RE: [LinkStation_General] moving unit from one network to another?

  • Bertram Dorfler
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 4, 2005

      It is not a problem to use the linkstation in different networks. You can have it set to use the local dhcp server to get the current network configuration automatically. No formatting will be required. But the linkstation is slow (about 5MB/s) so it will take a while to transfer data to other computers…

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 5, 2005
        Huh? 5MB/s? Are you sure? I just bought the Linkstation 160 and
        transferred 5 GB's over to it in about 15 minutes. "if" properly
        connected to a switch, you'll get the normal 10/100 speed with Auto-
        Duplexing. Perhaps you should check your NIC card speed. Your
        probably connecting at 10 MB/s, but collisions or something are
        dropping your transfer rate. If you have a NIC card that can do 100
        MB/s full duplex (or Auto-Duplex to a switch that can do 10/100),
        make sure they are going through your switch at the proper speed.
        Also, on most switches, they will autolink at 100 full duplex (200
        MB/s). If that doesn't help, try using a different cable and make
        sure straight thru/Crossover switch is set properly. On my Linksys
        switch, I get the full duplex light on to the Linkstation and the
        transfer rate is 94.118 MB/s. If you have'nt noticed any other
        problems, then my first guess is that the nic on your PC is only
        talking at 10 MB/s half duplex.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Bertram Dorfler
        <ernie73@g...> wrote:
        > It is not a problem to use the linkstation in different networks.
        You can
        > have it set to use the local dhcp server to get the current network
        > configuration automatically. No formatting will be required. But the
        > linkstation is slow (about 5MB/s) so it will take a while to
        transfer data
        > to other computers.
        >

        > _____

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129k54o5b/M=298184.6018725.7038619.300117
        6/D=gr

        oups/S=1705004750:HM/EXP=1110041812/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http:
        /www.n
        > etflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075> click here
        >

        > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
        M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=
        > :HM/A=2593423/rand=628638707>
        >

        > _____

        subject=Unsubscribe>

      • Ken
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 5, 2005

          <ernie73@g...> wrote:
          > It is not a problem to use the linkstation in different networks.
          You can
          > have it set to use the local dhcp server to get the current network
          > configuration automatically. No formatting will be required. But the
          > linkstation is slow (about 5MB/s) so it will take a while to
          transfer data
          > to other computers.
          >

          > _____

          subject=Unsubscribe>

        • born_daniel
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 5, 2005
            Ken,

            Do not confuse Mb (megabit) and MB (megabyte)...
            You nic at 100Mb/s will transfer (assuming no overhead at all), 12.5
            megabytes per second. This means that the max throughput over 15
            minutes is (12.5*60*15 = 11250 MB = 11GB).

            I just did a test transfer from my 160GB Linkstation to my computer:
            I copied a single 0.99GB file (1,073,565,696 bytes) from the LS to
            my computer. The LS is directly connected to my computer's Ethernet
            port and the computer was doing nothing else that was CPU consuming.
            I would consider this to be pretty much the ideal situation. The
            transfer took 2 minutes and 36 seconds.

            This translates to 1073565696/156 = 6881831 bytes/second = 6.56MB/s
            = 52.5Mb/s. Just slightly above half of the 100Mb/s "theoretical"
            transfer rate.

            Now if your LS is connected to a router/hub and you're writing to
            the disk instead of reading, you'll be getting close to 5MB/s (or at
            least not much more than 6.56MB/s...) ;-)

            Regards,
            Daniel
            P.S. 5GB in 15 minutes is 5.69MB/s... :-)

            :
            > /www.n
            > > etflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075> click here
            > >

            > > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
            > M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=
            > > :HM/A=2593423/rand=628638707>
            > >

            > > _____
            > >
            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > subject=Unsubscribe>

          • irvine_stock
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 5, 2005
              Ken,
              I am with daniel on this. The excepted speed of the linkStation
              (using samba) is 5MBytes/sec writes and 7Mbytes/sec reads. A lot of
              tests have been run on various OS versions and still validate these
              numbers. Some will get slightly lower depending on network
              conditions and computer setups. You are never going to get
              94MBytes/sec out of a LS. :-)
              The only way to speed it up seems to be changing from Samba to some
              other protocol without as much latency built-in. Even my 1Gbit
              LinkStation does not get much better performance either.
              Rich

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "born_daniel"
              <born_daniel@y...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > sure straight thru/Crossover switch is set properly. On my
              Linksys
              > > switch, I get the full duplex light on to the Linkstation and
              the
              > > transfer rate is 94.118 MB/s. If you have'nt noticed any other
              > > problems, then my first guess is that the nic on your PC is only
              > > talking at 10 MB/s half duplex.
              > >

              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Bertram Dorfler
              > > <ernie73@g...> wrote:
              > > > It is not a problem to use the linkstation in different
              > networks.
              > > You can
              > > > have it set to use the local dhcp server to get the current
              > network
              > > > configuration automatically. No formatting will be required.
              But
              > the
              > > > linkstation is slow (about 5MB/s) so it will take a while to

            • Bertram Dörfler
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 5, 2005
                thanks, that you both answer for me ;-)
                You really think samba is the problem? i thought the built in lan chip of the LS is just slow and thought about connecting an usb2-lan adapter to it...

                bert

                <born_daniel@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > sure straight thru/Crossover switch is set properly. On my
                Linksys
                > > switch, I get the full duplex light on to the Linkstation and
                the
                > > transfer rate is 94.118 MB/s.  If you have'nt noticed any other
                > > problems, then my first guess is that the nic on your PC is only
                > > talking at 10 MB/s half duplex.
                > >

                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Bertram Dorfler
                > > <ernie73@g...> wrote:
                > > > It is not a problem to use the linkstation in different
                > networks.
                > > You can
                > > > have it set to use the local dhcp server to get the current
                > network
                > > > configuration automatically. No formatting will be required.
                But
                > the
                > > > linkstation is slow (about 5MB/s) so it will take a while to

              • Marc Bizer
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 5, 2005
                  On 3/6/05 at 4:03 AM +0000, irvine_stock wrote:
                  >The only way to speed it up seems to be changing from Samba to some
                  >other protocol without as much latency built-in.

                  Netatalk 2 seems to do a bit better :-)

                  --Marc
                • Bertram Dörfler
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 5, 2005
                    mmh, maybe not with my pc ;-) what transfer rates do you get?
                    bert

                    On 3/6/05 at 4:03 AM +0000, irvine_stock wrote:
                    >The only way to speed it up seems to be changing from Samba to some
                    >other protocol without as much latency built-in.

                    Netatalk 2 seems to do a bit better :-)

                          --Marc

                  • Tim Lewis
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 6, 2005
                      Ken wrote:

                      > Huh? 5MB/s? Are you sure? I just bought the Linkstation 160 and
                      > transferred 5 GB's over to it in about 15 minutes.

                      I'm damn sure.

                      5 GB / 15 minutes = 5120 MB / 900 seconds = ~5.7 MB/s

                      - Tim
                    • Ken
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 8, 2005
                        I had the MB right, The transfer rate is measured as MB/minute
                        (Megabytes per minute.) My mistake for making it sound like *seconds.