Linkstation 120 with firmware 2.0 hanging

  • allentonya
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
      I have just received my Linkstation 120. The software indicates it
      have firmware version 2.0. It continually stops responding or
      "hanging". I am using a D-LINK DI-614+ router. I have 2 XP SP2 (1
      wireless) and a 2000 Pro machine on the network. I have been unable
      to print to my Deskjet 970 even though I am sure it is installed
      properly. Anyone have any suggestions?
    • Marc Bizer
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
        On 3/3/05 at 1:04 PM +0000, allentonya wrote:
        >I have just received my Linkstation 120. The software indicates it
        >have firmware version 2.0.

        Do you know what version of Netatalk it is running?

        --Marc
      • allentonya
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
          Stupid question. How can I tell?

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Marc Bizer <mbizer@m...>
          wrote:
          > On 3/3/05 at 1:04 PM +0000, allentonya wrote:
          > >I have just received my Linkstation 120. The software indicates it
          > >have firmware version 2.0.
          >
          > Do you know what version of Netatalk it is running?
          >
          > --Marc
        • Marc Bizer
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
            On 3/3/05 at 1:04 PM +0000, allentonya wrote:
            >I have just received my Linkstation 120. The software indicates it
            >have firmware version 2.0.

            Firmware version 2.0.4 is on the Buffalo site. Has anyone tried it?
            Does anyone know which version of Netatalk it includes?

            --Marc
          • allentonya
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
              I don't see it at their site. Where is it?

              Thanks

              wrote:
              > On 3/3/05 at 1:04 PM +0000, allentonya wrote:
              > >I have just received my Linkstation 120. The software indicates it
              > >have firmware version 2.0.
              >
              > Firmware version 2.0.4 is on the Buffalo site. Has anyone tried it?
              > Does anyone know which version of Netatalk it includes?
              >
              > --Marc
            • Marc Bizer
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
                On 3/3/05 at 1:14 PM +0000, allentonya wrote:
                >I don't see it at their site. Where is it?

                <ftp://206.135.38.243/HD-HLAN Firmware Final 10_28_04/fw_up204_10.zip>

                --Marc
              • Andrea Ieri
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
                  wrote:
                  > On 3/3/05 at 1:14 PM +0000, allentonya wrote:
                  > >I don't see it at their site. Where is it?
                  >
                  > <ftp://206.135.38.243/HD-HLAN Firmware Final 10_28_04/fw_up204_10.zip>
                  >
                  > --Marc

                  Well...what's the login and the password?

                  Thanks

                  -Shamael-
                • buffalo_linkstation@m-r-d.de
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
                    user: public
                    passwort: new stuff

                    > > On 3/3/05 at 1:14 PM +0000, allentonya wrote:
                    > > >I don't see it at their site. Where is it?
                    > >
                    > > <ftp://206.135.38.243/HD-HLAN Firmware Final 10_28_04/fw_up204_10.zip>
                    > >
                    > > --Marc
                    >
                    > Well...what's the login and the password?
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    >
                    > -Shamael-
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >

                    > To: LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com
                  • Marc Bizer
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
                      On 3/3/05 at 1:23 PM +0000, Andrea Ieri wrote:
                      >Well...what's the login and the password?

                      login: public
                      password: new stuff
                    • pro1911a1
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
                        wrote:
                        > On 3/3/05 at 1:23 PM +0000, Andrea Ieri wrote:
                        > >Well...what's the login and the password?
                        >
                        > login: public
                        > password: new stuff

                        i think this firmware is for version 2 hardware linkstation with
                        different flash size. anyway i think the flash program will reject
                        the upgrade if you try it.
                      • Marc Bizer
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
                          On 3/3/05 at 3:17 PM +0000, pro1911a1 wrote:
                          >i think this firmware is for version 2 hardware linkstation with
                          >different flash size. anyway i think the flash program will reject
                          >the upgrade if you try it.

                          There's a version 2 of the hardware? Does the new Linkstation unit
                          look the same?

                          --Marc
                        • pro1911a1
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
                            wrote:
                            > On 3/3/05 at 3:17 PM +0000, pro1911a1 wrote:
                            > >i think this firmware is for version 2 hardware linkstation with
                            > >different flash size. anyway i think the flash program will
                            reject
                            > >the upgrade if you try it.
                            >
                            > There's a version 2 of the hardware? Does the new Linkstation unit
                            > look the same?
                            >
                            > --Marc

                            it's not a new version, it just had a different hardware design. i
                            believe it has a mini pci built-in(empty slot only). maybe for
                            wireless radio card?!
                          • Joe Polk
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
                              Per Buffalo Support today, the 204 FW is for the new hardware revision.

