Compiling on the Linkstation

  • whoisnader
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 28, 2005
      Hi all;

      I have been toying with trying to compile on my linkstation (namely
      samba v3.0.13) and want some help with installing compilers.

      I have downloaded the binary.zip archive and then extracted binutils-
      2.10.91.0.2.tar.gz. I then used a telnet session to extract that
      archive into the required location.

      Upon running ./configure with the required arguments it complained
      about not finding a compiler. So I then proceeded to extract gcc-
      2.95.3.tar.gz into the required locations.

      I ran ./configure yet again and after finding gcc, it then
      complained about not finding a c compiler.

      Can someone give some "no fuss" instructions on what we need to do
      to be able to compile on the linkstation.

      I am a noob at compiling so be gentle....
    • jceklosk
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 28, 2005
        Here is what I did to get around the compiling path deal and to NOT
        disturb anything else on the machine, because some of the files in
        the compiler pack overwrite system some system libs.

        1. tar off the root file system,
        cd /
        tar cvlf /mnt/share/root.tar
        NOTE: the l is just do the local filesystem

        2. mkdir /mnt/share/ROOT

        3. cd /mnt/share/ROOT

        4. tar xvf /mnt/share/root.tar

        5. Untar all the compiler binaries
        MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN /mnt/share/ROOT FIRST!

        6. Get a copy of chroot from the files section in the group here

        7. run chroot /mnt/share/ROOT

        8. The compilers and all will work now.

        9. I usualy do this:
        ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/packagename
        make
        make install
        The new code will be installed in /usr/local/packagename

        10. exit out of the chroot command

        11. Copy cp -ra /mnt/share/ROOT/usr/local/package to /usr/local

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 28, 2005
          This is fantastic;

          Thanks for all that. One more thing, which specific compiler
          binaries did you unarchive?

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jceklosk"

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 28, 2005
            I used the binaries from the kurbox site:

            http://www.kurobox.com/downloads.html

            (click on binaries)

            Note, my approach for this build environment may seem a little
            backwards, but does work well, though you will run into issues
            locating some shared libs from the dev binaries. To get around this
            copy them to /usr/local/lib (create this) and export
            LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib.

            I have built the latest rsync, samba, apache all this way.

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2005
              Hi;

              No that wasn't what I meant. I knew about the Kuro binaries, but in
              that archive, there are several zip files and there is a binutil
              archive too. I don't want to extract more than what I have to, so I
              was wondering which ones you installed?

              Thanks for you repsonses :-)

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 3, 2005
                Success, managed to get samba 3.0.13 compiled and working along with
                swat.

                All is well accept for one little problem. When I enable the trash
                can facility, it denies access to the shares. I am thinking that
                this has something to do with the way I compiled samba given that
                recycle.so is compiled into the /usr/local/samba/lib drectory but
                samba is assigning the /usr/lib/samba directory.

                This sounds a lot like what you have discussed below but remember
                that I am a newbie and I need a little more detail.

                Here are the configure parameters that I used:

                --prefix=/usr/local/samba --with-privatedir=/etc/samba/ --with-
                lockdir=/mnt2/ram/var/run/ --with-piddir=/mnt2/ram/var/run/

                Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

                <jceklosk@y...> wrote:

                > I used the binaries from the kurbox site:
                >
                > http://www.kurobox.com/downloads.html
                >
                > (click on binaries)
                >
                > Note, my approach for this build environment may seem a little
                > backwards, but does work well, though you will run into issues
                > locating some shared libs from the dev binaries. To get around
                this
                > copy them to /usr/local/lib (create this) and export
                > LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib.
                >
                > I have built the latest rsync, samba, apache all this way.
                >

                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"
                > <whoisnader@h...> wrote:
                > >
                > > This is fantastic;
                > >
                > > Thanks for all that. One more thing, which specific compiler
                > > binaries did you unarchive?
                > >

                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jceklosk"
                > > <jceklosk@y...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Here is what I did to get around the compiling path deal and
                to NOT
                > > > disturb anything else on the machine, because some of the
                files in
                > > > the compiler pack overwrite system some system libs.
                > > >
                > > > 1. tar off the root file system,
                > > > cd /
                > > > tar cvlf /mnt/share/root.tar
                > > > NOTE: the l is just do the local filesystem
                > > >
                > > > 2. mkdir /mnt/share/ROOT
                > > >
                > > > 3. cd /mnt/share/ROOT
                > > >
                > > > 4. tar xvf /mnt/share/root.tar
                > > >
                > > > 5. Untar all the compiler binaries
                > > > MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN /mnt/share/ROOT FIRST!
                > > >
                > > > 6. Get a copy of chroot from the files section in the group
                here

                > > > 7. run chroot /mnt/share/ROOT
                > > >
                > > > 8. The compilers and all will work now.
                > > >
                > > > 9. I usualy do this:
                > > > ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/packagename
                > > > make
                > > > make install
                > > > The new code will be installed in /usr/local/packagename
                > > >
                > > > 10. exit out of the chroot command
                > > >
                > > > 11. Copy cp -ra /mnt/share/ROOT/usr/local/package
                to /usr/local

                > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whoisnader"

                > > (namely

                > > binutils-

                > > complained

                > > do

              • Frenchy
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 5, 2005
                  If you are compiling Samba, use the correct default paths:

                  These two path seem wrong to me:
                  lockdir=/mnt2/ram/var/run/
                  piddir=/mnt2/ram/var/run/

                  Should be:
                  piddir=/var/run/
                  (??lockdir=/var/run/ ??)
                  You can override these path in your init script or cmd line -

                  Interested about sharing the 3.0.13 binaries in the file section?
                  That would be nice.
                  Sam.