Bittorrent for Kuro Box with Gentoo TRICK. also using SCREEN

  • kqt2
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 13, 2005
      Hi Everyone,

      I've just learned how to use bittorrent with the Kuro box using
      gentoo. I thought I share my findings with all of you. I've tested
      and it works great.

      First go to www.bittornado.com and download the tar file for bittornado.

      #tar xvfz BitTornado-0.3.10.tar.gz
      #cd BitTornado-CVS
      #btlaunchmanycurses.py /root

      the /root is the directory where I saved the torrent files too.

      The btlaunchmanycurses program will launch and start downloading any
      torrent files in the /root directory. ** OF COURSE YOU CAN ALWAYS
      SPECIFY WHAT DIRECTORY YOU WANT THE TORRENTS TO FALL UNDER.***

      now for the second tip.. If you download animes like me using
      bittorent. You know you will have to leave your computer on for a
      while until the download is complete.

      #emerge screens

      OR

      # emerge screen

      I forgot which one I used. This hefty program will allow process to
      be run in the background even though you've closed the connection to
      your Kuro Box. Some programs such as Apache takes forever to emerge.
      Over an hour to be exact. By running the program screen you can
      close the ssh connection to your kuro box , shut down your computer
      and go to sleep. Your Kuro box will continue to compile the software
      with your computer off. This goes the same with bittorrent downloads.
      Her e is how you do it.

      First emerge screens or emerge screen.

      after finish emerging

      #screen

      now, run your bittorent command from above..

      hold Control "a" then "d"

      THis will detached the screen and bittorrent will continue to download
      in the background. You will then be brought back to the command
      prompt. You can continue to run other programs such as compiling
      other software.

      #screen -ls
      will show how many detached screens you are running.

      #screen -r 1234 .kjlk.host. << flag -r will attached the
      screen in the list

      this will bring the program runnign in the background using screen
      back to life.

      ENJOY.
    • Tim Lewis
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 13, 2005
        kqt2 wrote:

        > # emerge screen
        >

        > I forgot which one I used. This hefty program will allow process to
        > be run in the background even though you've closed the connection to
        > your Kuro Box.

        *sigh* Doesn't anyone know how to use "nohup" anymore? ;)

        - Tim
      • Roy M. Silvernail
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 13, 2005
          Tim Lewis wrote:

          >kqt2 wrote:
          >

          >># emerge screen
          >>

          >>I forgot which one I used. This hefty program will allow process to
          >>be run in the background even though you've closed the connection to
          >>your Kuro Box.
          >>

          >*sigh* Doesn't anyone know how to use "nohup" anymore? ;)

          T'ain't the same thing. Screen lets you reconnect to an interactive
          process, where nohup is most useful for non-interactive jobs. I use
          nohup when I want to log the process output (and then tail the logfile
          to monitor it), but screen is more convenient for things like leaving a
          persistent console email client running.

          --
          Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
          "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFT