Linkstation not getting out through my router?

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30, 2004
      I'm finally getting around to attempting to get Debian
      Linux installed on my Linkstation so that from then on
      software installs and updates will just be an
      "apt-get" away. I'm working on using the
      "debootstrap" scripts so to do the whole install from
      the existing Linkstation Linux.

      Anyway, I ran into a problem.

      My linkstation can't seem to get out through my little
      D-link router. Here are the details:

      My router seems to be working fine, my other
      workstations (including other linux ones) work just
      fine through it and can ping the router too.

      I had modified the /etc/network/interfaces to have the
      correct information, including the gateway address,
      and rebooted the linkstation.

      Sure enough the routing table now has the gateway
      listed:

      Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use
      Iface
      192.168.0.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
      default 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

      I ping my gateway (192.168.0.1) from the linkstation
      and get nothing, and of course I try to ping something
      on the internet (by IP address since there is no DNS
      lookup running on the linkstation) and also get no
      response. The linkstation can ping everything else on
      my LAN however.

      =============

      Other things I've done to my linkstation that might be
      related:

      I've upgraded the "firmware" from 1.43 to 1.44.

      I've changed the root password (in /etc/passwd) to the
      one I had entered into the Linkstation's web
      interface. Since doing this, I no longer have access
      to the web interface (claims password is no good), but
      telnet login works just fine.

      On 1.43 and 1.44 the web interface seems to quit
      working anyway after about a day or so for some
      reason. If you reboot the computer, it starts working
      again.

      ===============

      Any ideas?

      For reasons like above, I'd really like to pitch the
      factory OS on this thing as soon as possible so to get
      a more standard Linux running on it, while importing
      or otherwise dealing with the functions provided by
      the Atmel processor.

      ====

      A separate but related project is to put my own kernel
      on the linkstation. Can someone who has done this now
      post a summery of what they did? Has anyone compiled
      their own virgin kernel (like from kernel.org), or
      only recompiled the MontaVista one from Buffalo? I've
      compiled kernels for other machines a lot, so I don't
      need any basics on doing this, only the special
      "gotcha's" that are specific to the linkstation.

      =====
      Having another person's trust is more powerful than all other management techniques put together. I have no legal or explicit power. I only have the power of having people's trust -- but that's a lot of power.

      Linus Torvalds (Leader of the Linux Kernel Project)

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • rafael_c_trujillo
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 2004
        Mmm, I just started having facing this same problem, I'm not able to
        make the linkstation go through the router, it works just fine
        inside the LAN, but can get to the linkstation from the WAN. I was
        blaming the router (D-Link), so I decided to try a different brand
        (Netgear), no luck. Anyone else?

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, James Stewart