Things not working in V1.44 firmware?

  • born_daniel
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 4, 2004
      Hi all,

      I'm new to the Linkstation (I just bought it a couple of weeks ago
      after returning the frustating and much too limited Ximeta
      NetDisk...). The Linkstation is a much better product overall and
      I'm glad I changed! The USB printer server is a nice touch!

      I got the unit with version 1.43 of the firmware and experienced the
      http interface lockup on a daily basis. So I upgraded to V1.44 which
      hasn't locked up on me in a week but I find that a bunch of things
      (still?) don't work: For example, the NTP doesn't refresh no matter
      what update period I give it (IIRC V1.43 allowed to specify a time
      of day for updating versus the amount of time between updates).
      There's also a problem with the timezones during DST times
      (advancing the local timezone by one) and NTP and setting the time
      from the PC's clock. It's ok now but only until the first week of
      April ;-)

      Any chances of this group fixing those problems on our own or is the
      only option to wait for Buffalo's firmware updates?

      I know some of you are using the Japanese V1.45, any known problems
      with this firmware? Does anybody have an idea as to when we can
      expect a north-american version of this firmware? Are updates from
      Buffalo few and far between or are they relatively frequent? (I'm
      not sure there's enough regression testing going on between releases
      though...)

      I'm glad I found this group! I'm sure I'll learn alot of things from
      all of you! Keep up the good "work" (although I'm sure it's much too
      much fun for most of us to actually call it work!)

      Regards,
      Daniel
    • Rick Flower
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 4, 2004
        On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, born_daniel wrote:

        > I got the unit with version 1.43 of the firmware and experienced the
        > http interface lockup on a daily basis. So I upgraded to V1.44 which
        > hasn't locked up on me in a week but I find that a bunch of things
        > (still?) don't work: For example, the NTP doesn't refresh no matter
        > what update period I give it (IIRC V1.43 allowed to specify a time
        > of day for updating versus the amount of time between updates).
        > There's also a problem with the timezones during DST times
        > (advancing the local timezone by one) and NTP and setting the time
        > from the PC's clock. It's ok now but only until the first week of
        > April ;-)

        I believe that the time is set via a cron job as I see occasional lines in
        the system logs indicating that -- but I've never really checked. I would
        suggest if you don't mind getting your virtual hands dirty, to hack the
        root password (change it, et-al) and fix the problems yourself. These
        problems should be very easy to fix to make the box behave as you desire.

        I'm currently using my Linkstation to write this email via Pine and have a
        new compiler, new C/C++ runtime, Exim mail server, Dovecot IMAP daemon,
        SSH, etc all going fine.

        Its a great little box for the cost..

        -- Rick
      • David Walters
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 4, 2004
          (I've just upgraded mine to 1.44 so I'm only just beginning to look
          around...)

          On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 10:08:12AM -0800, Rick Flower wrote:
          > > There's also a problem with the timezones during DST times
          > > (advancing the local timezone by one) and NTP and setting the time
          > > from the PC's clock. It's ok now but only until the first week of
          > > April ;-)
          >
          > I believe that the time is set via a cron job as I see occasional lines in
          > the system logs indicating that

          There is a cronjob but it seems a little broken.

          The Web interface has a "Synchronized Interval" setting which claims
          to allow you to set the clock to update every n hours. In reality it
          creates a cronjob which will be called at n hours (so at 6am rather
          than 4 times a day every 6 hours):

          root@links:/etc# crontab -l
          00 6 * * * /etc/cron.d/ntpdate

          The ntpdate script itself doesn't actually work on mine, it requires
          a /etc/timezone which doesn't exist.

          Commenting out the line where it tries to execute /etc/timezone seems
          to do no harm but then I live in GMT.

