Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: deliverance from "Vi" editor to empower the masses!!

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 28, 2005
      Some time ago I put a small editor ("nano" I think, or
      was it e3?) in the files section of this group. It
      is a basic (tiny), simple, and mostly intuitive little
      editor you can run on your linkstation. Simply put it
      on somewhere that you have a search path to like
      /usr/bin and do the chmod +755 <filename> thing to it.

      vi is well over 20 years old, is actually quite
      powerful, but suffers from the same thing that most of
      the rest of Unix suffers from: Once someone actually
      takes the time to learn all those cryptic and archane
      commands, they actually learn to like them! Then they
      have little motivation to change it or even want then
      changed. Related to this, I remember when a once
      popular word processor called "Wordstar" decided to
      change all their command behavior and it seemed to
      cause all their core users to stop using Wordstar all
      together.

      I don't agree with all this, but it *is* what seems to
      happen. I never really learned vi all that well
      either, but it does seem to be the one editor that you
      will find on any Unix-like system.

      http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2003/03/fhassel_smb.html

      > > Scott
      > >
      > > --
      > > POPFile, the OpenSource EMail Classifier
      > > http://popfile.sourceforge.net/
      > > Linux 2.6.8-24.13-default x86_64

      Make Yahoo! your home page
      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs