Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Is my Linkstation now a Brick?

  • Tim Lewis
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 27, 2005
      troyaw2000 wrote:

      > Well it looks as though I have a paper weight. I tried deleting the partitions (all 4 of them)
      > and created a single DOS partition under linux with fdisk.

      Uh, you need to create a DOS partition TABLE, not create a
      DOS partition. I believe that this is option "o" in fdisk.

      It's a long shot at this point, but what I was getting at is that
      your partition table might be all screwed up and somehow this
      interferes with the updater.

      > I then put the drive back in the
      > LS connected directly to my PC and tried the 1.44 firmware update again. When I first start
      > the updater the info screen shows --- under current firmware. It gets all the way to the
      > end and then fails. I put the drive back into the linux box and ran fdisk, the 4 partitions
      > were back again. So it looks like it is trying but just cannot finialize.

      Okay, silly question: Did you try booting the LinkStation after it failed, or
      just assume it was dead? It's possible that the updater uses a new definition
      of the word "failure" that we were previously unaware of.

      That being said, if you haven't touched the flash, and you can indeed ping it,
      then it's not quite an ex-LinkStation (it's just pining). You should still be
      able to update it at this point.

      If all else fails, you may have to get a tar of the filesystem from somebody,
      and copy it manually onto your drive.

      - Tim
    • irvine_stock
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 27, 2005
        Troy,
        I have been there more than once. Not to worry its probably not
        dead. If you can ping it you should be able to fix it. Mine is
        really a Kuro converted to a LinkStation.
        Nuke the data and partitions on the drive. Let the updater rebuild
        it properly. Its tricky getting it right the first few times. :-)
        I have seen mine fail renewing many times. Make sure if you have XP-
        SP2 that you have turned off the firewall. This causes the response
        you are having. Also make sure your virus software is stopped too.
        Norton virus software is really a virus by itself and infects other
        thinks we don't know about. Either could trick the updater into
        failing.
        I updated to 1.46 today and it failed just like yours. Then I
        turned off everything and it completed.
        Next, I installed telnet back into 1.46 so I can reconfigure other
        things. Its only 3 files and a reboot.

        Rich
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "troyaw2000"
        <troy.williams@g...> wrote:

        > Well it looks as though I have a paper weight. I tried deleting
        the partitions (all 4 of them)
        > and created a single DOS partition under linux with fdisk. I then
        put the drive back in the
        > LS connected directly to my PC and tried the 1.44 firmware update
        again. When I first start
        > the updater the info screen shows --- under current firmware. It
        gets all the way to the
        > end and then fails. I put the drive back into the linux box and
        ran fdisk, the 4 partitions
        > were back again. So it looks like it is trying but just cannot
        finialize.

        > Sad day....
        >

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "troyaw2000"
        <troy.williams@g...> wrote:

        > > Tim,
        > > Thanks for the advice, the firmware updater does see the device
        and
        > > goes through all the right steps "saving settins" "renewing
        firmware"
        > > and then it stops with a failure warning. If I restart the LS I
        can at
        > > least ping it by 192.168.11.150 so maybe all is not lost.
        > >
        > > I never changed the jumper on the drive, I just left it at the
        default
        > > cable select....no wait my drive is set from the factory as
        Single
        > > master drive...hmmm.
        > >
        > > I did put the drive in my linux box and used fdisk to delete all
        > > partitions, I did not however put any partitions back on. I will
        try
        > > the single DOS partition as you suggested. I will let you know
        how it
        > > goes.
        > >
        > > Thanks again.
        > >
        > > Troy
        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Tim Lewis
        <spurp@c...> wrote:

        So I

        > > > Failed how? How far did it get? Could the updater find the
        box?

        > > > You're right. That updater only recognizes Kuroboxes and vice
        > > > versa for the LinkStation updater. To make a Kurobox, you have
        > > > to use the LinkStation updater, and replace the LinkStation
        image
        > > > with the Kuro image:
        > > >
        > > http://kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?
        > page=Turn+your+Linkstation+into+a+Kuro+Box

        > > > I'm pretty sure you can't brick it until you overwrite the
        flash
        > > > with a bad image. However, I think you need make damn sure you
        > > > completely erased the drive.
        > > >
        > > > Since you already destroyed the drive once, put the drive
        > > > in a Linux machine or boot Knoppix and create a new empty DOS
        > > > partition table using fdisk.
        > > >
        > > > Now put it back in the LinkStation. Stop, don't put the case
        > > > on yet - did you set the HD jumper correctly?
        > > >
        > > > Plug the LinkStation into the Ethernet port of your machine,
        and
        > > > flip the crossover switch. The LinkStation should set its
        address
        > > > to 192.168.11.150 once it boots, and you should be able to
        ping it
        > > > from your machine.
        > > >
        > > > Now turn on the LinkStation. While booting the kernel, it
        should
        > > > figure out that there is no root partition, so it should boot
        into
        > > > its initrd from flash, which will format the drive if
        necessary.
        > > > Once this is done, it should just sit there, because it can't
        > > > change the root filesystem.
        > > >
        > > > Now run the updater. The updater should be able to locate the
        > > > LinkStation at this point, and it should be able to update it.
        > > >
        > > > - Tim
      • cherrytreeproduction
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 23, 2005
          how was it possible to install or turn on telnet with firmware 1.46??

          is it possible to install it on firmware 1.47,too?

          dont need it...would just be interesting....

          regards mindbender

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"
          <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:

> [...]
          > Single
          > > > master drive...hmmm.
          > > >
          > > > I did put the drive in my linux box and used fdisk to delete all
          > > > partitions, I did not however put any partitions back on. I will
          > try
          > > > the single DOS partition as you suggested. I will let you know
          > how it
          > > > goes.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks again.
          > > >
          > > > Troy
          > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Tim Lewis

          > So I
          > is where

          > box?

