New Member Have a Question

  • ixlr8a67
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 29, 2005
      Hello All,
      Recently purchaed a linkstation 160 to use in a small computer lab
      invironment, this is what I would like to do, but can't seem to figure
      out how.
      Background info.
      Six computers in a XP Pro workgroup, I want to have all user files
      saved to private folders on Linkstation, but all under a directory
      called UserData. I have diffrent people all loging into the six pc's
      with the same username. It is a resource center with no assigned
      stations.

      1. How to I create shared folders under a root directory folder? Ex.
      I want to have a folder called UserData on the root of the
      Linkstation, and individual user directories, that are pasword
      protected for each user. That way I can map the UserData directory in
      WinXP Pro and have the students click on their directory to save or
      retrieve files.

      2. I also would like to use the FTP function with the above setup, Is
      that posible?

      Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
      ixlr8a67@...
    • johnnypirish
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 29, 2005
        You can convert your linkstation to Kurobox and use Samba. Using
        webmin you can set-up home folders where ever you want. I did
        exactly the same thing as you. I have an external usb harddrive
        with a UserData directory with each person underneath that directory.

        John

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ixlr8a67"
        <ixlr8a67@y...> wrote:

        > Hello All,
        > Recently purchaed a linkstation 160 to use in a small computer lab
        > invironment, this is what I would like to do, but can't seem to
        figure
        > out how.
        > Background info.
        > Six computers in a XP Pro workgroup, I want to have all user files
        > saved to private folders on Linkstation, but all under a directory
        > called UserData. I have diffrent people all loging into the six
        pc's
        > with the same username. It is a resource center with no assigned
        > stations.
        >
        > 1. How to I create shared folders under a root directory folder?
        Ex.
        > I want to have a folder called UserData on the root of the
        > Linkstation, and individual user directories, that are pasword
        > protected for each user. That way I can map the UserData
        directory in
        > WinXP Pro and have the students click on their directory to save or
        > retrieve files.
        >
        > 2. I also would like to use the FTP function with the above setup,
        Is
        > that posible?
        >
        > Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
        > ixlr8a67@y...
      • ixlr8a67
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 29, 2005
          John,
          New to Linkstation, can you point me to some How To's and maybe where
          I can get what I need for the conversion? Thanks Again.

          ixlr8a67

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "johnnypirish"
          <irishjohnnyp-boards@y...> wrote:

          > You can convert your linkstation to Kurobox and use Samba. Using
          > webmin you can set-up home folders where ever you want. I did
          > exactly the same thing as you. I have an external usb harddrive
          > with a UserData directory with each person underneath that directory.
          >
          > John
          >

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ixlr8a67"
          > <ixlr8a67@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello All,
          > > Recently purchaed a linkstation 160 to use in a small computer lab
          > > invironment, this is what I would like to do, but can't seem to
          > figure
          > > out how.
          > > Background info.
          > > Six computers in a XP Pro workgroup, I want to have all user files
          > > saved to private folders on Linkstation, but all under a directory
          > > called UserData. I have diffrent people all loging into the six
          > pc's
          > > with the same username. It is a resource center with no assigned
          > > stations.
          > >
          > > 1. How to I create shared folders under a root directory folder?
          > Ex.
          > > I want to have a folder called UserData on the root of the
          > > Linkstation, and individual user directories, that are pasword
          > > protected for each user. That way I can map the UserData
          > directory in
          > > WinXP Pro and have the students click on their directory to save or
          > > retrieve files.
          > >
          > > 2. I also would like to use the FTP function with the above setup,
          > Is
          > > that posible?
          > >
          > > Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
          > > ixlr8a67@y...
        • irvine_stock
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 29, 2005
            Switch Linkstation into an Kuro Box with this Tut:
            http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?
            page=Turn+your+Linkstation+into+a+Kuro+Box