Slimserver Newbie Question

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 12, 2005
      I'm considering getting a Linkstation to free my desktop from
      runring Slimserver.(approx 10,000 songs), I also have a 250gb USB
      disk with files already on it.

      Would I have to re format the USB drive to connect it to the
      linkstation and would it be easy to swap the usb disk between the
      linkstation and other windows pcs after connecting to linkstation?

      Also have people manged to get AlienBBC running on the linkstation
      OK?

      Thanks in advance

      Matthew
    • Steven
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 13, 2005
        Matthew,
        Having just gone through this, the answer is "The USB drive will have
        to be formatted after it is connected to the Linkstation"

        Probably not what you want to hear. The USB drive is also NOT hot
        swappable on the Linkstation.

        My experience was hooking a 250Gb Drivestation onto the back of my
        Linkstation. With the linkstation on, the drivestation went into a
        fault, and had to be recycled several times before it would boot
        properly. You'll have to turn your Linkstation off, hook up the USB
        drive, then boot the Linkstation. After the boot, you'll have to use
        the Linkstation utilities to format the USB drive.

        Good luck,
        Steve

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Matt"
        <matthew_hodgskiss@y...> wrote:

        > I'm considering getting a Linkstation to free my desktop from
        > runring Slimserver.(approx 10,000 songs), I also have a 250gb USB
        > disk with files already on it.
        >
        > Would I have to re format the USB drive to connect it to the
        > linkstation and would it be easy to swap the usb disk between the
        > linkstation and other windows pcs after connecting to linkstation?
        >
        > Also have people manged to get AlienBBC running on the linkstation
        > OK?
        >
        > Thanks in advance
        >
        > Matthew
      • Jonathan Schott
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 15, 2005
          Steven schrieb:
          > Having just gone through this, the answer is "The USB drive will have
          > to be formatted after it is connected to the Linkstation"

          I don't agree to this. There are some problems with NTFS partitions (I
          fixed the responsible script, see the "Using an USB disk with a NTFS
          partition on it" thread). But with already existing ext2/ext3/fat32
          there should be no problem. Of course, with NTFS your drive will be
          read-only, with the others you can also write to it.

          > Probably not what you want to hear. The USB drive is also NOT hot
          > swappable on the Linkstation.

          Also, I don't agree! I used several NTFS formatted USB disks and hot
          swapped them on and off and on... no probs (with firmware 1.45).

          Hope this helps,

          Jonathan