Need advice on which LinkStation to buy: 120 or 160/250/300?

  • terry_851
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 12, 2005
      I am new to this forum and am looking to buy a LinkStation. I've
      noticed that there is a rebate on the LinkStation 120Gb and 300Gb
      models, and the differences between the 120Gb and the other drive
      sizes is the availability of a FTP server and some other misc
      utilities. My question is, if I purchase the 120Gb model, can it be
      upgraded to the latest firmware, and will this give me the additional
      features of the 160Gb+ models?

      If I can upgrade the firmware to the latest version (and where can I
      find it - I looked on the Buffalo ftp web site and was not sure which
      file it would be - fw_up204_10.zip?), I'll probably get the 120Gb
      model and upgrade to a larger hard drive when I find a good sale on
      larger hard drives. If not, as I'm not (yet) a Linux hacker, I'll
      probably opt for the 300Gb model.

      Advice/comments?

      Thanks!
    • Scott Leighton
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 12, 2005
        On Saturday 12 March 2005 7:46 pm, terry_851 wrote:
        > I am new to this forum and am looking to buy a LinkStation.  I've
        > noticed that there is a rebate on the LinkStation 120Gb and 300Gb
        > models, and the differences between the 120Gb and the other drive
        > sizes is the availability of a FTP server and some other misc
        > utilities.  My question is, if I purchase the 120Gb model, can it be
        > upgraded to the latest firmware, and will this give me the additional
        > features of the 160Gb+ models?
        >
        > If I can upgrade the firmware to the latest version (and where can I
        > find it - I looked on the Buffalo ftp web site and was not sure which
        > file it would be - fw_up204_10.zip?), I'll probably get the 120Gb
        > model and upgrade to a larger hard drive when I find a good sale on
        > larger hard drives.  If not, as I'm not (yet) a Linux hacker, I'll
        > probably opt for the 300Gb model.

        I bought the 120, it has ftp and it certainly can be upgraded. Mine
        had 1.43, I flashed 1.45_13 and hacked it to permit telnet.

        Scott

        --
        POPFile, the OpenSource EMail Classifier
        http://popfile.sourceforge.net/
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 17, 2005
          I would go for the 120. I had a 120 with fw1.3. It has now been
          upgraded with a 250GB drive, it's also now a Kurobox and is running
          Gentoo. You will need to get a hackable firmware realease. If you
          can't find it I can supply it for you.

          This group is a great repository of information. Everything you need
          to know is here.

          Mike

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Scott Leighton