Linkstation and slimserver - idiots guide??

  • david6736
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2004
      I have looked at the slimsevices forums carefully and here and am not really any clearer as
      to the various steps in the procedure to get slim server running on my linkstation - I am
      obviously a real idiot so please bear with me.

      Is there a novice (never done any hacks before) guide to achieving this which is at least
      95%+ foolproof with clear comprehensive instructions as to what to do at each stage right
      through to the end?

      I really want to achieve smooth operation of my squeezebox and linkstation w/o having to
      keep my ailing ibook on all the time.

      Any help would be very much appreciated

    • Mr Sam Weiss
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2004
        Dave,

        I have slimserver running on my LinkStation and have
        kept track of most of the steps. But it isn't yet in
        any kind of "fool-proof howto guide."

        Are you starting completely from scratch? That is, an
        out-of-the-box LinkStation? Or have you gotten to the
        point where you have root access to the box?

        Sam

        --- david6736 <dave.ampaw@...> wrote:

        > I have looked at the slimsevices forums carefully
        > and here and am not really any clearer as
        > to the various steps in the procedure to get slim
        > server running on my linkstation - I am
        > obviously a real idiot so please bear with me.
        >
        > Is there a novice (never done any hacks before)
        > guide to achieving this which is at least
        > 95%+ foolproof with clear comprehensive instructions
        > as to what to do at each stage right
        > through to the end?
        >
        > I really want to achieve smooth operation of my
        > squeezebox and linkstation w/o having to
        > keep my ailing ibook on all the time.
        >
        > Any help would be very much appreciated

        Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
        www.yahoo.com
      • jamy1975
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2004
          I can help you a bit. I finally got slimserver working on mine after
          many tries. I will tell you, that if you are wanting support for
          anything other than mp3 and wav files, I have not been able to get it
          working as of yet. I am working on it though.

          Jamy

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Mr Sam Weiss
          <artagesw@y...> wrote:
          > Dave,
          >
          > I have slimserver running on my LinkStation and have
          > kept track of most of the steps. But it isn't yet in
          > any kind of "fool-proof howto guide."
          >
          > Are you starting completely from scratch? That is, an
          > out-of-the-box LinkStation? Or have you gotten to the
          > point where you have root access to the box?
          >
          > Sam
          >

          > --- david6736 <dave.ampaw@b...> wrote:
          >

          > > I have looked at the slimsevices forums carefully
          > > and here and am not really any clearer as
          > > to the various steps in the procedure to get slim
          > > server running on my linkstation - I am
          > > obviously a real idiot so please bear with me.
          > >
          > > Is there a novice (never done any hacks before)
          > > guide to achieving this which is at least
          > > 95%+ foolproof with clear comprehensive instructions
          > > as to what to do at each stage right
          > > through to the end?
          > >
          > > I really want to achieve smooth operation of my
          > > squeezebox and linkstation w/o having to
          > > keep my ailing ibook on all the time.
          > >
          > > Any help would be very much appreciated

          > Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
          > www.yahoo.com
        • david6736
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 4, 2004
            Thanks people - I am starting completely from scratch - new linkstation and no root
            access as yet.

            I want support for AAC,WAV,Mp3 and Ogg files. See from the forums that I read different
            people have different levels of sucess with getting certain types of files to run which I cant
            understand given that essentially the Linkstation is a consumer devices and (apart from
            firmware) should be identical in every case?

            Again if anyone can produce the idiots guide they'd be bery popular!

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...> wrote:

            > I can help you a bit. I finally got slimserver working on mine after
            > many tries. I will tell you, that if you are wanting support for
            > anything other than mp3 and wav files, I have not been able to get it
            > working as of yet. I am working on it though.
            >
            > Jamy
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Mr Sam Weiss
            > <artagesw@y...> wrote:
            > > Dave,
            > >
            > > I have slimserver running on my LinkStation and have
            > > kept track of most of the steps. But it isn't yet in
            > > any kind of "fool-proof howto guide."
            > >
            > > Are you starting completely from scratch? That is, an
            > > out-of-the-box LinkStation? Or have you gotten to the
            > > point where you have root access to the box?
            > >
            > > Sam
            > >

            > > --- david6736 <dave.ampaw@b...> wrote:
            > >

            > > > I have looked at the slimsevices forums carefully
            > > > and here and am not really any clearer as
            > > > to the various steps in the procedure to get slim
            > > > server running on my linkstation - I am
            > > > obviously a real idiot so please bear with me.
            > > >
            > > > Is there a novice (never done any hacks before)
            > > > guide to achieving this which is at least
            > > > 95%+ foolproof with clear comprehensive instructions
            > > > as to what to do at each stage right
            > > > through to the end?
            > > >
            > > > I really want to achieve smooth operation of my
            > > > squeezebox and linkstation w/o having to
            > > > keep my ailing ibook on all the time.
            > > >
            > > > Any help would be very much appreciated

            > > Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
            > > www.yahoo.com
          • Paul
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 4, 2004
              Like David, I'm in the same position. I have been trawling through
              all of the posts and can't find really the best place to start.

              All I want to do is run Slimserver on my Linkstation so I can access
              all of my MP3 files from my Squeezeboxes.

              Any help is very greatly received.

              Paul

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "david6736"
              <dave.ampaw@b...> wrote:

              > Thanks people - I am starting completely from scratch - new
              linkstation and no root
              > access as yet.
              >
              > I want support for AAC,WAV,Mp3 and Ogg files. See from the forums
              that I read different
              > people have different levels of sucess with getting certain types
              of files to run which I cant
              > understand given that essentially the Linkstation is a consumer
              devices and (apart from
              > firmware) should be identical in every case?
              >
              > Again if anyone can produce the idiots guide they'd be bery
              popular!

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
              wrote:

              > > I can help you a bit. I finally got slimserver working on mine
              after
              > > many tries. I will tell you, that if you are wanting support for
              > > anything other than mp3 and wav files, I have not been able to
              get it
              > > working as of yet. I am working on it though.
              > >
              > > Jamy
              > >
              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Mr Sam Weiss
              > > <artagesw@y...> wrote:
              > > > Dave,
              > > >
              > > > I have slimserver running on my LinkStation and have
              > > > kept track of most of the steps. But it isn't yet in
              > > > any kind of "fool-proof howto guide."
              > > >
              > > > Are you starting completely from scratch? That is, an
              > > > out-of-the-box LinkStation? Or have you gotten to the
              > > > point where you have root access to the box?
              > > >
              > > > Sam

              > > > Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
              > > > www.yahoo.com
            • jamy1975
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 5, 2004
                I've posted a slimserver how to in the files section. Try that, and
                post if youneed any help with it.

                Jamy

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <paul@l...> wrote:

                > Like David, I'm in the same position. I have been trawling through
                > all of the posts and can't find really the best place to start.
                >
                > All I want to do is run Slimserver on my Linkstation so I can access
                > all of my MP3 files from my Squeezeboxes.
                >
                > Any help is very greatly received.
                >
                > Paul
                >
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "david6736"
                > <dave.ampaw@b...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Thanks people - I am starting completely from scratch - new
                > linkstation and no root
                > > access as yet.
                > >
                > > I want support for AAC,WAV,Mp3 and Ogg files. See from the forums
                > that I read different
                > > people have different levels of sucess with getting certain types
                > of files to run which I cant
                > > understand given that essentially the Linkstation is a consumer
                > devices and (apart from
                > > firmware) should be identical in every case?
                > >
                > > Again if anyone can produce the idiots guide they'd be bery
                > popular!
                > >
                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
                > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I can help you a bit. I finally got slimserver working on mine
                > after
                > > > many tries. I will tell you, that if you are wanting support for
                > > > anything other than mp3 and wav files, I have not been able to
                > get it
                > > > working as of yet. I am working on it though.
                > > >
                > > > Jamy
                > > >
                > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Mr Sam Weiss

              • Paul
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 6, 2004
                  Ok I have got Root access to the box now and I have renamed my Perl
                  directory but when I get to the next stage i.e. Un-TAR'ing the Kuro
                  Perl file it comes back with an error.

                  I am using a WinXP machine to do all of this on and I am copying the
                  files to the share directory and then moving them to the root to
                  unpack. I am guessing that there is a problem when I have moved the
                  files from WinXP to the box.

                  Any ideas??

                  Thanks

                  Paul