in
              the
              > Linkstation, because i want to put the Linkstation into a Kurobox.
              >
              > You know about The Limitation of the Flash-Memory (It must be the
              > Version with 4 MB!) and i heard about newer Linkstations that
              can`t
              > downgrade to Firmware 1.44 from 2.02.
              >
              > Please tell me the comand i have to use if The Linkstation is
              connected
              > by Crossover-Cable to a Windows-XP-PC.
              >
              > Best regards
              >
              > bmwbiker0569
            • Dave Kristol
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
                <bmwbiker@t...> wrote:

                > Hello,
                >
                > i`m from Germany and my english is not really good......
                >
                > I want to buy a Link-Station, but - in front of buying - i had to know,
                > how to display the aktual Firmware-Revision and the Hardware in the
                > Linkstation, because i want to put the Linkstation into a Kurobox.
                >
                > You know about The Limitation of the Flash-Memory (It must be the
                > Version with 4 MB!) and i heard about newer Linkstations that can`t
                > downgrade to Firmware 1.44 from 2.02.
                >
                > Please tell me the comand i have to use if The Linkstation is connected
                > by Crossover-Cable to a Windows-XP-PC.

                The web interface on the LS will tell you the firmware version
                (Maintenance >> System Status). But of course if you buy a newer LS
                with the 2.x firmware, you cannot (as you say above) put older (1.x)
                firmware on it.

                Dave Kristol
              • Jonathan Schott
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
                  zju33173 schrieb:
                  > ich habe vor einigen Tagen über www.ble-computer.de eine
                  > bestellt, die 1.44 Firmware enthielt. Normalerweise sieht
                  > man im Status des Web-Config, welche Version enthalten ist.

                  #-) Oh Mann, warum einfach, wenn's auch umständlich geht... (Siehe meine
                  Antwort!) *g*

                  Gruß,
                  Jonathan
                • Paul Milligan (home)
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
                    I couldn't have put it better myself!

                    zju33173 wrote: I ordered some days ago over www.ble computer.de one, which contained 1,44 firmware. Normally one sees in the status of the Web Config, which version is contained. # -) Oh man, why simply, wenn's also pedantically goes... (see my answer!) * g * Greeting, Jonathan

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
                      Paul Milligan (home) schrieb:
                      > I couldn't have put it better myself!
                      >
                      > zju33173 wrote: I ordered some days ago over www.ble computer.de one,
                      > which contained 1,44 firmware. Normally one sees in the status of the
                      > Web Config, which version is contained. # -) Oh man, why simply, wenn's
                      > also pedantically goes... (see my answer!) * g * Greeting, Jonathan

                      Sorry for the german intermezzo... :-) Nice translation, by the way!
                      ;-)) Babelfish striked again!?!

                      Jonathan
                    • Paul Milligan (home)
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
                        Thank you for having a sense of  humour ;)

                        You want to see how Bablefish translates Japanese!