Re: Is my Linkstation now a Brick?

  • irvine_stock
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 27, 2005
      Troy,
      I have been there more than once. Not to worry its probably not
      dead. If you can ping it you should be able to fix it. Mine is
      really a Kuro converted to a LinkStation.
      Nuke the data and partitions on the drive. Let the updater rebuild
      it properly. Its tricky getting it right the first few times. :-)
      I have seen mine fail renewing many times. Make sure if you have XP-
      SP2 that you have turned off the firewall. This causes the response
      you are having. Also make sure your virus software is stopped too.
      Norton virus software is really a virus by itself and infects other
      thinks we don't know about. Either could trick the updater into
      failing.
      I updated to 1.46 today and it failed just like yours. Then I
      turned off everything and it completed.
      Next, I installed telnet back into 1.46 so I can reconfigure other
      things. Its only 3 files and a reboot.

      Rich
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "troyaw2000"
      <troy.williams@g...> wrote:

      > Well it looks as though I have a paper weight. I tried deleting
      the partitions (all 4 of them)
      > and created a single DOS partition under linux with fdisk. I then
      put the drive back in the
      > LS connected directly to my PC and tried the 1.44 firmware update
      again. When I first start
      > the updater the info screen shows --- under current firmware. It
      gets all the way to the
      > end and then fails. I put the drive back into the linux box and
      ran fdisk, the 4 partitions
      > were back again. So it looks like it is trying but just cannot
      finialize.

      > Sad day....
      >

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "troyaw2000"
      <troy.williams@g...> wrote:

      > > Tim,
      > > Thanks for the advice, the firmware updater does see the device
      and
      > > goes through all the right steps "saving settins" "renewing
      firmware"
      > > and then it stops with a failure warning. If I restart the LS I
      can at
      > > least ping it by 192.168.11.150 so maybe all is not lost.
      > >
      > > I never changed the jumper on the drive, I just left it at the
      default
      > > cable select....no wait my drive is set from the factory as
      Single
      > > master drive...hmmm.
      > >
      > > I did put the drive in my linux box and used fdisk to delete all
      > > partitions, I did not however put any partitions back on. I will
      try
      > > the single DOS partition as you suggested. I will let you know
      how it
      > > goes.
      > >
      > > Thanks again.
      > >
      > > Troy
      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Tim Lewis
      <spurp@c...> wrote:

      So I

      > > > Failed how? How far did it get? Could the updater find the
      box?

      > > > You're right. That updater only recognizes Kuroboxes and vice
      > > > versa for the LinkStation updater. To make a Kurobox, you have
      > > > to use the LinkStation updater, and replace the LinkStation
      image
      > > > with the Kuro image:
      > > >
      > > http://kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?
      > page=Turn+your+Linkstation+into+a+Kuro+Box

      > > > I'm pretty sure you can't brick it until you overwrite the
      flash
      > > > with a bad image. However, I think you need make damn sure you
      > > > completely erased the drive.
      > > >
      > > > Since you already destroyed the drive once, put the drive
      > > > in a Linux machine or boot Knoppix and create a new empty DOS
      > > > partition table using fdisk.
      > > >
      > > > Now put it back in the LinkStation. Stop, don't put the case
      > > > on yet - did you set the HD jumper correctly?
      > > >
      > > > Plug the LinkStation into the Ethernet port of your machine,
      and
      > > > flip the crossover switch. The LinkStation should set its
      address
      > > > to 192.168.11.150 once it boots, and you should be able to
      ping it
      > > > from your machine.
      > > >
      > > > Now turn on the LinkStation. While booting the kernel, it
      should
      > > > figure out that there is no root partition, so it should boot
      into
      > > > its initrd from flash, which will format the drive if
      necessary.
      > > > Once this is done, it should just sit there, because it can't
      > > > change the root filesystem.
      > > >
      > > > Now run the updater. The updater should be able to locate the
      > > > LinkStation at this point, and it should be able to update it.
      > > >
      > > > - Tim
    • cherrytreeproduction
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 23 9:39 AM
        how was it possible to install or turn on telnet with firmware 1.46??

        is it possible to install it on firmware 1.47,too?

        dont need it...would just be interesting....

        regards mindbender

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"
        <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:

> [...]
        > Single
        > > > master drive...hmmm.
        > > >
        > > > I did put the drive in my linux box and used fdisk to delete all
        > > > partitions, I did not however put any partitions back on. I will
        > try
        > > > the single DOS partition as you suggested. I will let you know
        > how it
        > > > goes.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks again.
        > > >
        > > > Troy
        > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Tim Lewis

        > So I
        > is where

        > box?

