Scanner Server (sharing a scanner on LAN)

  • ardper
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30 4:44 AM
      Hi guys,

      I have recently bought a Linkstation (120Gb) and have thus far
      customised it with Twonkyvision and NFS.

      I have not tried the Print Server functionality yet becuase my printer
      is a Scanner/Printer combination.

      I would like to be able to share the scanner functionality on my LAN.

      After doing some research I have discovered a program called "saned"
      for Linux which allows the sharing of scanners over the network.

      saned: [ http://penguin-breeder.org/sane/saned/ ]

      This allows Linux machines to share scanners, which is OK for me as I
      dual-boot Windows XP and Mepis Linux.

      There is also a windows client called XSane-Win32 which allows Windows
      clients to use the networked scanner.

      xsane-win32: [ http://www.xsane.org/xsane-win32.html ]

      I will attempt to install this software on my Linkstation as soon as I
      get time, but just in case anyone can help:

      1) Does anyone have the sane/saned binaries compiled for the
      Linkstation?

      2) Do you think this idea could work?

      Any comments, hints or tips would be greatly appreciated. I'll report
      back if/when I make any progress!

      Thanks

      Adam.