LinkStation - Twonky - Network Shares

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 26, 2005
      Gents -

      Forgive my ignorance, but I'm just not LinkStation (Linux) savvy.

      I have wrestled with TwonkyVision and have it finally installed in the
      unit - (and let me say - i hope somewhere that 'vi' editor gets
      better).

      With windows as you know you can reference network resources using UNC
      \\server\share format. My understanding is you need to mount these on
      Linux. I also understand that I would need to create a startup file to
      make it persistant.

      Is there anyone that can help outline the specifics of this process. I
      would greatly appreciate it.

      Thanks.
    • Scott Leighton
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 26, 2005
        On Saturday 26 March 2005 8:23 pm, Mark wrote:
        > Gents -
        >
        > Forgive my ignorance, but I'm just not LinkStation (Linux) savvy.
        >
        > I have wrestled with TwonkyVision and have it finally installed in the
        > unit - (and let me say - i hope somewhere that 'vi' editor gets
        > better).
        >
        > With windows as you know you can reference network resources using UNC
        > \\server\share format. My understanding is you need to mount these on
        > Linux. I also understand that I would need to create a startup file to
        > make it persistant.
        >
        > Is there anyone that can help outline the specifics of this process. I
        > would greatly appreciate it.
        >
        > Thanks.

        man smbmount

        For example....

        smbmount //server/share /mnt/share -o password=secretpassword

        As for automounting it at boot, see the write up here...

        http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2003/03/fhassel_smb.html

        Scott

        --
        POPFile, the OpenSource EMail Classifier
        http://popfile.sourceforge.net/
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 27, 2005
          I just got done installing the Twonky mediaserver and created a two
          page how to doc - Look under the file section or search the file
          posting announcement 2 days ago.
          You will find my init.d script for automation, the best part of my
          install besides couple good hints to save your time.
          Twonky is a winner, fast, stable etcc...
          Sam.
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Scott Leighton

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 27, 2005
            Hi Frenchy -

            I agree - yours is the process to install Twonky I used. WOrked
            great except for the HUGE vi learning curve.

            I didn't not see any information regarding network resources tho.

            Kindest,
            mark

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 27, 2005
              Thanks Scott -
              Perhaps I'm not loosing my mind - it would appear that I don't have
              the smbclient on this LinkStation.

              Does anyone know that this would be accurate? Do you need to upgrade
              the firmware for these additional commands? If so do I need to do
              the twonky reinstall process again?

              Thanks much.

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 27, 2005
                Ok - after MUCH web research and the like, the following works:

                mount server.domain.com:/sharename/folder mnt/share/folder

                for those more windows friendly like me - don't forget that little
                colon - difference between it working and not. Also I'm in a domain,
                not workgroup setting.

                This was a snapserver appliance which uses NFS. To get the
                authentication to work you have to add the root UID to the
                snapserver (which is 0 - zero). Then add the LinkStation IP address.

                Now - if anyone would be willing to share - how to get this to remap
                on restart.

                I tried looking at the some of the edits with VI - but was a bit
                hesitant to edit anything considering I'm walking blind.

                Thanks

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <javamarket@y...>

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 27, 2005
                  Mark,
                  I am not sure what you are trying to map for your Twonky (See my
                  posted HowTo document and startup script in the file section). It's
                  not all that hard and well worth it - You'll see! Just sink 15Hr or
                  so in Linux to get a smooth running server.

                  You should be able to easily follow the steps I've described and
                  edit my script to startup almost anything you want and in particular
                  twonky mediaserver. I did not need to mount anything for my install.
                  You may want to create symbolic links instead of mounts (ln -
                  s /TargetDir LinkName)

                  Provided something can be started manually at the prompt, the LS
                  will start anything if you simply add a call
                  (/etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S99StartMyStuff) to a script
                  (in /etc/init.d/MyStuff)
                  This is done by creating a link like so:
                  ln -s /etc/init.d/MyStuff /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S99StartMyStuff

                  Don't forget to provide a way for LS to kill processes you have
                  started... you do that with a "K" like so
                  ln -s /etc/init.d/MyStuff /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/K29KillMyStuff

                  If your shares are deleted upon reboot, you need to slap some exit
                  tags in some of the startup scripts. Note that this will disconnect
                  the Buffalo web Mgt of the Samba shares. You will thus need to work
                  from Linux or use the SWAT web insterface instead to manage your
                  Samba (love Swat) http://linkstation:901

                  hope this helps shine some light for ya,
                  Sam.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 28, 2005
                    Hey Mark,
                    what do you mean by: "I didn't not see any information regarding
                    network resources tho."
                    What "network resources" do you need to use? (eth0, shares,
                    shoutcast radio, gateway_IP)? Help me, help you.

                    I run my server from /mnt/media/server where "media" shows up as my
                    share to drop my files in like so:
                    /mnt/media/music
                    /mnt/media/pics
                    /mnt/media/video

                    You do have to configure your server. Use the web interface as a
                    configuration starting point once the server is stable. If not
                    stable read the doc and edit the "ini" file directly.
                    There your will be able to point the server to where your media
                    files are located using the "M|"music "P|"pictures ...
                    Cheers,
                    sam.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 28, 2005
                      Hey Scott,
                      If you don't like VI editor, you don't have to use it anymore. It
                      sucked 20 years ago during my first encounter and it still does
                      regardless of how many O'Reilly's manuals I have read!

                      I have worked with top Indian senior programmers that typed in their
                      code with 4 fingers, believe me mastering VI is not an achievement.

                      Create a symlink using telnet and simply browse your network shares
                      on your desktop.

                      ln -s . /mnt/share/zLINUX

                      From \\YourLinkstationName\share\zLINUX\ you can edit whatever file
                      you want with GWD Editor (www.gwdsoft.com)or any similar UNIX
                      friendly editor. Forget "Notepad", "Wordpad" or the likes because of
                      EOL, EOF issue.

