Re: [LinkStation General] Re: External USB HD spin-down ?

  • gunnar@loering.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2005

      the external USB-Drive will spin-down. I'm using two LS250HD and each is
      connected with a Maxtor One Touch II. They are quit after a few
      minutes.

      Bye

      lifeisfuneh <lifeisfuneh@...> schrieb am 28.02.2005, 23:30:11:

      > Nobody is using external HD with the LS ? :(
      >
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "-/\\-"
      > <lifeisfuneh@h...> wrote:
      > > I like to attach another external USB drive to the LS...
      > > Will the drive spin down and go to sleep at the same time as the
      > internal
      > > or it will make noise 24/7 ?
      > >
      > > Thanks

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • Tim Lewis
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2005
        gunnar@... wrote:

        > the external USB-Drive will spin-down. I'm using two LS250HD and each is
        > connected with a Maxtor One Touch II. They are quit after a few
        > minutes.

        That's because Maxtor's OneTouch drives do their *own* spindown.
        The LinkStation cannot spin down external drives, because there
        is no support in the 2.4. kernel to spin down USB drives. In fact,
        I don't think there is support in recent kernels to spin down USB
        drives.

        - Tim