Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: USB storage slowed down on purpose?

  • James Ronald
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
      What does RSN stand for?

      > It's probably still in there if your kernel is
      > based on the
      > HD-LAN_GPL source.
      >
      > I've recieved word this fix will be in the next
      > firmware release,
      > which is supposed to be RSN.
      >
      > thomas
      >
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rick
      > Flower <rickf@c...>
      > wrote:
      >>
      >> I've already done this on my updated kernel
      >> with no ill effects
      > yet..
      >> Of course, I've not actually tried using the
      >> USB yet, so I can't
      > really
      >> vouch for whether or not my changes solve the
      >> problem or not.
      >>
      >> -- Rick
      >>

      >> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, tad94564 wrote:
      >>

      >> > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
      >> > "dtaub001"
      > <taubert@g...>

      > yesterday,
      >> > and
      > cpu

      > of
      >> > output
      >> > "switchin").

      > I'll see
      >> > if
      >> > >

      >> > After suffering from this problem last night,
      >> > I found one
      > possible
      >> > cause of the poor performance. There may be
      >> > more, but this one
      > is
      >> > HUGE. Too bad just compiling a new kernel
      >> > will not fix this
      > problem.
      >> > Someone added a hardcoded printk to the
      >> > usb-storage subsystem
      > that is
      >> > not in the kernel-2.4 sources I have.
      >> >
      >> > Setting /proc/sys/kernel/printk to a higher
      >> > value doesn't stop
      > it
      >> > either.
      >> >
      >> > To fix this, you have to get the HD-LAN_GPL
      >> > source, along with
      >> > installation of the kuro box stuff, break
      >> > apart the zip file,
      > untar
      >> > the kernel source, goto drivers/usb/storage,
      >> > edit the file
      >> > transport.c (do a search for 'task-switch',
      >> > around line 531 in
      > my
      >> > sources), and DELETE that line, build a new
      >> > kernel/ramdisk, and
      > then
      >> > install.. and pray that it comes back.
      >> >
      >> > thomas
    • Rick Flower
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
        Unless there was another issue of the same type, that problem should
        be solved in my kernel.. I went in and removed the kprintf call or
        whatever it was. As for the kernel update, I'll probably not be doing
        any firmware updates anymore since my system isn't exactly stock anymore.

      • Roy M. Silvernail
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
          On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 15:25 -0400, James Ronald wrote:
          > What does RSN stand for?

          Real Soon Now. Not sure of the origin. I think I first saw it in
          Pournelle's Byte column.
          --
          Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
          "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFS
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 2, 2005
            This issue does appear to be fixed with firmware 1.45. Yay!

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "tad94564" <tdavis@b...>