Definitively solved : LS clock shift

  • chano22000
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 22, 2005
      Hi,

      Based on Japanese forum discussions, I have adapted a script and
      downloaded in the files section a package for the LS (Clock Optimal
      Calibration.zip) that instantly optimzes the "tick" value of the
      LinkStation. This is done at every boot as the optimal value changes
      due to a kernel issue.

      It solves the well-known issue of the LS clock shift.

      Regards.
    • Marc Bizer
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 22, 2005
        On 3/22/05 at 6:09 PM +0000, chano22000 wrote:
        >Based on Japanese forum discussions, I have adapted a script and
        >downloaded in the files section a package for the LS (Clock Optimal
        >Calibration.zip) that instantly optimzes the "tick" value of the
        >LinkStation. This is done at every boot as the optimal value changes
        >due to a kernel issue.
        >
        >It solves the well-known issue of the LS clock shift.

        Is this better than what has already been proposed on this list using
        the adjtime.pl script?

        --Marc
      • chano22000
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 22, 2005
          Hi Marc,

          Both approaches give the same result, but as the optimal tick
          changes after every boot due to a LS kernel issue, it has to be
          recomputed every time : the result of adjtime.pl can unfortunately
          not be "hardwired" in a init script.

          The adjtime.pl script needs a NTP server to calibrate the clock and
          the process lasts several minutes at boot time. Other calls to time
          servers that modify the LS local clock should be avoided in the
          meantime (resulting from a cron job, perhaps from your
          SlimServer ...).

          The proposed solution uses kernel information to compute the optimal
          tick value without any reference to an external server and it is
          instantaneous. As it uses as an input the LS theoretical quartz
          frequency (which is stable according to measures from Japanese forum
          members), I used adjtime.pl once only to confirm that the effective
          quartz frequency of my LS is the right one.

          Regards.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Marc Bizer <mbizer@m...>
          wrote:
          > On 3/22/05 at 6:09 PM +0000, chano22000 wrote:
          > >Based on Japanese forum discussions, I have adapted a script and
          > >downloaded in the files section a package for the LS (Clock
          Optimal
          > >Calibration.zip) that instantly optimzes the "tick" value of the
          > >LinkStation. This is done at every boot as the optimal value
          changes
          > >due to a kernel issue.
          > >
          > >It solves the well-known issue of the LS clock shift.
          >
          > Is this better than what has already been proposed on this list
          using
          > the adjtime.pl script?
          >
          > --Marc
        • Marc Bizer
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 26, 2005
            Salut Philippe,

            I had modified /etc/crontab to use Don North's adjtime.pl script:

            >SHELL=/bin/bash
            >PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
            >MAILTO=
            >HOME=/
            >
            >02 4 * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
            >22 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
            >@reboot root /etc/cron.daily/adjtime

            So now I need to revert to the original script.

            What does the original crontab script look like?

            I have verson 1.44_13 of the firmware.

            --Marc
          • Marc Bizer
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 26, 2005
              Salut Philippe,

              I'm seeing this:

              >root@TREE250:/etc/init.d# /etc/init.d/ntpdate start
              > freq_base tick_base freq tick
              > 24.576000 10076 24.456798 10027
              >tick = 10027

              So my quartz isn't exactly tuned, is it? I haven't rebooted or
              anything since I introduced your modifications.

              So I went into adjtick.sh and set tmp_freq_base to 10027. Upon
              reboot, I now get this:

              >root@TREE250:/usr/sbin# /usr/sbin/adjtick.sh
              > freq_base tick_base freq tick
              > 24.456798 10027 24.394147 10001
              >tick = 10001

              So as you note in your posting to the Linkstation list, "the optimal tick
              changes after every boot due to a LS kernel issue."

              But I don't need to constantly change tmp_freq_base, do I?

              --Marc
            • Scott Leighton
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 26, 2005
                On Saturday 26 March 2005 10:38 am, Marc Bizer wrote:
                > Salut Philippe,
                >
                > I had modified /etc/crontab to use Don North's adjtime.pl script:
                > >SHELL=/bin/bash
                > >PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
                > >MAILTO=
                > >HOME=/
                > >
                > >02 4 * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh
                > >22 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
                > >@reboot root /etc/cron.daily/adjtime
                >
                > So now I need to revert to the original script.
                >
                > What does the original crontab script look like?

                Here it is....

                SHELL=/bin/bash
                PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
                MAILTO=
                HOME=/

                02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
                05 4 * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh

                --
                POPFile, the OpenSource EMail Classifier
                http://popfile.sourceforge.net/