Re: [LinkStation_General] re: Article on LinkStation in 3/05 Business 2.0 Magazine

  • Tim Lewis
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 7, 2005
      Paul Milligan (home) wrote:
      > Thanks for your (disconcerting) point #1. I always thought you'd be safe
      > leaving an IP unprotected for a couple of days!

      I should probably mention that the average survival time has gone up.
      Last April, it stood at around 15 minutes.

      You have to keep in mind, though, that this is an average survival time.
      It may be lower or higher for your particular case. On Comcast, for instance,
      the attacks hit my router about every 5-10 minutes.

      The important thing to realize is that you do not have enough time to
      download OS patches before you will be infected, so do not connect
      a machine unless you have it firewalled.

      - Tim