Can't read super block

  • Garth Volbeck
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2005
      I have a 250 Gig Linkstation with trouble, won't boot, red light
      blinking 6 times. Using the instruction here, I've taken the HD out
      and set it up as a slave in my Desktop. XP doesn't recognize the
      drive at all.

      Knoppix recognixes the Linkstation drive as hdb, and shows partitions
      hdb1, hdb2, & hdb3 on the desktop, just as my hda partitons are
      available on the desktop.

      After reading about the "Magic number" i found fix_ext2_magic and, as
      root, ran "./fix_ext2_magic /dev/hdb1" from commandline. This was the
      output:
      Block group 0: magic number = 0xef53
      Block group 1: magic number = 0xef53
      Can't read super block
      Block group 3

      I have data I would like to copy from hdb to hda.
      I would like to rebuild this as a SlimServer.
      Is my current data saved on hdb3?

      Any suggestions on how to mount/repair this HD?