        > problem, I
        > admin to blow
        > not even

        > image
        > > > >
        > > > http://kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?
        > > page=Turn+your+Linkstation+into+a+Kuro+Box

      • irvine_stock
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 25 2:30 PM
          Don't know about 1.47 yet. But it should work the same way.
          Three files are missing. Copy them back and your up. You usually
          can upgrade and downgrade as needed in case something goes wrong.
          The firewall in XP-SP2 makes it harder now. It makes it look like a
          Buffalo upgrader problem. It could be both.
          I saw how easy telnet was from somebody else and enhanced the idea.
          You basically fire up 1.45 which has telnet. This lets you do what
          you need to.
          Add a web link that copies the telnet files back into the right
          place after the update. I included by password file too but the
          upgrade should leave it alone as long as you don't pick "root" as
          your log in. I picked "myroot". Add a password if you like.
          Then upgrade to 1.46 or 1.47.
          Then run your special web page (usually at cgi-bin3).
          It copies telnet back in. After a reboot your in.
          Rich
          <cherrytreeproduction@y...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > ran fdisk, the 4 partitions
          > > > were back again. So it looks like it is trying but just cannot
          > > finialize.
          > > >

          > > > Sad day....
          > > >

          > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "troyaw2000"

          > > and
          > > firmware"
          LS I
          > > can at

          > > default
          > > Single

          > > try
          > > how it

          > > So I
          > > is where

          > > box?

          > > problem, I
          > > admin to blow
          > > not even

          LinkStation
          > > image

          > > > page=Turn+your+Linkstation+into+a+Kuro+Box

        • banta156
          Message 4 of 11 , May 26, 2005
            Hello,
            I could really use some help wth this. Starting with v1.45_13, I
            had no problems with telnet. I created the script to copy the 3
            files back to the proper directories after the update to v1.46.
            Tested the script and it ran fine.
            Here's the problem, when updating to v1.46, the upgrade deletes the
            cgi-bin3 folder. I tried to carry out the same script, this time
            from cg-bin2, which does not get deleted with the upgrade. However,
            the script file DOES get deleted. I think the entire directory gets
            wiped out and replaced. Folders like //share do not get deleted,
            but, I cannot run the script from there.

            How do I get these three files back into the proper directories to
            enable telnet with firware v1.46? I would like to do this as
            described, without having to tear the LinkStation apart. But, if
            that is the only way, then I will do that. Just need some guidance.

            Could anyone shed some light on this for me. How can I get the
            updater not to eliminate my scripts and/or, where can I find info
            that will explain how to tear this puppy apart and manually add the
            needed files?

            Any help is greatly appreciated!
            Banta

            <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:

> [...]
            > rebuild
            > > > it properly. Its tricky getting it right the first few
            times. :-
            > )
            > > > I have seen mine fail renewing many times. Make sure if you
            > have XP-
            > > > SP2 that you have turned off the firewall. This causes the
            > response
            > > > you are having. Also make sure your virus software is stopped
            > too.
            > > > Norton virus software is really a virus by itself and infects
            > other
            > > > thinks we don't know about. Either could trick the updater
            into
            > > > failing.
            > > > I updated to 1.46 today and it failed just like yours. Then I
            > > > turned off everything and it completed.
            > > > Next, I installed telnet back into 1.46 so I can reconfigure

          • irvine_stock
            Message 5 of 11 , May 26, 2005
              Hi Banta,
              I got an Email from someone else that v1.47 erases the cgi-bin3
              folder. Frankly I could not remember the exact steps myself anymore.
              I double checked and I do have the V1.46_10 running telnet on my Kuro
              box. I converted it to a LinkStation since the Kuro stuff has not
              been going anywhere but Debian or Gentoo (not that its a bad thing!).
              I did not remember having that problem. But since I have a serial
              port connector soldered to my Kuro, I can copy files from the //share
              back into the cgi directory by logging into root from there. So I
              could have "cheated" and done that.
              I have not had time to go back and upgrade the box to 1.47 either.
              I understand they may have made some more directory changes in that
              one to screw it up some more.
              If I get a chance I might try the 1.47 trick. If you want to do it
              right away, add a serial port.
              Rich
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "banta156" <oldtoy@b...>

            • banta156
              Message 6 of 11 , May 27, 2005
                Thank you for the reply.
                It actually turned out to be fairly easy to get telnet enabled on
                v1.46. My problems were because I was following the wrong set of
                instructions for my set up.
                For anyone interested...
                The key to making this work was in the symlink. While telnet is
                enabled in version 1.45_13, you merely create a symbolic link, which
                is like a shortcut, in your /share directory to /www and /etc. Now,
                when you upgrade the firmware, you still have access through /share
                to get to the directories mentioned above. From there you just
                create a cgi-bin3 folder, copy the files to the folder, run the
                script and your done.
                Follow the instruction in post # 1072.

                Always remember to turn off enabled firewalls when updating firmware.
                Banta