Re: Linkstation and slimserver - idiots guide??

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 4, 2004
      Like David, I'm in the same position. I have been trawling through
      all of the posts and can't find really the best place to start.

      All I want to do is run Slimserver on my Linkstation so I can access
      all of my MP3 files from my Squeezeboxes.

      Any help is very greatly received.

      Paul

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "david6736"
      <dave.ampaw@b...> wrote:

      > Thanks people - I am starting completely from scratch - new
      linkstation and no root
      > access as yet.
      >
      > I want support for AAC,WAV,Mp3 and Ogg files. See from the forums
      that I read different
      > people have different levels of sucess with getting certain types
      of files to run which I cant
      > understand given that essentially the Linkstation is a consumer
      devices and (apart from
      > firmware) should be identical in every case?
      >
      > Again if anyone can produce the idiots guide they'd be bery
      popular!

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
      wrote:

      > > I can help you a bit. I finally got slimserver working on mine
      after
      > > many tries. I will tell you, that if you are wanting support for
      > > anything other than mp3 and wav files, I have not been able to
      get it
      > > working as of yet. I am working on it though.
      > >
      > > Jamy
      > >
      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Mr Sam Weiss
      > > <artagesw@y...> wrote:
      > > > Dave,
      > > >
      > > > I have slimserver running on my LinkStation and have
      > > > kept track of most of the steps. But it isn't yet in
      > > > any kind of "fool-proof howto guide."
      > > >
      > > > Are you starting completely from scratch? That is, an
      > > > out-of-the-box LinkStation? Or have you gotten to the
      > > > point where you have root access to the box?
      > > >
      > > > Sam

      > > > Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
      > > > www.yahoo.com
    • jamy1975
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 5, 2004
        I've posted a slimserver how to in the files section. Try that, and
        post if youneed any help with it.

        Jamy

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <paul@l...> wrote:

        > Like David, I'm in the same position. I have been trawling through
        > all of the posts and can't find really the best place to start.
        >
        > All I want to do is run Slimserver on my Linkstation so I can access
        > all of my MP3 files from my Squeezeboxes.
        >
        > Any help is very greatly received.
        >
        > Paul
        >
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "david6736"
        > <dave.ampaw@b...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Thanks people - I am starting completely from scratch - new
        > linkstation and no root
        > > access as yet.
        > >
        > > I want support for AAC,WAV,Mp3 and Ogg files. See from the forums
        > that I read different
        > > people have different levels of sucess with getting certain types
        > of files to run which I cant
        > > understand given that essentially the Linkstation is a consumer
        > devices and (apart from
        > > firmware) should be identical in every case?
        > >
        > > Again if anyone can produce the idiots guide they'd be bery
        > popular!
        > >
        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
        > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I can help you a bit. I finally got slimserver working on mine
        > after
        > > > many tries. I will tell you, that if you are wanting support for
        > > > anything other than mp3 and wav files, I have not been able to
        > get it
        > > > working as of yet. I am working on it though.
        > > >
        > > > Jamy
        > > >
        > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Mr Sam Weiss

      • Paul
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 6, 2004
          Ok I have got Root access to the box now and I have renamed my Perl
          directory but when I get to the next stage i.e. Un-TAR'ing the Kuro
          Perl file it comes back with an error.

          I am using a WinXP machine to do all of this on and I am copying the
          files to the share directory and then moving them to the root to
          unpack. I am guessing that there is a problem when I have moved the
          files from WinXP to the box.

          Any ideas??

          Thanks

          Paul