Re: Apache Server on LinkStation

  • Nat Fairbanks
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 29, 2005
      I'm running gallery on my linkstation, but I'm using lighttpd and
      fastcgi php rather than apache with the php module. Don't forget you
      also need mysql, and that could use some optimizations as well.
      Apache and the stock MySQL ran on my linkstation, but there was too
      much swapping when you added Samba, bittornado, tinyproxy and other
      services. You can check out the gallery running on my Linkstation
      (turned into a Kurobox running gentoo actually) at
      http://www.natfairbanks.com/gallery/

      -Nat
    • Frenchy
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 30, 2005
        Two thumbs up Nat! Your gallery is slick with php.

        You most likely have the most loaded LStation now. You managed to max
        out the 64MB RAM (swapping). Are these tools memory hogs /CPU
        intensive?

        (I have been in Fairbanks once during November... I won't forget how
        fast and skillfuly people can drive on ice with no spikes. All the
        cars in the parking lot with engine runing while at the movies or
        shopping.)

        I am curious as to how you protect your server from internet
        intrusions /destruction?

        What firewall solution do you use? (Tiny_Proxy is not a FW.)

        Sam.
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Nat Fairbanks
        <Fairbanks@a...> wrote:
        > I'm running gallery on my linkstation, but I'm using lighttpd and
        > fastcgi php rather than apache with the php module. Don't forget you
        > also need mysql, and that could use some optimizations as well.
        > Apache and the stock MySQL ran on my linkstation, but there was too
        > much swapping when you added Samba, bittornado, tinyproxy and other
        > services. You can check out the gallery running on my Linkstation
        > (turned into a Kurobox running gentoo actually) at
        > http://www.natfairbanks.com/gallery/
        >
        > -Nat
      • ardper
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 30, 2005
          Thankyou for your reply.

          I have read through all the posts on this forum and yes, lighttpd
          looks like a better solution than Apache. I wasn't aware of fastcgi,
          so thanks for the tip!

          The reason I am considering Gallery is that I store all of my digital
          photographs on my Linkstation and I would like a quick/easy way to
          browse thumbnails, over my home (Wifi) LAN.

          An alternative product I am considering is IDS.
          [ http://ids.sourceforge.net/ ]

          IDS looks like it just needs Perl and a webserver (such as lighttpd)

          I'll let you know how I get on...!

          Regards

          Adam.

          <Fairbanks@a...> wrote:
          > I'm running gallery on my linkstation, but I'm using lighttpd and
          > fastcgi php rather than apache with the php module. Don't forget
          you
          > also need mysql, and that could use some optimizations as well.
          > Apache and the stock MySQL ran on my linkstation, but there was too
          > much swapping when you added Samba, bittornado, tinyproxy and other
          > services. You can check out the gallery running on my Linkstation
          > (turned into a Kurobox running gentoo actually) at
          > http://www.natfairbanks.com/gallery/
          >
          > -Nat
        • natfairbanks
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 30, 2005
            I'm running my linkstation behind a hardware firewall/router (linksys
            wrt54g) with port forwarding set up. I also use nmap to double check
            that the settings only open the ports I want to the network I want.
            I'm sure there are others with fairly loaded linkstation/kurobox
            setups, the forums and wiki at
            http://www.kurobox.com/forums/ and
            http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php have been very helpful.
            Thanks for the comments on the gallery, it's a stock install of the
            http://gallery.menalto.com/ software.

            The most memory intensive tools have been MySQL and Apache, although
            other software that runs multiple instances have to be configured to
            run fewer instances as well. Set the number of spare servers and max
            servers down fairly now, don't compile in features you don't need and
            everything should work fine. The way my system is set up now I
            haven't noticed any swapping, there's usually 8-16MB of free ram.

            I haven't been to Fairbanks, Alaska, but I'm in New Hampshire, which
            does get plenty of ice and snow. Not as bad as Alaska I guess, since
            there are only a couple of days a year you'd leave your car running.

            -Nat

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "