LinkStation and Weather Display

  • rod_tucker
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 29, 2005
      Has anyone tried running a weather monitoring program such as Weather
      Display on the LinkStation?

      I have a Davis Weather Station with a serial (RS232) output, which can
      be fed into a computer running Weather Display (which comes in Windows
      and Linux versions). Weather Display provides a web interface which
      enables various things such as rainfall, temperature and wind to be
      stored and plotted. The Linkstation seems like an ideal box to to this
      kind of thing.

      I tried running Weather Display on my Linkstation, but I got the
      followong error:

      user@LINKSTATION:/mnt/WeatherDisplay/wdisplay$ ./GoWeather.sh

      ./GoWeather.sh: ./WeatherD: cannot execute binary file

      Can anyone offer advice or help?

      Rod Tucker
    • Dave Kristol
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 30, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "rod_tucker"
        <rod_tucker@y...> wrote:

        > Has anyone tried running a weather monitoring program such as Weather
        > Display on the LinkStation?
        >
        > I have a Davis Weather Station with a serial (RS232) output, which can
        > be fed into a computer running Weather Display (which comes in Windows
        > and Linux versions). Weather Display provides a web interface which
        > enables various things such as rainfall, temperature and wind to be
        > stored and plotted. The Linkstation seems like an ideal box to to this
        > kind of thing.

        Neat idea.

        > I tried running Weather Display on my Linkstation, but I got the
        > followong error:
        >
        > user@LINKSTATION:/mnt/WeatherDisplay/wdisplay$ ./GoWeather.sh
        >
        > ./GoWeather.sh: ./WeatherD: cannot execute binary file
        >
        > Can anyone offer advice or help?

        The WeatherD program is almost certainly an x86 binary. That means
        it's meant to run on PC-style Linux boxes. The LS is a different
        architecture (PowerPC), so x86 binaries won't run on it. Your only
        hope is if you could get hold of the source files for the software and
        compile it yourself, or get the vendor to produce a binary for you for
        the LS. I would consider both those options to be longshots.

        Dave Kristol
      • rod_tucker
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 31, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Kristol"
          <o8l4febh@y...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "rod_tucker"
          > <rod_tucker@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Has anyone tried running a weather monitoring program such as
          Weather
          > > Display on the LinkStation?
          > >
          > > I have a Davis Weather Station with a serial (RS232) output,
          which can
          > > be fed into a computer running Weather Display (which comes in
          Windows
          > > and Linux versions). Weather Display provides a web interface
          which
          > > enables various things such as rainfall, temperature and wind to
          be
          > > stored and plotted. The Linkstation seems like an ideal box to
          to this
          > > kind of thing.
          >
          > Neat idea.
          >

          > > I tried running Weather Display on my Linkstation, but I got the
          > > followong error:
          > >
          > > user@LINKSTATION:/mnt/WeatherDisplay/wdisplay$ ./GoWeather.sh
          > >
          > > ./GoWeather.sh: ./WeatherD: cannot execute binary file
          > >
          > > Can anyone offer advice or help?
          >
          > The WeatherD program is almost certainly an x86 binary. That means
          > it's meant to run on PC-style Linux boxes. The LS is a different
          > architecture (PowerPC), so x86 binaries won't run on it. Your only
          > hope is if you could get hold of the source files for the software
          and
          > compile it yourself, or get the vendor to produce a binary for you
          for
          > the LS. I would consider both those options to be longshots.
          >
          > Dave Kristol

          Dave,

          I think you are right. It seemed like a good idea at the time - a
          low-power stable computer (rather than a power-hungry, noisy PC) to
          collect weather data.

          But surely I'm not the first person to think of this. Has anyone
          solved this problem????

          Rod Tucker