moving unit from one network to another?

  • Sara Creque (Daphine-97)
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 4, 2005
      Hello,

      I have not yet purchased the LinkStation but am considering doing so
      for work. We need an external hard drive to house a large (160 GB)
      GIS database that another agency has developed. Because of the large
      size, they are transferring the data to others via external drives
      that we supply them.

      I am not very network savy, so my question is this: if they have to
      set up the Buffalo LinkStation on their network and assign an IP to
      load the data, how well will the transfer to our network work? Will
      we have to do any reformatting when we attach it to out network that
      would lead to a loss of data? Has anyone had success using the
      LinkStation on one network and then another?

      Any help would be appreciated. I need to place our order soon and
      need to know if I should consider other options.

      Thank you,
      Sara
    • Bertram Dorfler
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 4, 2005

        It is not a problem to use the linkstation in different networks. You can have it set to use the local dhcp server to get the current network configuration automatically. No formatting will be required. But the linkstation is slow (about 5MB/s) so it will take a while to transfer data to other computers…

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 5, 2005
          Huh? 5MB/s? Are you sure? I just bought the Linkstation 160 and
          transferred 5 GB's over to it in about 15 minutes. "if" properly
          connected to a switch, you'll get the normal 10/100 speed with Auto-
          Duplexing. Perhaps you should check your NIC card speed. Your
          probably connecting at 10 MB/s, but collisions or something are
          dropping your transfer rate. If you have a NIC card that can do 100
          MB/s full duplex (or Auto-Duplex to a switch that can do 10/100),
          make sure they are going through your switch at the proper speed.
          Also, on most switches, they will autolink at 100 full duplex (200
          MB/s). If that doesn't help, try using a different cable and make
          sure straight thru/Crossover switch is set properly. On my Linksys
          switch, I get the full duplex light on to the Linkstation and the
          transfer rate is 94.118 MB/s. If you have'nt noticed any other
          problems, then my first guess is that the nic on your PC is only
          talking at 10 MB/s half duplex.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Bertram Dorfler
          <ernie73@g...> wrote:
          > It is not a problem to use the linkstation in different networks.
          You can
          > have it set to use the local dhcp server to get the current network
          > configuration automatically. No formatting will be required. But the
          > linkstation is slow (about 5MB/s) so it will take a while to
          transfer data
          > to other computers.
          >

          > _____

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129k54o5b/M=298184.6018725.7038619.300117
          6/D=gr

          oups/S=1705004750:HM/EXP=1110041812/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http:
          /www.n
          > etflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075> click here
          >

          > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
          M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=
          > :HM/A=2593423/rand=628638707>
          >

          > _____

          subject=Unsubscribe>

        • Ken
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 5, 2005

            <ernie73@g...> wrote:
            > It is not a problem to use the linkstation in different networks.
            You can
            > have it set to use the local dhcp server to get the current network
            > configuration automatically. No formatting will be required. But the
            > linkstation is slow (about 5MB/s) so it will take a while to
            transfer data
            > to other computers.
            >

            > _____

            subject=Unsubscribe>

          • born_daniel
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 5, 2005
              Ken,

              Do not confuse Mb (megabit) and MB (megabyte)...
              You nic at 100Mb/s will transfer (assuming no overhead at all), 12.5
              megabytes per second. This means that the max throughput over 15
              minutes is (12.5*60*15 = 11250 MB = 11GB).

              I just did a test transfer from my 160GB Linkstation to my computer:
              I copied a single 0.99GB file (1,073,565,696 bytes) from the LS to
              my computer. The LS is directly connected to my computer's Ethernet
              port and the computer was doing nothing else that was CPU consuming.
              I would consider this to be pretty much the ideal situation. The
              transfer took 2 minutes and 36 seconds.

              This translates to 1073565696/156 = 6881831 bytes/second = 6.56MB/s
              = 52.5Mb/s. Just slightly above half of the 100Mb/s "theoretical"
              transfer rate.

              Now if your LS is connected to a router/hub and you're writing to
              the disk instead of reading, you'll be getting close to 5MB/s (or at
              least not much more than 6.56MB/s...) ;-)

              Regards,
              Daniel
              P.S. 5GB in 15 minutes is 5.69MB/s... :-)

              :
              > /www.n
              > > etflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075> click here
              > >

              > > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
              > M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=
              > > :HM/A=2593423/rand=628638707>
              > >

              > > _____
              > >
              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              > subject=Unsubscribe>

            • irvine_stock
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 5, 2005
                Ken,
                I am with daniel on this. The excepted speed of the linkStation
                (using samba) is 5MBytes/sec writes and 7Mbytes/sec reads. A lot of
                tests have been run on various OS versions and still validate these
                numbers. Some will get slightly lower depending on network
                conditions and computer setups. You are never going to get
                94MBytes/sec out of a LS. :-)
                The only way to speed it up seems to be changing from Samba to some
                other protocol without as much latency built-in. Even my 1Gbit
                LinkStation does not get much better performance either.
                Rich

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "born_daniel"
                <born_daniel@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > sure straight thru/Crossover switch is set properly. On my
                Linksys
                > > switch, I get the full duplex light on to the Linkstation and
                the
                > > transfer rate is 94.118 MB/s. If you have'nt noticed any other
                > > problems, then my first guess is that the nic on your PC is only
                > > talking at 10 MB/s half duplex.
                > >

                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Bertram Dorfler
                > > <ernie73@g...> wrote:
                > > > It is not a problem to use the linkstation in different
                > networks.
                > > You can
                > > > have it set to use the local dhcp server to get the current
                > network
                > > > configuration automatically. No formatting will be required.
                But
                > the
                > > > linkstation is slow (about 5MB/s) so it will take a while to

              • Bertram Dörfler
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 5, 2005
                  thanks, that you both answer for me ;-)
                  You really think samba is the problem? i thought the built in lan chip of the LS is just slow and thought about connecting an usb2-lan adapter to it...

                  bert

                  <born_daniel@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > sure straight thru/Crossover switch is set properly. On my
                  Linksys
                  > > switch, I get the full duplex light on to the Linkstation and
                  the
                  > > transfer rate is 94.118 MB/s.  If you have'nt noticed any other
                  > > problems, then my first guess is that the nic on your PC is only
                  > > talking at 10 MB/s half duplex.
                  > >

                  > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Bertram Dorfler
                  > > <ernie73@g...> wrote:
                  > > > It is not a problem to use the linkstation in different
                  > networks.
                  > > You can
                  > > > have it set to use the local dhcp server to get the current
                  > network
                  > > > configuration automatically. No formatting will be required.
                  But
                  > the
                  > > > linkstation is slow (about 5MB/s) so it will take a while to

                • Marc Bizer
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 5, 2005
                    On 3/6/05 at 4:03 AM +0000, irvine_stock wrote:
                    >The only way to speed it up seems to be changing from Samba to some
                    >other protocol without as much latency built-in.

                    Netatalk 2 seems to do a bit better :-)

                    --Marc
                  • Bertram Dörfler
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 5, 2005
                      mmh, maybe not with my pc ;-) what transfer rates do you get?
                      bert

                      On 3/6/05 at 4:03 AM +0000, irvine_stock wrote:
                      >The only way to speed it up seems to be changing from Samba to some
                      >other protocol without as much latency built-in.

                      Netatalk 2 seems to do a bit better :-)

                            --Marc

                    • Tim Lewis
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 6, 2005
                        Ken wrote:

                        > Huh? 5MB/s? Are you sure? I just bought the Linkstation 160 and
                        > transferred 5 GB's over to it in about 15 minutes.

                        I'm damn sure.

                        5 GB / 15 minutes = 5120 MB / 900 seconds = ~5.7 MB/s

                        - Tim
                      • Ken
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 8, 2005
                          I had the MB right, The transfer rate is measured as MB/minute
                          (Megabytes per minute.) My mistake for making it sound like *seconds.