Re: Apache Server on LinkStation

  • ardper
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 30, 2005
      Thankyou for your reply.

      I have read through all the posts on this forum and yes, lighttpd
      looks like a better solution than Apache. I wasn't aware of fastcgi,
      so thanks for the tip!

      The reason I am considering Gallery is that I store all of my digital
      photographs on my Linkstation and I would like a quick/easy way to
      browse thumbnails, over my home (Wifi) LAN.

      An alternative product I am considering is IDS.
      [ http://ids.sourceforge.net/ ]

      IDS looks like it just needs Perl and a webserver (such as lighttpd)

      I'll let you know how I get on...!

      Regards

      Adam.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Nat Fairbanks
      <Fairbanks@a...> wrote:
      > I'm running gallery on my linkstation, but I'm using lighttpd and
      > fastcgi php rather than apache with the php module. Don't forget
      you
      > also need mysql, and that could use some optimizations as well.
      > Apache and the stock MySQL ran on my linkstation, but there was too
      > much swapping when you added Samba, bittornado, tinyproxy and other
      > services. You can check out the gallery running on my Linkstation
      > (turned into a Kurobox running gentoo actually) at
      > http://www.natfairbanks.com/gallery/
      >
      > -Nat
    • natfairbanks
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 30, 2005
        I'm running my linkstation behind a hardware firewall/router (linksys
        wrt54g) with port forwarding set up. I also use nmap to double check
        that the settings only open the ports I want to the network I want.
        I'm sure there are others with fairly loaded linkstation/kurobox
        setups, the forums and wiki at
        http://www.kurobox.com/forums/ and
        http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php have been very helpful.
        Thanks for the comments on the gallery, it's a stock install of the
        http://gallery.menalto.com/ software.

        The most memory intensive tools have been MySQL and Apache, although
        other software that runs multiple instances have to be configured to
        run fewer instances as well. Set the number of spare servers and max
        servers down fairly now, don't compile in features you don't need and
        everything should work fine. The way my system is set up now I
        haven't noticed any swapping, there's usually 8-16MB of free ram.

        I haven't been to Fairbanks, Alaska, but I'm in New Hampshire, which
        does get plenty of ice and snow. Not as bad as Alaska I guess, since
        there are only a couple of days a year you'd leave your car running.

        -Nat

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "