Re: [LinkStation_General] Things not working in V1.44 firmware?

  • Rick Flower
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 4, 2004
      On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, born_daniel wrote:

      > I got the unit with version 1.43 of the firmware and experienced the
      > http interface lockup on a daily basis. So I upgraded to V1.44 which
      > hasn't locked up on me in a week but I find that a bunch of things
      > (still?) don't work: For example, the NTP doesn't refresh no matter
      > what update period I give it (IIRC V1.43 allowed to specify a time
      > of day for updating versus the amount of time between updates).
      > There's also a problem with the timezones during DST times
      > (advancing the local timezone by one) and NTP and setting the time
      > from the PC's clock. It's ok now but only until the first week of
      > April ;-)

      I believe that the time is set via a cron job as I see occasional lines in
      the system logs indicating that -- but I've never really checked. I would
      suggest if you don't mind getting your virtual hands dirty, to hack the
      root password (change it, et-al) and fix the problems yourself. These
      problems should be very easy to fix to make the box behave as you desire.

      I'm currently using my Linkstation to write this email via Pine and have a
      new compiler, new C/C++ runtime, Exim mail server, Dovecot IMAP daemon,
      SSH, etc all going fine.

      Its a great little box for the cost..

      -- Rick
    • David Walters
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 4, 2004
        (I've just upgraded mine to 1.44 so I'm only just beginning to look
        around...)

        On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 10:08:12AM -0800, Rick Flower wrote:
        > > There's also a problem with the timezones during DST times
        > > (advancing the local timezone by one) and NTP and setting the time
        > > from the PC's clock. It's ok now but only until the first week of
        > > April ;-)
        >
        > I believe that the time is set via a cron job as I see occasional lines in
        > the system logs indicating that

        There is a cronjob but it seems a little broken.

        The Web interface has a "Synchronized Interval" setting which claims
        to allow you to set the clock to update every n hours. In reality it
        creates a cronjob which will be called at n hours (so at 6am rather
        than 4 times a day every 6 hours):

        root@links:/etc# crontab -l
        00 6 * * * /etc/cron.d/ntpdate

        The ntpdate script itself doesn't actually work on mine, it requires
        a /etc/timezone which doesn't exist.

        Commenting out the line where it tries to execute /etc/timezone seems
        to do no harm but then I live in GMT.

        David
        --
        David Walters +44 7989 574 161 david@...
        A. Because it breaks the logical order of conversation.
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 4, 2004
          On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 06:52:06PM +0000, David Walters wrote:
          > (I've just upgraded mine to 1.44 so I'm only just beginning to look
          > around...)
          >
          > On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 10:08:12AM -0800, Rick Flower wrote:
          > > > There's also a problem with the timezones during DST times
          > > > (advancing the local timezone by one) and NTP and setting the time
          > > > from the PC's clock. It's ok now but only until the first week of
          > > > April ;-)
          > >
          > > I believe that the time is set via a cron job as I see occasional lines in
          > > the system logs indicating that
          >
          > There is a cronjob but it seems a little broken.
          >
          > The Web interface has a "Synchronized Interval" setting which claims
          > to allow you to set the clock to update every n hours. In reality it
          > creates a cronjob which will be called at n hours (so at 6am rather
          > than 4 times a day every 6 hours):
          >
          > root@links:/etc# crontab -l
          > 00 6 * * * /etc/cron.d/ntpdate
          >
          > The ntpdate script itself doesn't actually work on mine, it requires
          > a /etc/timezone which doesn't exist.
          >
          > Commenting out the line where it tries to execute /etc/timezone seems
          > to do no harm but then I live in GMT.

          I just did an "echo -n > /etc/timezone" to get mine going.

          Although this will help, the box has a fairly nasty clock drift (enough
          for make to complain about creation times on a daily basis). ntpd would
          be a much better solution...

          Here's another bug, but in /www/script/set_hdd_format.sh and
          /www/script/set_hdd_format_usb.sh:

          VOL=`data '+%Y/%m/%d_%H:%M'`

          data should be date...

          Derek

          > David
          > --
          > David Walters +44 7989 574 161 david@...
          > A. Because it breaks the logical order of conversation.
          > Q. Why is top posting bad?

        • born_daniel
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 4, 2004
            Hee-hee! I fixed the NTP function! This is so much fun! ;-)
            I put "timezone=-5" (without the brackets) in /etc/timezone (since I
            live in EST). I even managed to correct the .pl script to
            say "Syncronized Time" instead and even fixed the "?" help box :-)

            Now my NTP works!

            Daniel
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, David Walters
            <david@j...> wrote:
            > (I've just upgraded mine to 1.44 so I'm only just beginning to
            look
            > around...)
            >
            > On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 10:08:12AM -0800, Rick Flower wrote:
            > > > There's also a problem with the timezones during DST times
            > > > (advancing the local timezone by one) and NTP and setting the
            time
            > > > from the PC's clock. It's ok now but only until the first week
            of
            > > > April ;-)
            > >
            > > I believe that the time is set via a cron job as I see
            occasional lines in
            > > the system logs indicating that
            >
            > There is a cronjob but it seems a little broken.
            >
            > The Web interface has a "Synchronized Interval" setting which
            claims
            > to allow you to set the clock to update every n hours. In reality
            it
            > creates a cronjob which will be called at n hours (so at 6am
            rather
            > than 4 times a day every 6 hours):
            >
            > root@links:/etc# crontab -l
            > 00 6 * * * /etc/cron.d/ntpdate
            >
            > The ntpdate script itself doesn't actually work on mine, it
            requires
            > a /etc/timezone which doesn't exist.
            >
            > Commenting out the line where it tries to execute /etc/timezone
            seems
            > to do no harm but then I live in GMT.
            >
            > David
            > --
            > David Walters +44 7989 574 161 david@j...
            > A. Because it breaks the logical order of conversation.
            > Q. Why is top posting bad?
          • David Walters
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 5, 2004
              On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 04:23:42PM -0800, Derek Taubert wrote:
              > Although this will help, the box has a fairly nasty clock drift (enough
              > for make to complain about creation times on a daily basis).

              I hadn't looked before but it's huge!

              > ntpd would
              > be a much better solution...

              I've tried installing the Kuro binary ntpd which runs and forms
              associations but doesn't seem to actually stop the clock drifting
              :-/

              David
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 5, 2004
                Mine's actually about 10 seconds a day... I can live with that since
                I got NTP to work (once a day if not several times a day...)