Re: [LinkStation_General] Things not working in V1.44 firmware?

  • David Walters
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 4, 2004
      (I've just upgraded mine to 1.44 so I'm only just beginning to look
      around...)

      On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 10:08:12AM -0800, Rick Flower wrote:
      > > There's also a problem with the timezones during DST times
      > > (advancing the local timezone by one) and NTP and setting the time
      > > from the PC's clock. It's ok now but only until the first week of
      > > April ;-)
      >
      > I believe that the time is set via a cron job as I see occasional lines in
      > the system logs indicating that

      There is a cronjob but it seems a little broken.

      The Web interface has a "Synchronized Interval" setting which claims
      to allow you to set the clock to update every n hours. In reality it
      creates a cronjob which will be called at n hours (so at 6am rather
      than 4 times a day every 6 hours):

      root@links:/etc# crontab -l
      00 6 * * * /etc/cron.d/ntpdate

      The ntpdate script itself doesn't actually work on mine, it requires
      a /etc/timezone which doesn't exist.

      Commenting out the line where it tries to execute /etc/timezone seems
      to do no harm but then I live in GMT.

      David
      --
      David Walters +44 7989 574 161 david@...
      A. Because it breaks the logical order of conversation.
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 4, 2004
        On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 06:52:06PM +0000, David Walters wrote:
        > (I've just upgraded mine to 1.44 so I'm only just beginning to look
        > around...)
        >
        > On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 10:08:12AM -0800, Rick Flower wrote:
        > > > There's also a problem with the timezones during DST times
        > > > (advancing the local timezone by one) and NTP and setting the time
        > > > from the PC's clock. It's ok now but only until the first week of
        > > > April ;-)
        > >
        > > I believe that the time is set via a cron job as I see occasional lines in
        > > the system logs indicating that
        >
        > There is a cronjob but it seems a little broken.
        >
        > The Web interface has a "Synchronized Interval" setting which claims
        > to allow you to set the clock to update every n hours. In reality it
        > creates a cronjob which will be called at n hours (so at 6am rather
        > than 4 times a day every 6 hours):
        >
        > root@links:/etc# crontab -l
        > 00 6 * * * /etc/cron.d/ntpdate
        >
        > The ntpdate script itself doesn't actually work on mine, it requires
        > a /etc/timezone which doesn't exist.
        >
        > Commenting out the line where it tries to execute /etc/timezone seems
        > to do no harm but then I live in GMT.

        I just did an "echo -n > /etc/timezone" to get mine going.

        Although this will help, the box has a fairly nasty clock drift (enough
        for make to complain about creation times on a daily basis). ntpd would
        be a much better solution...

        Here's another bug, but in /www/script/set_hdd_format.sh and
        /www/script/set_hdd_format_usb.sh:

        VOL=`data '+%Y/%m/%d_%H:%M'`

        data should be date...

        Derek

        > David
        > --
        > David Walters +44 7989 574 161 david@...
        > A. Because it breaks the logical order of conversation.
        > Q. Why is top posting bad?

      • born_daniel
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 4, 2004
          Hee-hee! I fixed the NTP function! This is so much fun! ;-)
          I put "timezone=-5" (without the brackets) in /etc/timezone (since I
          live in EST). I even managed to correct the .pl script to
          say "Syncronized Time" instead and even fixed the "?" help box :-)

          Now my NTP works!

          Daniel
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, David Walters
          <david@j...> wrote:
          > (I've just upgraded mine to 1.44 so I'm only just beginning to
          look
          > around...)
          >
          > On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 10:08:12AM -0800, Rick Flower wrote:
          > > > There's also a problem with the timezones during DST times
          > > > (advancing the local timezone by one) and NTP and setting the
          time
          > > > from the PC's clock. It's ok now but only until the first week
          of
          > > > April ;-)
          > >
          > > I believe that the time is set via a cron job as I see
          occasional lines in
          > > the system logs indicating that
          >
          > There is a cronjob but it seems a little broken.
          >
          > The Web interface has a "Synchronized Interval" setting which
          claims
          > to allow you to set the clock to update every n hours. In reality
          it
          > creates a cronjob which will be called at n hours (so at 6am
          rather
          > than 4 times a day every 6 hours):
          >
          > root@links:/etc# crontab -l
          > 00 6 * * * /etc/cron.d/ntpdate
          >
          > The ntpdate script itself doesn't actually work on mine, it
          requires
          > a /etc/timezone which doesn't exist.
          >
          > Commenting out the line where it tries to execute /etc/timezone
          seems
          > to do no harm but then I live in GMT.
          >
          > David
          > --
          > David Walters +44 7989 574 161 david@j...
          > A. Because it breaks the logical order of conversation.
          > Q. Why is top posting bad?
        • David Walters
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 5, 2004
            On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 04:23:42PM -0800, Derek Taubert wrote:
            > Although this will help, the box has a fairly nasty clock drift (enough
            > for make to complain about creation times on a daily basis).

            I hadn't looked before but it's huge!

            > ntpd would
            > be a much better solution...

            I've tried installing the Kuro binary ntpd which runs and forms
            associations but doesn't seem to actually stop the clock drifting
            :-/

            David
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 5, 2004
              Mine's actually about 10 seconds a day... I can live with that since
              I got NTP to work (once a day if not several times a day...)