          David
          --
          David Walters +44 7989 574 161 david@...
          A. Because it breaks the logical order of conversation.
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 4, 2004
            On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 06:52:06PM +0000, David Walters wrote:
            > (I've just upgraded mine to 1.44 so I'm only just beginning to look
            > around...)
            >
            > On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 10:08:12AM -0800, Rick Flower wrote:
            > > > There's also a problem with the timezones during DST times
            > > > (advancing the local timezone by one) and NTP and setting the time
            > > > from the PC's clock. It's ok now but only until the first week of
            > > > April ;-)
            > >
            > > I believe that the time is set via a cron job as I see occasional lines in
            > > the system logs indicating that
            >
            > There is a cronjob but it seems a little broken.
            >
            > The Web interface has a "Synchronized Interval" setting which claims
            > to allow you to set the clock to update every n hours. In reality it
            > creates a cronjob which will be called at n hours (so at 6am rather
            > than 4 times a day every 6 hours):
            >
            > root@links:/etc# crontab -l
            > 00 6 * * * /etc/cron.d/ntpdate
            >
            > The ntpdate script itself doesn't actually work on mine, it requires
            > a /etc/timezone which doesn't exist.
            >
            > Commenting out the line where it tries to execute /etc/timezone seems
            > to do no harm but then I live in GMT.

            I just did an "echo -n > /etc/timezone" to get mine going.

            Although this will help, the box has a fairly nasty clock drift (enough
            for make to complain about creation times on a daily basis). ntpd would
            be a much better solution...

            Here's another bug, but in /www/script/set_hdd_format.sh and
            /www/script/set_hdd_format_usb.sh:

            VOL=`data '+%Y/%m/%d_%H:%M'`

            data should be date...

            Derek

            > David
            > --
            > David Walters +44 7989 574 161 david@...
            > A. Because it breaks the logical order of conversation.
            > Q. Why is top posting bad?

          • born_daniel
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 4, 2004
              Hee-hee! I fixed the NTP function! This is so much fun! ;-)
              I put "timezone=-5" (without the brackets) in /etc/timezone (since I
              live in EST). I even managed to correct the .pl script to
              say "Syncronized Time" instead and even fixed the "?" help box :-)

              Now my NTP works!

              Daniel
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, David Walters
              <david@j...> wrote:
              > (I've just upgraded mine to 1.44 so I'm only just beginning to
              look
              > around...)
              >
              > On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 10:08:12AM -0800, Rick Flower wrote:
              > > > There's also a problem with the timezones during DST times
              > > > (advancing the local timezone by one) and NTP and setting the
              time
              > > > from the PC's clock. It's ok now but only until the first week
              of
              > > > April ;-)
              > >
              > > I believe that the time is set via a cron job as I see
              occasional lines in
              > > the system logs indicating that
              >
              > There is a cronjob but it seems a little broken.
              >
              > The Web interface has a "Synchronized Interval" setting which
              claims
              > to allow you to set the clock to update every n hours. In reality
              it
              > creates a cronjob which will be called at n hours (so at 6am
              rather
              > than 4 times a day every 6 hours):
              >
              > root@links:/etc# crontab -l
              > 00 6 * * * /etc/cron.d/ntpdate
              >
              > The ntpdate script itself doesn't actually work on mine, it
              requires
              > a /etc/timezone which doesn't exist.
              >
              > Commenting out the line where it tries to execute /etc/timezone
              seems
              > to do no harm but then I live in GMT.
              >
              > David
              > --
              > David Walters +44 7989 574 161 david@j...
              > A. Because it breaks the logical order of conversation.
              > Q. Why is top posting bad?
            • David Walters
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 5, 2004
                On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 04:23:42PM -0800, Derek Taubert wrote:
                > Although this will help, the box has a fairly nasty clock drift (enough
                > for make to complain about creation times on a daily basis).

                I hadn't looked before but it's huge!

                > ntpd would
                > be a much better solution...

                I've tried installing the Kuro binary ntpd which runs and forms
                associations but doesn't seem to actually stop the clock drifting
                :-/

                David
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 5, 2004
                  Mine's actually about 10 seconds a day... I can live with that since
                  I got NTP to work (once a day if not several times a day...)