External USB HD spin-down ?

  • -/\-
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 27, 2005
      I like to attach another external USB drive to the LS...
      Will the drive spin down and go to sleep at the same time as the internal
      or it will make noise 24/7 ?

      Thanks
    • lifeisfuneh
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 28, 2005
        Nobody is using external HD with the LS ? :(

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "-/\\-"
        <lifeisfuneh@h...> wrote:
        > I like to attach another external USB drive to the LS...
        > Will the drive spin down and go to sleep at the same time as the
        internal
        > or it will make noise 24/7 ?
        >
        > Thanks
      • bormioonline
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1 6:37 AM
          <lifeisfuneh@h...> wrote:

          > Nobody is using external HD with the LS ? :(
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "-/\\-"
          > <lifeisfuneh@h...> wrote:
          > > I like to attach another external USB drive to the LS...
          > > Will the drive spin down and go to sleep at the same time as the
          > internal
          > > or it will make noise 24/7 ?
          > >
          > > Thanks

          I'm using Maxtor 300Gb external it spins down and up automatically.
          I run both the LS and Maxtot 24x7.

          Hope that helps.
        • James Ronald
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1 8:13 AM
            Your common external USB HD will not spin down. Maxtor and a couple others
            are either set to spin down by a default setting on the drive or can be
            setup to do so using the vendors utility from Windows. What's important is
            that the drive have the ability retain such settings once the power is
            removed because there is currently no tool to set such setting for USB HDs
            available for Linux.

            Someone please prove me wrong!!!

            JR

            > Nobody is using external HD with the LS ? :(
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "-/\\-"
            > <lifeisfuneh@h...> wrote:
            >> I like to attach another external USB drive to the LS...
            >> Will the drive spin down and go to sleep at the same time as the
            > internal
            >> or it will make noise 24/7 ?

          • -/\-
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 1 1:33 PM
              Well that doesn't make me happy :(

              "James Ronald" <jronald@...> wrote in
              message news:000c01c51e79$8b5903f0$6601a8c0@jimxp...

              > Your common external USB HD will not spin down. Maxtor and a couple
              > others
              > are either set to spin down by a default setting on the drive or can be
              > setup to do so using the vendors utility from Windows. What's important
              > is
              > that the drive have the ability retain such settings once the power is
              > removed because there is currently no tool to set such setting for USB HDs
              > available for Linux.
              >
              > Someone please prove me wrong!!!
              >
              > JR
              >

              >> Nobody is using external HD with the LS ? :(
              >>
              >> --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
              >> "-/\\-"
              >> <lifeisfuneh@h...> wrote:
              >>> I like to attach another external USB drive to the LS...
              >>> Will the drive spin down and go to sleep at the same time as the
              >> internal
              >>> or it will make noise 24/7 ?
              >>>

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • stratmoens
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 1 6:19 PM
                You are correct in my experience. The Buffalo Drive Station doesn't
                spin down on its own. Neither does Western Digital.

                <jronald@c...> wrote:
                > Your common external USB HD will not spin down. Maxtor and a
                couple others
                > are either set to spin down by a default setting on the drive or
                can be
                > setup to do so using the vendors utility from Windows. What's
                important is
                > that the drive have the ability retain such settings once the
                power is
                > removed because there is currently no tool to set such setting for
                USB HDs
                > available for Linux.
                >
                > Someone please prove me wrong!!!
                >
                > JR
                >

                > > Nobody is using external HD with the LS ? :(
                > >
                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "-/\\-"
                > > <lifeisfuneh@h...> wrote:
                > >> I like to attach another external USB drive to the LS...
                > >> Will the drive spin down and go to sleep at the same time as the
                > > internal
                > >> or it will make noise 24/7 ?

              • born_daniel
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 2 4:07 AM
                  I am not using an external HD with the LS but I think that it is more
                  a function of your external disk than the LS itself and it would
                  definitely not spin down *at the same time* as the internal HDD
                  unless you stopped accessing both at the same time and both were set
                  to spin down after the same delay.

                  Daniel

                  <lifeisfuneh@h...> wrote:

                  > Nobody is using external HD with the LS ? :(
                  >
                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "-/\\-"
                  > <lifeisfuneh@h...> wrote:
                  > > I like to attach another external USB drive to the LS...
                  > > Will the drive spin down and go to sleep at the same time as the
                  > internal
                  > > or it will make noise 24/7 ?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks
                • lifeisfuneh
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 5 12:45 PM
                    Are you using the Maxtor OneTouch or One touch II ?

                    Thanks !

                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bormioonline"