Linkstation and Slimserver (lossless experiment)

  • jamy1975
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 2, 2004
      I have been experimenting with lossless files on the linkstation. So
      far I have only done wav as I have been a bit gun shy about compiling
      native flac and shorten binaries. The results have been good so far
      though. I have been running top on the linkstation while playing wav
      files from the squeezebox. Slimserver has been showing a max of 13%
      cpu usage under these conditions, very promising results I think.
      Based on my benchmarking of slimserver and flac on my PII 450 redhat
      box, flac should use 1 to 2% of the cpu by itself and around 500k of
      ram, for a total of 14 to 15% of total CPU, very promising indeed.

      The only potential problem is scan time. When scanning and playing wav
      files at the same time, cpu useage can jump to around 50%, still
      respectable considering what the linkstation was designed for.

      Jamy
    • pholmstr
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 10, 2004
        Any progress on this? I am interested in going to a completely
        lossless SlimServer on Linkstation (or Kuro) serving up to a
        SqueeezeBox or SoundBridge... anyone else doing this? Does Apple
        Lossless compression work? Which lossless format is best for
        performance?

        Thanks!

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
        wrote:

        > I have been experimenting with lossless files on the linkstation. So
        > far I have only done wav as I have been a bit gun shy about
        compiling
        > native flac and shorten binaries. The results have been good so far
        > though. I have been running top on the linkstation while playing
        wav
        > files from the squeezebox. Slimserver has been showing a max of 13%
        > cpu usage under these conditions, very promising results I think.
        > Based on my benchmarking of slimserver and flac on my PII 450 redhat
        > box, flac should use 1 to 2% of the cpu by itself and around 500k of
        > ram, for a total of 14 to 15% of total CPU, very promising indeed.
        >
        > The only potential problem is scan time. When scanning and playing
        wav
        > files at the same time, cpu useage can jump to around 50%, still
        > respectable considering what the linkstation was designed for.
        >
        > Jamy
      • jamy1975
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 13, 2004
          If you install the newest slimserver distro, you will be able to paly
          lossless files. Follow the insturctions in the files section of this
          group.

          Jamy

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "pholmstr"
          <pholmstrand@c...> wrote:

          > Any progress on this? I am interested in going to a completely
          > lossless SlimServer on Linkstation (or Kuro) serving up to a
          > SqueeezeBox or SoundBridge... anyone else doing this? Does Apple
          > Lossless compression work? Which lossless format is best for
          > performance?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I have been experimenting with lossless files on the linkstation. So
          > > far I have only done wav as I have been a bit gun shy about
          > compiling
          > > native flac and shorten binaries. The results have been good so far
          > > though. I have been running top on the linkstation while playing
          > wav
          > > files from the squeezebox. Slimserver has been showing a max of 13%
          > > cpu usage under these conditions, very promising results I think.
          > > Based on my benchmarking of slimserver and flac on my PII 450 redhat
          > > box, flac should use 1 to 2% of the cpu by itself and around 500k of
          > > ram, for a total of 14 to 15% of total CPU, very promising indeed.
          > >
          > > The only potential problem is scan time. When scanning and playing
          > wav
          > > files at the same time, cpu useage can jump to around 50%, still
          > > respectable considering what the linkstation was designed for.
          > >
          > > Jamy
        • pholmstr
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 13, 2004
            Yes but how's performance? any problems with dropouts?

            Basically I just want to know if the Linkstation hardware is up to
            the task of running Slimserver with over 200 albums of WAV or Apple
            lossless formats...

            wrote:

            > If you install the newest slimserver distro, you will be able to
            paly
            > lossless files. Follow the insturctions in the files section of this
            > group.
            >
            > Jamy
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "pholmstr"
            > <pholmstrand@c...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Any progress on this? I am interested in going to a completely
            > > lossless SlimServer on Linkstation (or Kuro) serving up to a
            > > SqueeezeBox or SoundBridge... anyone else doing this? Does Apple
            > > Lossless compression work? Which lossless format is best for
            > > performance?
            > >
            > > Thanks!
            > >
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975"
            <jamy@b...>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I have been experimenting with lossless files on the
            linkstation. So
            > > > far I have only done wav as I have been a bit gun shy about
            > > compiling
            > > > native flac and shorten binaries. The results have been good so
            far
            > > > though. I have been running top on the linkstation while
            playing
            > > wav
            > > > files from the squeezebox. Slimserver has been showing a max of
            13%
            > > > cpu usage under these conditions, very promising results I
            think.
            > > > Based on my benchmarking of slimserver and flac on my PII 450
            redhat
            > > > box, flac should use 1 to 2% of the cpu by itself and around
            500k of
            > > > ram, for a total of 14 to 15% of total CPU, very promising
            indeed.

