Re: New Member Have a Question

  • johnnypirish
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 29, 2005
      You can convert your linkstation to Kurobox and use Samba. Using
      webmin you can set-up home folders where ever you want. I did
      exactly the same thing as you. I have an external usb harddrive
      with a UserData directory with each person underneath that directory.

      John

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ixlr8a67"
      <ixlr8a67@y...> wrote:

      > Hello All,
      > Recently purchaed a linkstation 160 to use in a small computer lab
      > invironment, this is what I would like to do, but can't seem to
      figure
      > out how.
      > Background info.
      > Six computers in a XP Pro workgroup, I want to have all user files
      > saved to private folders on Linkstation, but all under a directory
      > called UserData. I have diffrent people all loging into the six
      pc's
      > with the same username. It is a resource center with no assigned
      > stations.
      >
      > 1. How to I create shared folders under a root directory folder?
      Ex.
      > I want to have a folder called UserData on the root of the
      > Linkstation, and individual user directories, that are pasword
      > protected for each user. That way I can map the UserData
      directory in
      > WinXP Pro and have the students click on their directory to save or
      > retrieve files.
      >
      > 2. I also would like to use the FTP function with the above setup,
      Is
      > that posible?
      >
      > Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
      > ixlr8a67@y...
    • ixlr8a67
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 29, 2005
        John,
        New to Linkstation, can you point me to some How To's and maybe where
        I can get what I need for the conversion? Thanks Again.

        ixlr8a67

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "johnnypirish"
        <irishjohnnyp-boards@y...> wrote:

        > You can convert your linkstation to Kurobox and use Samba. Using
        > webmin you can set-up home folders where ever you want. I did
        > exactly the same thing as you. I have an external usb harddrive
        > with a UserData directory with each person underneath that directory.
        >
        > John
        >

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ixlr8a67"
        > <ixlr8a67@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello All,
        > > Recently purchaed a linkstation 160 to use in a small computer lab
        > > invironment, this is what I would like to do, but can't seem to
        > figure
        > > out how.
        > > Background info.
        > > Six computers in a XP Pro workgroup, I want to have all user files
        > > saved to private folders on Linkstation, but all under a directory
        > > called UserData. I have diffrent people all loging into the six
        > pc's
        > > with the same username. It is a resource center with no assigned
        > > stations.
        > >
        > > 1. How to I create shared folders under a root directory folder?
        > Ex.
        > > I want to have a folder called UserData on the root of the
        > > Linkstation, and individual user directories, that are pasword
        > > protected for each user. That way I can map the UserData
        > directory in
        > > WinXP Pro and have the students click on their directory to save or
        > > retrieve files.
        > >
        > > 2. I also would like to use the FTP function with the above setup,
        > Is
        > > that posible?
        > >
        > > Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
        > > ixlr8a67@y...
      • irvine_stock
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 29, 2005
          Switch Linkstation into an Kuro Box with this Tut:
          http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?
          page=Turn+your+Linkstation+into+a+Kuro+Box