Re: Codepage - Chinese file names on LS with Samba 3.0.X

  • Frenchy
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 24, 2005
      I had the exact same issue, it is a Samba problem!

      You most likely work in a mixed environment from WinXP (some
      filename in english, some in Big5)
      Well the Samba 2.2x on LS can do *either or* if you fix the codepage
      file definition from smb.conf and also add the missing file to the
      tree (smb.conf will tell you where).

      BUT that alone won't solve your problem. This will...

      You must install Samba 3.0x or later to gain unicode compatibility
      for mixed names (USA+CHN)It can be a bitch to install but in the end
      you will have the same filenaming compatibility Windows gives us
      with mixed environments.
      Best of luck - The LS Samba exect are already posted in the file
      section. BY the time you are done you will be an expert. IF you are
      not confortable or prepared to learn Linux, this will be over you
      head quick.
      Ex: whatch out for nmdb smdb pid's paths messed up as it will cause
      sad LS box with no file access, just telnet
      Sam.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "hyeung288"
      <hyeung288@y...> wrote:

      > I do not type the chinese character in. I've been using iTunes
      > lately to rip chinese music. Itunes automatically generates the
      > track names in chinese. Unfortunately i have not been able to
      store
      > this on the linkstation due to this problem.
      >
      > I tried renaming a folder to ‰¤äÉ(Faye Wong), but it doesnt let
      > me....Unable to rename due to some syntax problem.
      > So i'm at a lost??
      >

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "kykpeng"
      <kykpeng@y...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Try "Faye Wong".
      > >
      > > I didn't have to do any type of "setup", it just worked.
      > >
      > > How do you type in chinese? I have Windows XP, and I use
      Windows'
      > > built-in IME. If you use one of those third-party packages like
      > > NJStar, that could be the problem.
      > >

      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "hyeung288"
      > > <hyeung288@y...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I am using firmware version 1.45 (1.45_13) and it giving me
      > errors?
      > > > I have tried several characters and all give problems.
      > > >
      > > > Can you give me an example of some characters that it'll
      accept.
      > > > Plus did you not have to setup the codepage to traditional
      > chinese
      > > > for this to work? Like i said, the corresponding codepage
      CP950