Linkstation 160 Questions

  • Dianne Chen
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2005
      Hi-
      I have a Linksys 160. I have installed it in a home
      LAN with Windows98 and Linux RH PCs. I have performed
      the "root" access hack (thanks), and I have installed
      OpenSSH as per the kind documentation provided in the
      docs section of the yahoo group. I am able to ssh from
      my linux, and use WinSCP3 from the PC to talk to the
      Linksys. Good.

      As I am new to setting up my own Linux/Windows LAN, I
      have many questions I hope the experts here can help
      me.

      On a stock Linksys unit, how is the disk formatted?
      FAT32, ext3?, something else? Does this matter? Can
      the drive be reformatted into one of the previous
      formats?

      I think I want to have the following setup:

      1) A Linux share, called Lin_share, that should only
      be written to by the Linux machine.
      a) Does that mean the Windows machine can not
      read it?
      b) Does that mean the Windows machine will be
      *unable* to write to it?
      2) A Windows share, called Win_share, that should
      only be written to by the Windows machines
      a) Does that mean that the Linux machine can
      not read it?
      b) Does that mean that the Linux machine will
      be *unable* to write to it?
      3) A Win/Linux share, called WinLin_share,
      readable/writable by both Linux and Windows machines
      a) Does this mean that it *must* be a samba
      share?
      b) Can a file be "double-clicked" to execute?
      I mean, if I am looking at the WinLin_share using my
      Linux machine, can I double click on the file
      document.pdf and have my Acrobat application fire up
      and read the document? Presently, I get a samba
      warning that says Linux app can't launch an app on a
      samba share. Is something not config'd right?

      Finally, what is the mount command for the Linux
      machine to see the Lin_share share?

      Much thanks,
      DC

      http://mail.yahoo.com