External HDD: Incremental Backup? / Power down?

  • nellie gernegross
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 17, 2005
      The backup function to attached USB disk is ridiculous
      (fw 1.45_13): At every scheduled time you may either
      do a full backup (takes 1,5 hours for my 20 GB), where
      an old backup is simply overwritten, or you may do an
      "incrimental" (sic) backup which means another full
      backup to a new folder. Moreover, you cannot schedule
      backups when disk sleep is already scheduled. And the
      linkstation does not power down the external disk (or
      is this something that I have to configure directly at
      the USB disk - but how?) whereas it does so with the
      internal.

      Those of you who alredy have telnet access:

      -Is it possible to set up a cron job that makes more
      sense, i.e. a real incremental backup of all the
      internal disk changes to the external disk? (To
      restore files, I could attach it directly to a linux
      PC.) I think of something like this (see
      http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/#Incremental):

      mv backup.3 backup.tmp
      mv backup.2 backup.3
      mv backup.1 backup.2
      mv backup.0 backup.1
      mv backup.tmp backup.0
      cp -al backup.1/. backup.0
      rsync -a --delete source_directory/ backup.0/

      or, with rsync 2.5.7 or later:

      rm -rf backup.3
      mv backup.2 backup.3
      mv backup.1 backup.2
      mv backup.0 backup.1
      rsync -a --delete --link-dest=../backup.1
      source_directory/ backup.0/

      For this solution, cp and rsync have to be installed.
      Are they? Can one use precompiled versions? How to
      compile them?

      -Is there a power down function for the external hdd
      (like for the internal, 30 min. or so) that one could
      switch on?

      Please tell me if there is any solution. I am a linux
      newbie. I did not hack my linkstation yet, but I am
      prepared to do so (but would prefer to use the
      linkstation built-in firmware).

      Thank you all!!

    • Jonathan Schott
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 17, 2005
        nellie gernegross schrieb:
        > [...]
        > And the linkstation does not power down the external disk (or
        > is this something that I have to configure directly at the USB disk -
        > but how?) whereas it does so with the internal.

        There was already another thread about this on this group. It seems that
        this can't be done by the LS, instead the USB disk hast to do it by
        itself. For example, the Maxtor USB disks seem to do it automatically.

        > Those of you who alredy have telnet access:
        >
        > -Is it possible to set up a cron job that makes more sense, i.e. a
        > real incremental backup of all the internal disk changes to the
        > external disk?

        Of course, with telnet access or better ssh (!!! Can be installed after
        enabling telnet access) (nearly) everything is possible on the LS as
        there runs a (nearly) normal Linux in the background.

        > [...]
        > For this solution, cp and rsync have to be installed. Are they?
        > Can one use precompiled versions?

        You can use e.g. the precompiled executable from the Debian PowerPC
        Distribution. This worked for me for nearly every little tool/lib. You
        can download the extracted executable here: http://ls.jcedata.net/rsync
        Just copy it to /usr/bin and there you go! :-)

        > [...]
        > -Is there a power down function for the external hdd (like for the
        > internal, 30 min. or so) that one could switch on?

        see above!

        Hope this helps,
        Jonathan
      • haberschnasel
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 18, 2005
          Thanks, Jonathan, for your quick response. Seems like I am going to
          install rsync and try my luck with it. Is there a way to restore
          factory software and settings in case I get s/t wrong?

          When using the built-in backup function, it takes some 80 min. to back
          up 20 GB of data - i.e. 5 MB/s, this is extremely slow. USB2.0,
          Genesys external chipset, and my Fujitsu MHT2080AT should do much
          better. What are your transfer rates, roughly, when using cp or rsync?

          Concerning Ext. HDD power down: Since I will have to run a custom cron
          job, isn't in possible to use hdparm with either
          -y put IDE drive in standby mode
          -Y put IDE drive to sleep

          or, just once and on any linux system (my PCs run Windows :-( ), with
          -S set standby (spindown) timeout
          ??
          Since I did not find the thread you mentioned, maybe you could comment
          on these options. Is it a problem with the USB interface that it does
          not let these commands pass?
          Then, maybe, one could think of taking the drive out of the case and
          set -S directy.

          Thank you all again, this is a great list!
          Niels
        • haberschnasel
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 18, 2005
            Hmm, USB disks are treated as SCSI under Linux. So no way of using
            hdparm for my purpose. There might be a SCSI-idle Kernel patch for
            this task, but this is too much for me.
            Does anybody know: If I free my IDE disk from the USB case and attach
            it directly to a computer, then I will be able to use hdparm: Will the
            -S setting remain or will it be deleted when I ut it back into the USB
            case and attach it to - say - the linkstation? Think this voids my
            warranty so I better ask if this strategy makes sense.

            Thanks,
            Niels

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel"