RE: [LinkStation_General] Re: Linkstation 120 with firmware 2.0 hanging

  • Andrew Hodgson
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005

      The question I am asking is can we use the flash program from another
      older upgrade tool or just replace the image from the new version with
      the old one? I don't know about changing my unit to a Kurobox, but I
      may decide to put v1.5 on it again to get root, especially as my
      warranty is near expiration.

      Andrew.

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
        Andrew,
        It's probably risky. If the hardware is different and the flash is
        different size, you could corrupt your flash. Then you would have
        to return it or get creative with fixing the flash with JTAG.
        But if they were smart everything is the same with a slot added to
        hold the wireless card. The old firmware would probably work then.
        If its still under warranty I guess you can always return it if it
        goes bad!
        I would bet they changed the loader so it would not run the new
        firmware from the wrong box. So you probably will see the loader in
        the box will reject the new firmware download request anyway.
        If you add a serial port inside you can add telnet to any firmware
        they have. But you would have to open the box which will kill your
        warranty.
        <andrew@h...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > The question I am asking is can we use the flash program from
        another
        > older upgrade tool or just replace the image from the new version
        with
        > the old one? I don't know about changing my unit to a Kurobox,
        but I
        > may decide to put v1.5 on it again to get root, especially as my
        > warranty is near expiration.
        >
        > Andrew.

      • allentonya
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 4, 2005
          I installed 2.04 over 2.0 last night. This first attempt failed but
          the subsequent attempt succeeded. The new version is much more stable
          than 2.0. I was actually able to load a couple of Gig's worth of
          files onto it and this morning I was able to print. I will report as
          to the long term reliability of 2.04.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"