          > problem, I
          > admin to blow
          > not even

          > image
          > > > >
          > > > http://kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?
          > > page=Turn+your+Linkstation+into+a+Kuro+Box

        • irvine_stock
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 25, 2005
            Don't know about 1.47 yet. But it should work the same way.
            Three files are missing. Copy them back and your up. You usually
            can upgrade and downgrade as needed in case something goes wrong.
            The firewall in XP-SP2 makes it harder now. It makes it look like a
            Buffalo upgrader problem. It could be both.
            I saw how easy telnet was from somebody else and enhanced the idea.
            You basically fire up 1.45 which has telnet. This lets you do what
            you need to.
            Add a web link that copies the telnet files back into the right
            place after the update. I included by password file too but the
            upgrade should leave it alone as long as you don't pick "root" as
            your log in. I picked "myroot". Add a password if you like.
            Then upgrade to 1.46 or 1.47.
            Then run your special web page (usually at cgi-bin3).
            It copies telnet back in. After a reboot your in.
            Rich
            <cherrytreeproduction@y...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > ran fdisk, the 4 partitions
            > > > were back again. So it looks like it is trying but just cannot
            > > finialize.
            > > >

            > > > Sad day....
            > > >

            > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "troyaw2000"

            > > and
            > > firmware"
            LS I
            > > can at

            > > default
            > > Single

            > > try
            > > how it

            > > So I
            > > is where

            > > box?

            > > problem, I
            > > admin to blow
            > > not even

            LinkStation
            > > image

            > > > page=Turn+your+Linkstation+into+a+Kuro+Box

          • banta156
            Message 5 of 11 , May 26, 2005
              Hello,
              I could really use some help wth this. Starting with v1.45_13, I
              had no problems with telnet. I created the script to copy the 3
              files back to the proper directories after the update to v1.46.
              Tested the script and it ran fine.
              Here's the problem, when updating to v1.46, the upgrade deletes the
              cgi-bin3 folder. I tried to carry out the same script, this time
              from cg-bin2, which does not get deleted with the upgrade. However,
              the script file DOES get deleted. I think the entire directory gets
              wiped out and replaced. Folders like //share do not get deleted,
              but, I cannot run the script from there.

              How do I get these three files back into the proper directories to
              enable telnet with firware v1.46? I would like to do this as
              described, without having to tear the LinkStation apart. But, if
              that is the only way, then I will do that. Just need some guidance.

              Could anyone shed some light on this for me. How can I get the
              updater not to eliminate my scripts and/or, where can I find info
              that will explain how to tear this puppy apart and manually add the
              needed files?

              Any help is greatly appreciated!
              Banta

              <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:

> [...]
              > rebuild
              > > > it properly. Its tricky getting it right the first few
              times. :-
              > )
              > > > I have seen mine fail renewing many times. Make sure if you
              > have XP-
              > > > SP2 that you have turned off the firewall. This causes the
              > response
              > > > you are having. Also make sure your virus software is stopped
              > too.
              > > > Norton virus software is really a virus by itself and infects
              > other
              > > > thinks we don't know about. Either could trick the updater
              into
              > > > failing.
              > > > I updated to 1.46 today and it failed just like yours. Then I
              > > > turned off everything and it completed.
              > > > Next, I installed telnet back into 1.46 so I can reconfigure

            • irvine_stock
              Message 6 of 11 , May 26, 2005
                Hi Banta,
                I got an Email from someone else that v1.47 erases the cgi-bin3
                folder. Frankly I could not remember the exact steps myself anymore.
                I double checked and I do have the V1.46_10 running telnet on my Kuro
                box. I converted it to a LinkStation since the Kuro stuff has not
                been going anywhere but Debian or Gentoo (not that its a bad thing!).
                I did not remember having that problem. But since I have a serial
                port connector soldered to my Kuro, I can copy files from the //share
                back into the cgi directory by logging into root from there. So I
                could have "cheated" and done that.
                I have not had time to go back and upgrade the box to 1.47 either.
                I understand they may have made some more directory changes in that
                one to screw it up some more.
                If I get a chance I might try the 1.47 trick. If you want to do it
                right away, add a serial port.
                Rich
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "banta156" <oldtoy@b...>

              • banta156
                Message 7 of 11 , May 27, 2005
                  Thank you for the reply.
                  It actually turned out to be fairly easy to get telnet enabled on
                  v1.46. My problems were because I was following the wrong set of
                  instructions for my set up.
                  For anyone interested...
                  The key to making this work was in the symlink. While telnet is
                  enabled in version 1.45_13, you merely create a symbolic link, which
                  is like a shortcut, in your /share directory to /www and /etc. Now,
                  when you upgrade the firmware, you still have access through /share
                  to get to the directories mentioned above. From there you just
                  create a cgi-bin3 folder, copy the files to the folder, run the
                  script and your done.
                  Follow the instruction in post # 1072.

                  Always remember to turn off enabled firewalls when updating firmware.
                  Banta