Re: moving unit from one network to another?

  • born_daniel
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 5, 2005
      Ken,

      Do not confuse Mb (megabit) and MB (megabyte)...
      You nic at 100Mb/s will transfer (assuming no overhead at all), 12.5
      megabytes per second. This means that the max throughput over 15
      minutes is (12.5*60*15 = 11250 MB = 11GB).

      I just did a test transfer from my 160GB Linkstation to my computer:
      I copied a single 0.99GB file (1,073,565,696 bytes) from the LS to
      my computer. The LS is directly connected to my computer's Ethernet
      port and the computer was doing nothing else that was CPU consuming.
      I would consider this to be pretty much the ideal situation. The
      transfer took 2 minutes and 36 seconds.

      This translates to 1073565696/156 = 6881831 bytes/second = 6.56MB/s
      = 52.5Mb/s. Just slightly above half of the 100Mb/s "theoretical"
      transfer rate.

      Now if your LS is connected to a router/hub and you're writing to
      the disk instead of reading, you'll be getting close to 5MB/s (or at
      least not much more than 6.56MB/s...) ;-)

      Regards,
      Daniel
      P.S. 5GB in 15 minutes is 5.69MB/s... :-)

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <krg61@y...> wrote:

      > Huh? 5MB/s? Are you sure? I just bought the Linkstation 160 and
      > transferred 5 GB's over to it in about 15 minutes. "if" properly
      > connected to a switch, you'll get the normal 10/100 speed with
      Auto-
      > Duplexing. Perhaps you should check your NIC card speed. Your
      > probably connecting at 10 MB/s, but collisions or something are
      > dropping your transfer rate. If you have a NIC card that can do
      100
      > MB/s full duplex (or Auto-Duplex to a switch that can do 10/100),
      > make sure they are going through your switch at the proper speed.
      > Also, on most switches, they will autolink at 100 full duplex (200
      > MB/s). If that doesn't help, try using a different cable and make
      > sure straight thru/Crossover switch is set properly. On my Linksys
      > switch, I get the full duplex light on to the Linkstation and the
      > transfer rate is 94.118 MB/s. If you have'nt noticed any other
      > problems, then my first guess is that the nic on your PC is only
      > talking at 10 MB/s half duplex.
      >

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Bertram Dorfler
      > <ernie73@g...> wrote:
      > > It is not a problem to use the linkstation in different
      networks.
      > You can
      > > have it set to use the local dhcp server to get the current
      network
      > > configuration automatically. No formatting will be required. But
      the
      > > linkstation is slow (about 5MB/s) so it will take a while to
      > transfer data
      > > to other computers.
      > >

      > > _____

      GB)

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129k54o5b/M=298184.6018725.7038619.30011
      7
      > 6/D=gr

      oups/S=1705004750:HM/EXP=1110041812/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http
      :
      > /www.n
      > > etflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075> click here
      > >

      > > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
      > M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=
      > > :HM/A=2593423/rand=628638707>
      > >

      > > _____
      > >
      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > subject=Unsubscribe>

    • irvine_stock
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 5, 2005
        Ken,
        I am with daniel on this. The excepted speed of the linkStation
        (using samba) is 5MBytes/sec writes and 7Mbytes/sec reads. A lot of
        tests have been run on various OS versions and still validate these
        numbers. Some will get slightly lower depending on network
        conditions and computer setups. You are never going to get
        94MBytes/sec out of a LS. :-)
        The only way to speed it up seems to be changing from Samba to some
        other protocol without as much latency built-in. Even my 1Gbit
        LinkStation does not get much better performance either.
        Rich

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "born_daniel"
        <born_daniel@y...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > sure straight thru/Crossover switch is set properly. On my
        Linksys
        > > switch, I get the full duplex light on to the Linkstation and
        the
        > > transfer rate is 94.118 MB/s. If you have'nt noticed any other
        > > problems, then my first guess is that the nic on your PC is only
        > > talking at 10 MB/s half duplex.
        > >

        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Bertram Dorfler
        > > <ernie73@g...> wrote:
        > > > It is not a problem to use the linkstation in different
        > networks.
        > > You can
        > > > have it set to use the local dhcp server to get the current
        > network
        > > > configuration automatically. No formatting will be required.
        But
        > the
        > > > linkstation is slow (about 5MB/s) so it will take a while to

      • Bertram Dörfler
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 5, 2005
          thanks, that you both answer for me ;-)
          You really think samba is the problem? i thought the built in lan chip of the LS is just slow and thought about connecting an usb2-lan adapter to it...

          bert

          <born_daniel@y...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > sure straight thru/Crossover switch is set properly. On my
          Linksys
          > > switch, I get the full duplex light on to the Linkstation and
          the
          > > transfer rate is 94.118 MB/s.  If you have'nt noticed any other
          > > problems, then my first guess is that the nic on your PC is only
          > > talking at 10 MB/s half duplex.
          > >

          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Bertram Dorfler
          > > <ernie73@g...> wrote:
          > > > It is not a problem to use the linkstation in different
          > networks.
          > > You can
          > > > have it set to use the local dhcp server to get the current
          > network
          > > > configuration automatically. No formatting will be required.
          But
          > the
          > > > linkstation is slow (about 5MB/s) so it will take a while to

        • Marc Bizer
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 5, 2005
            On 3/6/05 at 4:03 AM +0000, irvine_stock wrote:
            >The only way to speed it up seems to be changing from Samba to some
            >other protocol without as much latency built-in.

            Netatalk 2 seems to do a bit better :-)

            --Marc
          • Bertram Dörfler
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 5, 2005
              mmh, maybe not with my pc ;-) what transfer rates do you get?
              bert

              On 3/6/05 at 4:03 AM +0000, irvine_stock wrote:
              >The only way to speed it up seems to be changing from Samba to some
              >other protocol without as much latency built-in.

              Netatalk 2 seems to do a bit better :-)

                    --Marc

            • Tim Lewis
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 6, 2005
                Ken wrote:

                > Huh? 5MB/s? Are you sure? I just bought the Linkstation 160 and
                > transferred 5 GB's over to it in about 15 minutes.

                I'm damn sure.

                5 GB / 15 minutes = 5120 MB / 900 seconds = ~5.7 MB/s

                - Tim
              • Ken
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 8, 2005
                  I had the MB right, The transfer rate is measured as MB/minute
                  (Megabytes per minute.) My mistake for making it sound like *seconds.