            > > > The only potential problem is scan time. When scanning and
            playing
            > > wav
            > > > files at the same time, cpu useage can jump to around 50%, still
            > > > respectable considering what the linkstation was designed for.
            > > >
            > > > Jamy
          • jamy1975
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 14, 2004
              In my experience, it runs just fine using wavs as shown by my results
              below. I do not use wma, so I cannot tell you what kind of load that
              would add. Wav is the native format of slimserver so the server has to
              do nothing to it, before streaming. Wheras with wma, flac, etc, the
              file has to be decoded from the format and transcoded to either mp3 or
              wav, the native formats used by the squeezebox.

              Hope that helps.

              <pholmstrand@c...> wrote:

              > Yes but how's performance? any problems with dropouts?
              >
              > Basically I just want to know if the Linkstation hardware is up to
              > the task of running Slimserver with over 200 albums of WAV or Apple
              > lossless formats...
              >
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > If you install the newest slimserver distro, you will be able to
              > paly
              > > lossless files. Follow the insturctions in the files section of this
              > > group.
              > >
              > > Jamy
              > >
              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "pholmstr"
              > > <pholmstrand@c...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Any progress on this? I am interested in going to a completely
              > > > lossless SlimServer on Linkstation (or Kuro) serving up to a
              > > > SqueeezeBox or SoundBridge... anyone else doing this? Does Apple
              > > > Lossless compression work? Which lossless format is best for
              > > > performance?
              > > >
              > > > Thanks!
              > > >
              > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975"
              > <jamy@b...>

              > linkstation. So
              > > > compiling
              > far
              > playing
              > > > wav
              > 13%
              > think.
              > redhat
              > 500k of
              > indeed.

              > playing
              > > > wav

            • jamy1975
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 14, 2004
                I forgot to answer your question on dropouts... Using wav or flac, on
                my wired 100mb network, I only experience dropouts if I am trying to
                rescan or if I am trying to move large files to the linkstation at the
                same time as playing music.

                <pholmstrand@c...> wrote:

                > Yes but how's performance? any problems with dropouts?
                >
                > Basically I just want to know if the Linkstation hardware is up to
                > the task of running Slimserver with over 200 albums of WAV or Apple
                > lossless formats...
                >
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > If you install the newest slimserver distro, you will be able to
                > paly
                > > lossless files. Follow the insturctions in the files section of this
                > > group.
                > >
                > > Jamy
                > >
                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "pholmstr"
                > > <pholmstrand@c...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Any progress on this? I am interested in going to a completely
                > > > lossless SlimServer on Linkstation (or Kuro) serving up to a
                > > > SqueeezeBox or SoundBridge... anyone else doing this? Does Apple
                > > > Lossless compression work? Which lossless format is best for
                > > > performance?
                > > >
                > > > Thanks!
                > > >
                > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975"
                > <jamy@b...>

                > linkstation. So
                > > > compiling
                > far
                > playing
                > > > wav
                > 13%
                > think.
                > redhat
                > 500k of
                > indeed.

                > playing
                > > > wav

              • chano22000
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
                  (Attention : Jamy 1975)

                  Thanks for your contribution to this forum especially in the files
                  section.

                  I am about to install Slimserver on my LS according to your HowTo
                  document.

                  The current (and only) SlimServer version available for download is
                  the 5.4.0.
                  Your HowTo refers to the 5.3.1 (the previous one according to the
                  release notes). Apart the flac oggdec shorten files in the bin
                  section of the distribution, there is a mDNSResponderPosix file
                  (which will be installed as far as I understand).

                  You provide a LS version for the three first ones, is there someting
                  to be done with the mDNSResponderPosix or is it new in this version ?
                  (in such a case, I should not even try to install this new version -
                  but where should I find the 5.3.1?)

                  By the way, is Perl 5.6.1 still the right version to use ?

                  Thanks for your answer.
                • Gregory Cornelius
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005

                    Has anyone had luck with being able to use the Linkstation's print server to print to multifunction printers.  I have an HP PSC 1210XI that I'd love to use.

                    I'm not interested in using any of the other functions, just the printing.  I've looked for just a print driver for this machine but am not having any luck.  Any tweaks or tricks to get this printer working would be greatly appreciated.

                    Greg in Toledo, OH

                  • gleibrock
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
                      I still don't get the Epson EPL 5000L to work.
                      If I connect it, the printer's green led starts to flash and
                      after the red one is lit...

                      aargh

                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Cornelius