Slow data transfer to external HD

  • -/\-
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 3 2:14 PM
      How fast should be the data transfer to USB 2.0 HD connected to LS ?

      Thanks
    • Frenchy
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 13 11:33 PM
        Hi Here is how you can mesure your data transfer on the
        linkstation...
        Use this command for Disk : "/sbin/hdparm -t /dev/hda"

        For reference, my (1.46Fmw) box returns:
        Timing buffered disk reads: 31.22 MB/sec

        To speed things up, enable multisector Xfers from
        disk: "/sbin/hdparm -m16 /dev/hda"

        That brings up the subject of my next post... on LS driver issue.

        I don't recall wich internal device name the external USB disk is
        assigned -sorry.
        Sam.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "-/\\-"
        <lifeisfuneh@h...> wrote:
        > How fast should be the data transfer to USB 2.0 HD connected to
        LS ?

        > Thanks
      • Frenchy
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 13 11:52 PM
          From poking with hdparm ... I strongly suspect the LS disk interface
          driver has a setting issue.

          My box runs a Western Digital WB1200BB disk ("/sbin/hdparm -
          i /dev/hda") that supports UDMA5=100MB/s as reported on WD site.

          The hdparms reports that DMA mode is enabled and UDMA5 is selected
          but the timings show that the box is doing 31.22MB/s ("/sbin/hdparm -
          t /dev/hda") ie. DMA33 with some overhead.

          That tells me there is a disk transfer bottle neck in the disk
          interface. Since it's not the disk settings, it's either the driver
          or the chip itself that does not support Xfers above 33MB/s.

          Do we have someone who knows about the disk interface drivers?
          Sam.
        • Frenchy
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 14 4:31 AM
            Here I found the default device names for the external USB (located
            within "mellib.pl").
            For someone who is interested in finding out the USB disk Xfer
            speed, run this command:
            /sbin/hdparm -t {UsbDiskDeviceName}
            where {UsbDiskDeviceName}is one of the folowings:
            /dev/sda1
            /dev/sdb1
            /dev/sda5
            /dev/sdb5
            Example:
            /sbin/hdparm -t /dev/sda1
            I am not using my USB disk these days.

            Compare your results with the internal disk:
            "/sbin/hdparm -t /dev/hda3" and post some results...

            Sam.

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
            <glasseron@y...> wrote:

            > Hi Here is how you can mesure your data transfer on the
            > linkstation...
            > Use this command for Disk : "/sbin/hdparm -t /dev/hda"
            >
            > For reference, my (1.46Fmw) box returns:
            > Timing buffered disk reads: 31.22 MB/sec
            >
            > To speed things up, enable multisector Xfers from
            > disk: "/sbin/hdparm -m16 /dev/hda"
            >
            > That brings up the subject of my next post... on LS driver issue.
            >

            > I don't recall wich internal device name the external USB disk is
            > assigned -sorry.
            > Sam.
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "-/\\-"
            > <lifeisfuneh@h...> wrote:
            > > How fast should be the data transfer to USB 2.0 HD connected to
            > LS ?
            > >

            > > Thanks
          • Thom Mason
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 14 5:06 PM
              For more on disk performance see the wiki:

              http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?page=HardDrivePerformance

              <glasseron@y...> wrote:

              > Here I found the default device names for the external USB (located
              > within "mellib.pl").
              > For someone who is interested in finding out the USB disk Xfer
              > speed, run this command:
              > /sbin/hdparm -t {UsbDiskDeviceName}
              > where {UsbDiskDeviceName}is one of the folowings:
              > /dev/sda1
              > /dev/sdb1
              > /dev/sda5
              > /dev/sdb5
              > Example:
              > /sbin/hdparm -t /dev/sda1
              > I am not using my USB disk these days.
              >
              > Compare your results with the internal disk:
              > "/sbin/hdparm -t /dev/hda3" and post some results...
              >
              > Sam.
              >
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
              > <glasseron@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Here is how you can mesure your data transfer on the
              > > linkstation...
              > > Use this command for Disk : "/sbin/hdparm -t /dev/hda"
              > >
              > > For reference, my (1.46Fmw) box returns:
              > > Timing buffered disk reads: 31.22 MB/sec
              > >
              > > To speed things up, enable multisector Xfers from
              > > disk: "/sbin/hdparm -m16 /dev/hda"
              > >
              > > That brings up the subject of my next post... on LS driver issue.
              > >

