Re: [LinkStation_General] Disadvantages of turning Linkstation -> Kurobox ?

  • Paul Milligan (home)
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31 1:32 AM
      I have 2 Linkstations, one of which I have converted. If you are comfortable with Linux at the command prompt level then the Kuro firmware is an easier place to start for personal configuration (Linkstation lacks many basic utilities).

      Like all things, there are negatives:-

      1) Linkstation is under development by Buffalo, there have been about 6 firmware releases in the last 6 months, his means bugs and annoyances are being fixed and new features (e.g. Pcast) are being added.
      By contrast, nothing has happened on the Kuro site (from Buffalo) since October 2004, indeed there is no indication that anyone in Buffalo is working on this product any more.
      2) The Linkstation web-based  management interface is more fully developed than the KuroBox version
      3) Buffalo are making it much harder to "hack" the Linkstation, they obviously don't want people to customise it. We may well get to a version of Linkstation firmware that cannot be modified.
      4) A lot of really useful info on the KuroBox is in Japanese; web translators do some of the work, but it's still often difficult to decipher.
      5) The KuroBox firmware has lots of additional packages and utilities that you can load (compilers etc.).
      6) If your ultimate goal is a Debian / Gentoo system then Kuro is the place to start (I've got Yellow Dog on my Kuro firmware).
      7) Like circumcision, the move to Kuro seems irreversible.

      So the answer would tend to be:-

      If you just want to add some facilities that are documented in this forum (slimserver, iTunes, Twonkyvision ...) then the Linkstation firmware is an OK place to start. If you want a flexible development platform with lots of extras that you're happy to work on yourself then Kuro is better.

      No doubt this post will flush out some contrary positions. One of  Linux's greatest strengths is that it doesn't force a single solution to each problem.

      Walter Englert wrote:

      Can someone plz tell me what disadvantages i will have to expect when
      turning my LS into a Kurobox (besides loosing warranty of course).
      I've searched this newsgroup but didn't find a general answer. Those
      who did it successfully are enthusiastic about the possibilities. Those
      who bricked their LS are trying to revert it. But what about those who
      did converting their LS to a Kurobox successfully but are experiencing
      annoying disadvantages in their daily routine? Are there disadvantages?
      I would appreciate every sincere answer.

    • Walter Englert
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 31 12:32 PM
        Thank you very much, Paul. That's exact the kind of statement that
        helps me very much in my decision not to convert my linkstation to a
        kurobox. I think with the help of some How-To's on this board I will
        be able to install some improvements or facilities on the
        Linkstation so that I can avoid the risk of turning it to a Kuro.

        LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Milligan (home)" are
> [...]
        solution to
        > each problem.
        >

        > Walter Englert wrote:
        >

        > > Can someone plz tell me what disadvantages i will have to expect
        when
        > > turning my LS into a Kurobox (besides loosing warranty of
        course).
        > > I've searched this newsgroup but didn't find a general answer.
        Those
        > > who did it successfully are enthusiastic about the
        possibilities. Those
        > > who bricked their LS are trying to revert it. But what about
        those who
        > > did converting their LS to a Kurobox successfully but are
        experiencing
        > > annoying disadvantages in their daily routine? Are there
        disadvantages?
        > > I would appreciate every sincere answer.

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129tq8q5q/M=298184.6018725.7038619.30011
        76/D=groups/S=1705004750:HM/EXP=1112303729/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gsl
        f/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075>

        subject=Unsubscribe>