                      You will need to "chmod 777 FileName" to gain write privileges on
                      just about every file you want to save.

                      Hope this makes your day and help more creative minds to contribute
                      to this platform,

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 28, 2005
                        Sam -

                        Thanks much for your effort and reply.

                        I have multiple NAS units (you wouldn't believe how many) that I am
                        using to store my DVD and music collection (and believe it or not -
                        all legal). I'm a music and movie buff and have a collection that is
                        tremendous.

                        So I am slowly and methodically moving all my media to NAS units
                        that are all being servered currently by the LinkStation. I had
                        originally used a PC to act as a server, but I LOVE letting the
                        little LInkstation do the work.

                        So I have to mount the NAS shares to the LinkStation as I indicated
                        below - and would like to automate the process.

                        I'll have another look at your doc's and see if I can figure out
                        where to put the mount execution.

                        Thanks.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 28, 2005
                          Marc,
                          I think I got your problem.
                          You created your shares to store your video collection from Samba
                          but every time you restart, the Linkstation methodicaly forgets
                          them, right?

                          There is a melco file that is responsible for causing this problem.

                          Basically the LS overwrites your smb.conf at every boot for some
                          Buffalo strange reason.
                          Run a search in all files for one with that contains "smb.conf" and
                          stick an "exit 0" command before the overwrite command.

                          I did that 2 month back. Like I said earlier this will disconnect
                          your Buffalo web interface and Samba. You will then have full power
                          over your shares, but none from Buffalo share Mgt. Use it carefully.

                          There are other ways to fix your problem if it is not caused by
                          creating Samba shares. Like creating symlinks from one share to
                          another.

                          Pls describe:
                          How do you create your shares?
                          How many shares have you created from the web interface?
                          How you want to access your shares?
                          Whatever is on your mind to helps describe your application problem
                          Sam.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 28, 2005
                            Some time ago I put a small editor ("nano" I think, or
                            was it e3?) in the files section of this group. It
                            is a basic (tiny), simple, and mostly intuitive little
                            editor you can run on your linkstation. Simply put it
                            on somewhere that you have a search path to like
                            /usr/bin and do the chmod +755 <filename> thing to it.

                            vi is well over 20 years old, is actually quite
                            powerful, but suffers from the same thing that most of
                            the rest of Unix suffers from: Once someone actually
                            takes the time to learn all those cryptic and archane
                            commands, they actually learn to like them! Then they
                            have little motivation to change it or even want then
                            changed. Related to this, I remember when a once
                            popular word processor called "Wordstar" decided to
                            change all their command behavior and it seemed to
                            cause all their core users to stop using Wordstar all
                            together.

                            I don't agree with all this, but it *is* what seems to
                            happen. I never really learned vi all that well
                            either, but it does seem to be the one editor that you
                            will find on any Unix-like system.

                            --- Frenchy <glasseron@...> wrote:

                            > Hey Scott,
                            > If you don't like VI editor, you don't have to use
                            > it anymore. It
                            > sucked 20 years ago during my first encounter and it
                            > still does
                            > regardless of how many O'Reilly's manuals I have
                            > read!
                            >
                            > I have worked with top Indian senior programmers
                            > that typed in their
                            > code with 4 fingers, believe me mastering VI is not
                            > an achievement.
                            >
                            > Create a symlink using telnet and simply browse your
                            > network shares
                            > on your desktop.
                            >
                            > ln -s . /mnt/share/zLINUX
                            >
                            > From \\YourLinkstationName\share\zLINUX\ you can
                            > edit whatever file
                            > you want with GWD Editor (www.gwdsoft.com)or any
                            > similar UNIX
                            > friendly editor. Forget "Notepad", "Wordpad" or the
                            > likes because of
                            > EOL, EOF issue.
                            >
                            > You will need to "chmod 777 FileName" to gain write
                            > privileges on
                            > just about every file you want to save.
                            >
                            > Hope this makes your day and help more creative
                            > minds to contribute
                            > to this platform,
                            > Sam.
                            >

                            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Scott
                            > Leighton
                            > <helphand@p...> wrote:
                            > > On Saturday 26 March 2005 8:23 pm, Mark wrote:
                            > > > Gents -
                            > > >
                            > > > Forgive my ignorance, but I'm just not
                            > LinkStation (Linux) savvy.
                            > > >
                            > > > I have wrestled with TwonkyVision and have it
                            > finally installed
                            > in the
                            > > > unit - (and let me say - i hope somewhere that
                            > 'vi' editor gets
                            > > > better).
                            > > >
                            > > > With windows as you know you can reference
                            > network resources
                            > using UNC
                            > > > \\server\share format. My understanding is you
                            > need to mount
                            > these on
                            > > > Linux. I also understand that I would need to
                            > create a startup
                            > file to
                            > > > make it persistant.
                            > > >
                            > > > Is there anyone that can help outline the
                            > specifics of this
                            > process. I
                            > > > would greatly appreciate it.
                            > > >
                            > > > Thanks.
                            > > >

                            > > man smbmount
                            > >
                            > > For example....
                            > >
                            > > smbmount //server/share /mnt/share -o
                            > password=secretpassword
                            > >
                            > > As for automounting it at boot, see the write up
                            > here...

                            http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2003/03/fhassel_smb.html

                            > > Scott
                            > >
                            > > --
                            > > POPFile, the OpenSource EMail Classifier
                            > > http://popfile.sourceforge.net/
                            > > Linux 2.6.8-24.13-default x86_64

                            Make Yahoo! your home page
                            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs