Re: hackkit

  • dfw0118
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 21, 2004
      I've read through that site. It has tons of information to go
      through. I'm not quite clear what the Hackkit is, but I thought it
      was like a distro he put together. However, I've never heard of it
      until I read that page.

      - David

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dyoung8888"
      <dyoung8888@y...> wrote:
      > Has anyone read yamashita-san's webpage yet?
      >
      > http://www.yamasita.jp/linkstation/
      >
      > It indicates that HackKit runs on it. If that doesnt ring any
      > bells, IIRC, HackKit is a target in OE.
      >
      > Anyways, if the language is an issue, this link is the list of
      > packages that are part of the HackKit target.
      >
      > http://www.yamasita.jp/linkstation/HackKit/1.1/packages.txt
      >
      > I dont own one of these boxes yet; so I cant try it myself.
    • mphoust2
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 23, 2004
        Has anyone had much success in translating these pages? I tried
        Google and babelfish.altavista.com. They both don't work.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dfw0118" <dfw1234@h...>
        wrote:
        > I've read through that site. It has tons of information to go
        > through. I'm not quite clear what the Hackkit is, but I thought it
        > was like a distro he put together. However, I've never heard of it
        > until I read that page.
        >
        > - David
        >
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dyoung8888"
        > <dyoung8888@y...> wrote:
        > > Has anyone read yamashita-san's webpage yet?
        > >
        > > http://www.yamasita.jp/linkstation/
        > >
        > > It indicates that HackKit runs on it. If that doesnt ring any
        > > bells, IIRC, HackKit is a target in OE.
        > >
        > > Anyways, if the language is an issue, this link is the list of
        > > packages that are part of the HackKit target.
        > >
        > > http://www.yamasita.jp/linkstation/HackKit/1.1/packages.txt
        > >
        > > I dont own one of these boxes yet; so I cant try it myself.
      • Thom Mason
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 23, 2004
          Babelfish doesn't work with the url but if you cut and paste a
          paragraph you get soemthing. Trouble is there's so much information
          it's hard to digest since you can't navigate through it webwise.
          They've been at it for almost a year so there seems to have been a
          lot of progress. The BBS is running from a linkstation!

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mphoust2"
          <buffalo247@b...> wrote:
          > Has anyone had much success in translating these pages? I tried
          > Google and babelfish.altavista.com. They both don't work.
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dfw0118"
          <dfw1234@h...>
          > wrote:
          > > I've read through that site. It has tons of information to go
          > > through. I'm not quite clear what the Hackkit is, but I thought
          it
          > > was like a distro he put together. However, I've never heard of
          it
          > > until I read that page.
          > >
          > > - David
          > >
          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dyoung8888"
          > > <dyoung8888@y...> wrote:
          > > > Has anyone read yamashita-san's webpage yet?
          > > >
          > > > http://www.yamasita.jp/linkstation/
          > > >
          > > > It indicates that HackKit runs on it. If that doesnt ring any
          > > > bells, IIRC, HackKit is a target in OE.
          > > >
          > > > Anyways, if the language is an issue, this link is the list of
          > > > packages that are part of the HackKit target.
          > > >
          > > > http://www.yamasita.jp/linkstation/HackKit/1.1/packages.txt
          > > >
          > > > I dont own one of these boxes yet; so I cant try it myself.
        • Andrew L
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 28, 2004
            Hackkit is basically a script and associated tools/software etc. to convert the LinkStation/Kuro Box to a Vine mini PC(Vine is a flavor of Linux that's popular in Japan). Most everything that Yamashita-san does is after conversion to Vine. But still some very interesting stuff.

            Andrew