              > > I don't recall wich internal device name the external USB disk is
              > > assigned -sorry.
              > > Sam.
              > >
              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "-/\\-"
              > > <lifeisfuneh@h...> wrote:
              > > > How fast should be the data transfer to USB 2.0 HD connected to
              > > LS ?
              > > >

              > > > Thanks
            • Frenchy
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 15 3:55 PM
                They are getting amazing disk cache read performance with Gentoo
                installed! About 220MB/sec where we get 70MB/sec from cache.
                The disk reads are about in the same range 30 to 40MB/sec

                The Kuro groups posting shows that USB disk Xfer is around 7 to
                10MB/s
                Sam.

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Thom Mason"
                <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:

                > For more on disk performance see the wiki:
                >
                > http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?
                page=HardDrivePerformance

                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
                > <glasseron@y...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Here I found the default device names for the external USB
                (located
                > > within "mellib.pl").
                > > For someone who is interested in finding out the USB disk Xfer
                > > speed, run this command:
                > > /sbin/hdparm -t {UsbDiskDeviceName}
                > > where {UsbDiskDeviceName}is one of the folowings:
                > > /dev/sda1
                > > /dev/sdb1
                > > /dev/sda5
                > > /dev/sdb5
                > > Example:
                > > /sbin/hdparm -t /dev/sda1
                > > I am not using my USB disk these days.
                > >
                > > Compare your results with the internal disk:
                > > "/sbin/hdparm -t /dev/hda3" and post some results...
                > >
                > > Sam.
                > >
                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
                > > <glasseron@y...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi Here is how you can mesure your data transfer on the
                > > > linkstation...
                > > > Use this command for Disk : "/sbin/hdparm -t /dev/hda"
                > > >
                > > > For reference, my (1.46Fmw) box returns:
                > > > Timing buffered disk reads: 31.22 MB/sec
                > > >
                > > > To speed things up, enable multisector Xfers from
                > > > disk: "/sbin/hdparm -m16 /dev/hda"
                > > >
                > > > That brings up the subject of my next post... on LS driver
                issue.

                > > > I don't recall wich internal device name the external USB disk
                is
                > > > assigned -sorry.
                > > > Sam.
                > > >
                > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "-/\\-"
                > > > LS ?

              • Art Age
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 15 4:45 PM
                  Those numbers are for the Kuro-HG, which has a faster
                  CPU. The more comparable numbers for LinkStation
                  owners are:

                  Timing cached reads: 284 MB in 2.02 seconds = 140.59
                  MB/sec
                  Timing buffered disk reads: 90 MB in 3.02 seconds =
                  29.80 MB/sec

                  My personal stats for my LS-120 running the Kuro
                  kernel and gentoo:

                  Timing cached reads: 284 MB in 2.00 seconds =
                  142.00 MB/sec
                  Timing buffered disk reads: 88 MB in 3.01 seconds
                  = 29.24 MB/sec

                  Sam

                  --- Frenchy <glasseron@...> wrote:

                  > They are getting amazing disk cache read performance
                  > with Gentoo
                  > installed! About 220MB/sec where we get 70MB/sec
                  > from cache.
                  > The disk reads are about in the same range 30 to
                  > 40MB/sec
                  >
                  > The Kuro groups posting shows that USB disk Xfer is
                  > around 7 to
                  > 10MB/s
                  > Sam.
                  >
                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Thom
                  > Mason"
                  > <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > For more on disk performance see the wiki:
                  > >
                  > > http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?
                  > page=HardDrivePerformance
                  > >

                  > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
                  > "Frenchy "
                  > > <glasseron@y...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Here I found the default device names for the
                  > external USB
                  > (located
                  > > > within "mellib.pl").
                  > > > For someone who is interested in finding out the
                  > USB disk Xfer
                  > > > speed, run this command:
                  > > > /sbin/hdparm -t {UsbDiskDeviceName}
                  > > > where {UsbDiskDeviceName}is one of the
                  > folowings:
                  > > > /dev/sda1
                  > > > /dev/sdb1
                  > > > /dev/sda5
                  > > > /dev/sdb5
                  > > > Example:
                  > > > /sbin/hdparm -t /dev/sda1
                  > > > I am not using my USB disk these days.
                  > > >
                  > > > Compare your results with the internal disk:
                  > > > "/sbin/hdparm -t /dev/hda3" and post some
                  > results...
                  > > >
                  > > > Sam.
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,

                  > transfer on the
                  > /dev/hda"

                  > from

                  > on LS driver
                  > issue.

                  > external USB disk
                  > is

                  > "-/\\-"
                  > 2.0 HD connected

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Frenchy
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 16 1:21 AM
                    Art,
                    From this link http://www.yamasita.jp/linkstation/0405/040531.html

                    I see that the IDE interface chip is a SiI0680ACL144 (PCI-to-
                    Ultra/133 Host Controller) and the CPU a 200MHz PowerPC.

                    Basically both the disk interface (SiliconLogic680) and the HDD
                    (Western WD1200BB) run 100MB/s or better - Wondering why we are
                    stuck with 33MB/s disk transfers?

                    Reboot and look for an answer in:
                    "cat /var/log/messages > /share/DiskXferIssue.txt"

                    kernel: Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31
                    kernel: ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override
                    with idebus=xx
                    kernel: CMD680: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 60
                    kernel: CMD680: chipset revision 2
                    kernel: CMD680: 100% native mode on irq 17
                    kernel: ide0: BM-DMA, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio {IDE hooked as
                    primary mst}
                    kernel: ide1: BM-DMA, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio {no IDE hooked
                    as primary slv}
                    kernel: hda: WDC WD1200BB-00GUA0, ATA DISK drive
                    kernel: ide0 at 0xbffef8-0xbffeff,0xbffef6 on irq 17
                    kernel: hda: 120034 MB w/2048KiB Cache, UDMA(100)

                    My interpretation of the above log, has it that the "BIOS" settings
                    run the default PIO Xfers

                    Message in the bottle... what can be done to set Xfers to DMA/100
                    instead of PIO/33?
                    kernel, "Bios" ...?
                    Sam.

                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Art Age <artagesw@y...>

                  • Frenchy
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 16 2:16 AM
                      The solution to the PIO transfer limitation is a Kernel patch to run
                      DMA. Regardless of the Kernel running the interface in PIO mode
                      the "hdparm -v /dev/hda" will report dma=1

                      Read this post about the same situation 'n fix:
                      www.geocities.com/tom_frese/inspiron5000_dma.html

                      With the right kernel the message log will show:
                      "kernel: ide0: BM-DMA, BIOS settings: hda:*DMA* {no longer pio}"

                      I don't know how to build kernels or else I would be dangerous to
                      myself... we need a kernel chief for this one or a better Buffalo
                      build.

                      <glasseron@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > owners are:
                      > >
                      > > Timing cached reads: 284 MB in 2.02 seconds = 140.59
                      > > MB/sec
                      > > Timing buffered disk reads: 90 MB in 3.02 seconds =
                      > > 29.80 MB/sec
                      > >
                      > > My personal stats for my LS-120 running the Kuro
                      > > kernel and gentoo:
                      > >
                      > > Timing cached reads: 284 MB in 2.00 seconds =
                      > > 142.00 MB/sec
                      > > Timing buffered disk reads: 88 MB in 3.01 seconds
                      > > = 29.24 MB/sec
                      > >
                      > > Sam
                      > >
                      > > --- Frenchy <glasseron@y...> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > They are getting amazing disk cache read performance
                      > > > with Gentoo
                      > > > installed! About 220MB/sec where we get 70MB/sec
                      > > > from cache.
                      > > > The disk reads are about in the same range 30 to
                      > > > 40MB/sec
                      > > >
                      > > > The Kuro groups posting shows that USB disk Xfer is

                    • Jonathan Schott
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 16 2:20 AM
                        Frenchy schrieb:
                        > [...]
                        >
                        > Reboot and look for an answer in:
                        > "cat /var/log/messages > /share/DiskXferIssue.txt"
                        >
                        > [log output]
                        >
                        > My interpretation of the above log, has it that the "BIOS" settings
                        > run the default PIO Xfers

                        Hi Frenchy,

                        your interpretation of the above is correct... but only until the start
                        scripts switch the U-DMA mode on.

                        Look at the result of "hdparm -d /dev/hda":

                        On my LS (250G version) I get:

                        /dev/hda:
                        using_dma = 1 (on)

                        So, DMA is on! Definitely!

                        With "hdparm -i /dev/hda" you can see in the last line of the reuslting
                        output which mode is enabled (*):

                        On my LS it reads:

                        DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5 udma6

                        Regards,
                        Jonathan