Re: [LinkStation_General] Linkstation and slimserver - idiots guide??

  • Mr Sam Weiss
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2004
      Dave,

      I have slimserver running on my LinkStation and have
      kept track of most of the steps. But it isn't yet in
      any kind of "fool-proof howto guide."

      Are you starting completely from scratch? That is, an
      out-of-the-box LinkStation? Or have you gotten to the
      point where you have root access to the box?

      Sam

      --- david6736 <dave.ampaw@...> wrote:

      > I have looked at the slimsevices forums carefully
      > and here and am not really any clearer as
      > to the various steps in the procedure to get slim
      > server running on my linkstation - I am
      > obviously a real idiot so please bear with me.
      >
      > Is there a novice (never done any hacks before)
      > guide to achieving this which is at least
      > 95%+ foolproof with clear comprehensive instructions
      > as to what to do at each stage right
      > through to the end?
      >
      > I really want to achieve smooth operation of my
      > squeezebox and linkstation w/o having to
      > keep my ailing ibook on all the time.
      >
      > Any help would be very much appreciated

      Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
      www.yahoo.com
    • jamy1975
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2004
        I can help you a bit. I finally got slimserver working on mine after
        many tries. I will tell you, that if you are wanting support for
        anything other than mp3 and wav files, I have not been able to get it
        working as of yet. I am working on it though.

        Jamy

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Mr Sam Weiss
        <artagesw@y...> wrote:
        > Dave,
        >
        > I have slimserver running on my LinkStation and have
        > kept track of most of the steps. But it isn't yet in
        > any kind of "fool-proof howto guide."
        >
        > Are you starting completely from scratch? That is, an
        > out-of-the-box LinkStation? Or have you gotten to the
        > point where you have root access to the box?
        >
        > Sam
        >

        > --- david6736 <dave.ampaw@b...> wrote:
        >

        > > I have looked at the slimsevices forums carefully
        > > and here and am not really any clearer as
        > > to the various steps in the procedure to get slim
        > > server running on my linkstation - I am
        > > obviously a real idiot so please bear with me.
        > >
        > > Is there a novice (never done any hacks before)
        > > guide to achieving this which is at least
        > > 95%+ foolproof with clear comprehensive instructions
        > > as to what to do at each stage right
        > > through to the end?
        > >
        > > I really want to achieve smooth operation of my
        > > squeezebox and linkstation w/o having to
        > > keep my ailing ibook on all the time.
        > >
        > > Any help would be very much appreciated

        > Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
        > www.yahoo.com
      • david6736
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 4, 2004
          Thanks people - I am starting completely from scratch - new linkstation and no root
          access as yet.

          I want support for AAC,WAV,Mp3 and Ogg files. See from the forums that I read different
          people have different levels of sucess with getting certain types of files to run which I cant
          understand given that essentially the Linkstation is a consumer devices and (apart from
          firmware) should be identical in every case?

          Again if anyone can produce the idiots guide they'd be bery popular!

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...> wrote:

          > I can help you a bit. I finally got slimserver working on mine after
          > many tries. I will tell you, that if you are wanting support for
          > anything other than mp3 and wav files, I have not been able to get it
          > working as of yet. I am working on it though.
          >
          > Jamy
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Mr Sam Weiss
          > <artagesw@y...> wrote:
          > > Dave,
          > >
          > > I have slimserver running on my LinkStation and have
          > > kept track of most of the steps. But it isn't yet in
          > > any kind of "fool-proof howto guide."
          > >
          > > Are you starting completely from scratch? That is, an
          > > out-of-the-box LinkStation? Or have you gotten to the
          > > point where you have root access to the box?
          > >
          > > Sam
          > >

