Re: More information

  • shawn_ledbetter
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 21, 2004
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dfw0118" <dfw1234@h...>
      wrote:

      > I've read through a number of Japanese webpages and there's a lot of
      > info there. When I can get some time to translate, I plan on putting
      > that info on here and on my webpage.

      Cool -- I've tried following a couple of those sites via online
      translators, but it doesn't quite work for technical work. The ones
      that interest me most are the Debian conversions. From what I can
      tell, you have to rip apart the HD inside and mount on a PC, then
      untar or dd over the root filesystem. Unfortunately I couldn't crack
      mine open to mount it - I might try again sometime later. I've got a
      couple links posted at http://del.icio.us/sml/linkstation that are
      frontends into translators. You can see what fun it is :)

      -sml
    • dfw0118
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 22, 2004
        > Cool -- I've tried following a couple of those sites via online
        > translators, but it doesn't quite work for technical work. The ones
        > that interest me most are the Debian conversions. From what I can
        > tell, you have to rip apart the HD inside and mount on a PC, then
        > untar or dd over the root filesystem. Unfortunately I couldn't
        crack
        > mine open to mount it - I might try again sometime later. I've got
        > couple links posted at http://del.icio.us/sml/linkstation that are
        > frontends into translators. You can see what fun it is :)
        >
        > -sml

        Reading those machine translated web pages were just too confusing and
        sometimes funny. :) Luckily I can read enough Japanese to tell what's
        going on for the most part.

        It's not too hard to open the box, but of course the first time will
        be difficult. Basically you have to take the "belt" off first. It's
        the front plastic part of the unit that has the status lights and
        such. There are tabs on the top and bottom of the unit that you push
        in. If you look in the grooves you'll see a button-like spot. There
        also might be a screw in the back of the unit by the ethernet port
        that you need to take out. Might be hidden behind a sticker or
        something. Mine didn't have one, but others probably do.

        After you push them in, then you should be able to pull the belt off
        by pulling it toward the front about an inch. Then just lift it off.
        Once that is off, you'll see that the case is a clamshell with more
        tabs to undo. There's 4 of them I believe.

        Once you have the clamshell open, then it's pretty easy to get to the
        HD. However, you still have to unscrew the motherboard, HD bay, and
        perhaps the power supply.

        Hope this helps.

        - David
      • Stuart Stegall
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 22, 2004
          Just a FYI for those who are from the US and Canada, those silly stickers that say you'll void your warranty if they are cut through
          and what not. We have lovely warranty laws in the US and Canada (probably other countries as well), and those laws say that unless
          you do something that would cause the device to malfunction, that they cannot void your warranty. So feel free to slice those stickers.