Dead LinkStation?

  • Kevin Cramer
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27, 2005
      I have a 250GB LinkStation. I had setup SlimServer and some extra
      utlities on it and it was working great. I turned it off recently and
      it would not come back on. After a minute or more, the red diag light
      would flash 6 times. After reading some messages here I figured that
      the ppc_uart or the hard drive was messed up. I opened the LS and put
      it into another computer. I deleted all the partitions using fdisk
      via a Gentoo Live bootable CD.

      I put it back together and tried to flash it with the 1.45_13 firmware
      (which was firmware already on the LS). Everything seemed to work ok.
      During the update the red diag light did flash but as I understand
      it, it is supposed to do that. At the end it would say that the
      firmware failed and the red diag light would keep flashing. I had to
      turn off the LS and turn it back on. This didn't seem to get it
      working though. When I turn it back on, it shows up in EM mode and I
      can try the update proceure again but the same thing happens. I had
      it directly plugged in and I tried it without any firewall running on
      the PC.

      What should I do? For now, I just want to get it back to the original
      state. I'm guessing that some of the stuff I compiled on it might
      have messed up necessary libraries. I also wanted to update it to a
      KuroBox but at this point I just wanted to get it working for now.

      Any suggestions or advice?

      Thanks!

      Kevin
    • Kevin Cramer
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 27, 2005
        Well, I tried it again and it worked. I'm not sure what I did
        differently but I seem to have a brand new LinkStation again.

        I was playing around with the LS quite a bit before. Is it
        recommended to upgrade it to a KuroBox if you want to do such things?
        I've been using it as a small server. I had SSH and SlimServer going
        well before it was messed up somehow.

        Is it difficult to completely replace the OS with the KuroBox OS or
        even Gentoo? I've seen some basics on how to do these but I wasn't
        sure how much work it is to keep using it as such.

        Thanks,
        Kevin

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Cramer"
        <kevin_cramer@y...> wrote:

        > I have a 250GB LinkStation. I had setup SlimServer and some extra
        > utlities on it and it was working great. I turned it off recently and
        > it would not come back on. After a minute or more, the red diag light
        > would flash 6 times. After reading some messages here I figured that
        > the ppc_uart or the hard drive was messed up. I opened the LS and put
        > it into another computer. I deleted all the partitions using fdisk
        > via a Gentoo Live bootable CD.
        >
        > I put it back together and tried to flash it with the 1.45_13 firmware
        > (which was firmware already on the LS). Everything seemed to work ok.
        > During the update the red diag light did flash but as I understand
        > it, it is supposed to do that. At the end it would say that the
        > firmware failed and the red diag light would keep flashing. I had to
        > turn off the LS and turn it back on. This didn't seem to get it
        > working though. When I turn it back on, it shows up in EM mode and I
        > can try the update proceure again but the same thing happens. I had
        > it directly plugged in and I tried it without any firewall running on
        > the PC.
        >
        > What should I do? For now, I just want to get it back to the original
        > state. I'm guessing that some of the stuff I compiled on it might
        > have messed up necessary libraries. I also wanted to update it to a
        > KuroBox but at this point I just wanted to get it working for now.
        >
        > Any suggestions or advice?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Kevin
      • irvine_stock
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 28, 2005
          Kevin,
          Upgrading to Kuro is not the end of your problems. Its probably
          just the beginning. I have converted my Kuro to a LS and my LS to a
          Kuro. It does not always work first try. Don't know why sometimes.
          Sometimes its pilot error. Sometimes it just needs to sit there for
          a few days and sulk. :-)
          If you do decide to change it follow the instuctions very
          carefully. You are modifying the flash and a mistake can brick your
          unit.
          Rich