                              <<JAV>>

                              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "pro1911a1"
                              <pro1911a1@y...> wrote:

                              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Marc Bizer <mbizer@m...>
                              > wrote:
                              > > On 3/3/05 at 3:17 PM +0000, pro1911a1 wrote:
                              > > >i think this firmware is for version 2 hardware linkstation with
                              > > >different flash size. anyway i think the flash program will
                              > reject
                              > > >the upgrade if you try it.
                              > >
                              > > There's a version 2 of the hardware? Does the new Linkstation unit
                              > > look the same?
                              > >
                              > > --Marc
                              >
                              > it's not a new version, it just had a different hardware design. i
                              > believe it has a mini pci built-in(empty slot only). maybe for
                              > wireless radio card?!
                            • irvine_stock
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
                                Interesting that they have jumped to 2.04_10 firmware.
                                I also noticed they added 1.45 firmware back onto the ftp site. :-)
                                Who is going to be the first to try 2.04?
                                Since it appears to stop or hang continually I would not want to
                                upgrade my box to it. Sounds like another science experiment like
                                MicroSoft WinBlows. They want us to debug it for them for free.
                                Rich
                                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "allentonya"
                                <allentonya@y...> wrote:

                                > I have just received my Linkstation 120. The software indicates it
                                > have firmware version 2.0. It continually stops responding or
                                > "hanging". I am using a D-LINK DI-614+ router. I have 2 XP SP2 (1
                                > wireless) and a 2000 Pro machine on the network. I have been
                                unable
                                > to print to my Deskjet 970 even though I am sure it is installed
                                > properly. Anyone have any suggestions?
                              • Andrew Hodgson
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005

                                  The flash program doesn't detect my older unit purchased back in June of
                                  last year.

                                  Andrew.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
                                    Andrew,
                                    It probably means the product id has been changed on the new board.
                                    It's different for the Kuro/HG too, so it does not get upgraded with
                                    the wrong firmware. So now the question is can we convert this new
                                    LS to a Kuro the same way?
                                    Rich
                                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Hodgson"
                                    <andrew@h...> wrote:
                                    > Hi,
                                    >
                                    > The flash program doesn't detect my older unit purchased back in
                                    June of
                                    > last year.
                                    >
                                    > Andrew.

                                  • Andrew Hodgson
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005

                                      The question I am asking is can we use the flash program from another
                                      older upgrade tool or just replace the image from the new version with
                                      the old one? I don't know about changing my unit to a Kurobox, but I
                                      may decide to put v1.5 on it again to get root, especially as my
                                      warranty is near expiration.

                                      <andrew@h...> wrote:
                                      > Hi,
                                      >
                                      > The flash program doesn't detect my older unit purchased back in
                                      June of
                                      > last year.
                                      >
                                      > Andrew.

                                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                                    • irvine_stock
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
                                        Andrew,
                                        It's probably risky. If the hardware is different and the flash is
                                        different size, you could corrupt your flash. Then you would have
                                        to return it or get creative with fixing the flash with JTAG.
                                        But if they were smart everything is the same with a slot added to
                                        hold the wireless card. The old firmware would probably work then.
                                        If its still under warranty I guess you can always return it if it
                                        goes bad!
                                        I would bet they changed the loader so it would not run the new
                                        firmware from the wrong box. So you probably will see the loader in
                                        the box will reject the new firmware download request anyway.
                                        If you add a serial port inside you can add telnet to any firmware
                                        they have. But you would have to open the box which will kill your
                                        warranty.
                                        <andrew@h...> wrote:
                                        > Hi,
                                        >
                                        > The question I am asking is can we use the flash program from
                                        another
                                        > older upgrade tool or just replace the image from the new version
                                        with
                                        > the old one? I don't know about changing my unit to a Kurobox,
                                        but I
                                        > may decide to put v1.5 on it again to get root, especially as my
                                        > warranty is near expiration.
                                        >
                                        > Andrew.

                                      • allentonya
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Mar 4, 2005
                                          I installed 2.04 over 2.0 last night. This first attempt failed but
                                          the subsequent attempt succeeded. The new version is much more stable
                                          than 2.0. I was actually able to load a couple of Gig's worth of
                                          files onto it and this morning I was able to print. I will report as
                                          to the long term reliability of 2.04.

                                          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"