          > > --- david6736 <dave.ampaw@b...> wrote:
          > >

          > > > I have looked at the slimsevices forums carefully
          > > > and here and am not really any clearer as
          > > > to the various steps in the procedure to get slim
          > > > server running on my linkstation - I am
          > > > obviously a real idiot so please bear with me.
          > > >
          > > > Is there a novice (never done any hacks before)
          > > > guide to achieving this which is at least
          > > > 95%+ foolproof with clear comprehensive instructions
          > > > as to what to do at each stage right
          > > > through to the end?
          > > >
          > > > I really want to achieve smooth operation of my
          > > > squeezebox and linkstation w/o having to
          > > > keep my ailing ibook on all the time.
          > > >
          > > > Any help would be very much appreciated

          > > Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
          > > www.yahoo.com
        • Paul
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 4, 2004
            Like David, I'm in the same position. I have been trawling through
            all of the posts and can't find really the best place to start.

            All I want to do is run Slimserver on my Linkstation so I can access
            all of my MP3 files from my Squeezeboxes.

            Any help is very greatly received.

            Paul

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "david6736"
            <dave.ampaw@b...> wrote:

            > Thanks people - I am starting completely from scratch - new
            linkstation and no root
            > access as yet.
            >
            > I want support for AAC,WAV,Mp3 and Ogg files. See from the forums
            that I read different
            > people have different levels of sucess with getting certain types
            of files to run which I cant
            > understand given that essentially the Linkstation is a consumer
            devices and (apart from
            > firmware) should be identical in every case?
            >
            > Again if anyone can produce the idiots guide they'd be bery
            popular!

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
            wrote:

            > > I can help you a bit. I finally got slimserver working on mine
            after
            > > many tries. I will tell you, that if you are wanting support for
            > > anything other than mp3 and wav files, I have not been able to
            get it
            > > working as of yet. I am working on it though.
            > >
            > > Jamy
            > >
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Mr Sam Weiss
            > > <artagesw@y...> wrote:
            > > > Dave,
            > > >
            > > > I have slimserver running on my LinkStation and have
            > > > kept track of most of the steps. But it isn't yet in
            > > > any kind of "fool-proof howto guide."
            > > >
            > > > Are you starting completely from scratch? That is, an
            > > > out-of-the-box LinkStation? Or have you gotten to the
            > > > point where you have root access to the box?
            > > >
            > > > Sam

            > > > Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
            > > > www.yahoo.com
          • jamy1975
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 5, 2004
              I've posted a slimserver how to in the files section. Try that, and
              post if youneed any help with it.

              Jamy

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <paul@l...> wrote:

              > Like David, I'm in the same position. I have been trawling through
              > all of the posts and can't find really the best place to start.
              >
              > All I want to do is run Slimserver on my Linkstation so I can access
              > all of my MP3 files from my Squeezeboxes.
              >
              > Any help is very greatly received.
              >
              > Paul
              >
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "david6736"
              > <dave.ampaw@b...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Thanks people - I am starting completely from scratch - new
              > linkstation and no root
              > > access as yet.
              > >
              > > I want support for AAC,WAV,Mp3 and Ogg files. See from the forums
              > that I read different
              > > people have different levels of sucess with getting certain types
              > of files to run which I cant
              > > understand given that essentially the Linkstation is a consumer
              > devices and (apart from
              > > firmware) should be identical in every case?
              > >
              > > Again if anyone can produce the idiots guide they'd be bery
              > popular!
              > >
              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
              > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I can help you a bit. I finally got slimserver working on mine
              > after
              > > > many tries. I will tell you, that if you are wanting support for
              > > > anything other than mp3 and wav files, I have not been able to
              > get it
              > > > working as of yet. I am working on it though.
              > > >
              > > > Jamy
              > > >
              > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Mr Sam Weiss

            • Paul
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 6, 2004
                Ok I have got Root access to the box now and I have renamed my Perl
                directory but when I get to the next stage i.e. Un-TAR'ing the Kuro
                Perl file it comes back with an error.

                I am using a WinXP machine to do all of this on and I am copying the
                files to the share directory and then moving them to the root to
                unpack. I am guessing that there is a problem when I have moved the
                files from WinXP to the box.

                Any ideas??

                Thanks

                Paul